2007 Philmont Scout Ranch Trek

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by acena, Jul 31, 2007.

1. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I recently took some time off from sports photography for a little rest and relaxation by going on a backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts of America to The Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron, New Mexico. Crew 711L3 comprising 11 scouts and 3 adult advisors from Troop 33 in Scotch Plains-Fanwood travelled via Denver and Colorado Springs to the Southern Rockies located in New Mexico. From the Philmont Scout Ranch located at an elevation of about 6,500 feet, crew 711L3 traversed 68.5 miles on foot over 10 days through the wilderness covering several mountain tops, including Mount Phillips at 11,700 feet.

All shots taken with a Nikon P5000. They are okay but I sure wished I had a DSLR with me but then my pack was already at 60lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5VpNGcp9yU

Garden of the Gods
    Pikes Peak (I am in the cowboy hat)
    View attachment 108919
    Whitewater Rafting (taken by outfitter)
    View attachment 108920
    Philmont Scout Ranch
    View attachment 108921
    View attachment 108922
    Philmont - Top of Mt Phillips at 11,700ft
    View attachment 108923
    View attachment 108924

2. Great shots! I bet the kids would love to have some copies of those. I wanted to go to Philmont so bad when I was a kid, that I couldn't hardly stand it. But I just never seemed to get there. Looks like great fun!

3. outstanding!

4. WOW brings back memories I took three trips to Philmont twice as a scout and once as a leader. Any shots of Mount Baldy or the tooth of time. Any more shots to share would be appreciated

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Alex,
    to bad you didn't have your dslr and more time there in Colorado Springs. So much to see and so much to do....Where did you go rafting?

6. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    My son wants to go back for the Rayado. 200 miles in 21 days so I will probably join him. My other son wants to go also so there's another chance for me. That's a total of two more trips for the old guy.

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Philmont was a blast even for adults. However, it is less of a wilderness experience than I expected. But, I am used to being dropped in the middle of nowhere Alask where there are no trails other than those I make with another friend.

8. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    I was there in 92

No - that can't be right, that was 15 years ago... WOW!!!!!!!!!!

9. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yeah. You NYC guys need to get out of the Metro area once in a while. I am a NJ guy and still too crowded around here.

10. After Philmont we did explorers and the Pecos Mtns in Texas and then did a all summer trip climbing 10 14'ers in one summer. Oh to ge young again

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a great vacation
    Hey you brought back the memories, that is what counts.
    60 lbs...ekkkk

Nice shots from the P&S

12. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gale. It was not the weight that got me. The elevation was a killer!

13. Takes a while to get use to the altitude! Nice work, Alex. Recently, some scouts were injured (not seriously) by lightning while hiking at Philmont. Glad you all did well.

14. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks. We did get caught in a hail storm on the way up to Mt Phillips and we did get caught in a lightning storm as we made it to camp and started to set up our tents. I enjoyed both but I do not think some of the scouts have been in a lightning storm before since they started reciting the Lord's prayer. They handled themselves pretty well for a first time though they needed instructions on how to set up camp and stay dry in a torrential downpour.

Philmont is a great place, but it had a theme park feel to it.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Alex :

Heh. We probably passed each other here in NM at some point.

Next time through, let some of us in the NM contingent know that you're coming through. We might have an idea (or four) for you in your travels here.

John P.

16. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'll be back so count on it

17. those where the days! i was there in 2001 as a crew leader. i just got back from Nols mountaineering this week. an almost logical next step.

18. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

Wow - I love Philmont - I have been there 6 times, 1 time as a youth and 5 times as an adult - It's where I earned my Woodbadge Beads - It's just an amazing place...Did you guys tour the Villa while you were there? The Kit Carson Museum is also fun....Your trip to the top of Pikes Peak (did you know that it's actually 14,115' not 14,110' like it's advertised?) I am sure was a thrill too...I backpacked it with a buddy last year, and will do so again next Summer - We'll be Summer Camping at Camp Alexander in Colorado with our Scouts next summer again -That's another terrific place to go...

Great images - Brings back tons of memories - I really want to go back soon...
    Thanks for the posting...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

19. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Philmont memories

Holy moly, I just stumbled on this thread. I was there in '66! Anyone before then? Anyone? :smile:

I still have my maps with our route marked in pen.

We were young, cocky studs.

10 days on the trail? 50+ miles? LOL, no prob-lemo...until Mount Baldy ground our young @$$es into the dirt!!

20. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I could not breathe above 7000 feet. I consider myself to be in respectable shape, but those peaks sure did take their toll on me. My son wants to do the 210 miles over 21 days trek next year. I guess I better take my workouts up a notch or ten