200-500mm question.

I want to sell my 200-500mm (purchased a 500mm PF) but was told there was moisture in it. So is this lens now a write-off or is it worth repair (if possible) since it probably would only fetch $500-$600 anyway. Seems to be fine to my untrained eye.

Thanks
Ron

Who noticed it had moisture and how?

I'd be curious to know the answer to that as well.
Might just be someone looking to get a discounted deal on a lens.
Humidifier thermometers can be bought at a cigar or smoke shop. Not very expensive.
Place it in a box, sealed bag or tupperware container just big enough to fit it and the lens.
See what the humidity reading is after a couple of days.
If there is moisture in the lens it should register well above 50-70% humidity in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Before buying expensive desiccant, try rice instead...

Lateron it'll be a Nikon-flavored meal... :cool: :) :D

Kind regards
Klaus
Lens and rice, yum. Thanks, good idea.
Who noticed it had moisture and how?

Rice is cheap but can be dusty. If you are going to use rice might as well use minute rice. It really sucks up moisture.
Thanks Dan.

I'd be curious to know the answer to that as well.
Might just be someone looking to get a discounted deal on a lens.
Humidifier thermometers can be bought at a cigar or smoke shop. Not very expensive.
Place it in a box, sealed bag or tupperware container just big enough to fit it and the lens.
See what the humidity reading is after a couple of days.
If there is moisture in the lens it should register well above 50-70% humidity in a couple of days.
Thanks Dave. Large on-line reputable retailer.

Purchased a large desiccant canister with rechargeable desiccant. Will seal the lens in a bag with it and see what happens. As I understand the beads will change color as they absorb moisture. Amazon Prime days to the rescue.
This video compares various methods to dry out camera/lens/phone. Results will surprise you.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom