2008 USGA Womens Mid-Am

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by steveking, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Just another reason why I LOVE to shoot golf, you don't have to be a pro to play really, really well.

#1 - Two time defending Champion Meghan Bolger has a great swing, and a better game
    [​IMG]

#2 - Medalist Wendi Patterson-Golden hits the first shot of match play
    [​IMG]

#3 - Wendi watches her opponent hit a pitch shot at the pin
    [​IMG]

#4 - Wendi looks at her putt from both sides
    [​IMG]

#5 - Kim Eaton hits another shot to beat former champion Mary Ann Lapointe
    [​IMG]

#6 - Kim Harnack tries a little body english AND direction with her putt
    [​IMG]

#7 - MSU womens' coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll shows the emotion that we all feel when a putt falls just inches short, UGH!
    [​IMG]

#8 - Kim Harnack hits a shot over the pond
    [​IMG]

#9 - Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll and her caddie can't hide their thrill with her shot to within 3ft of the pin on #12 to win the hole, and on her 37th birthday too!
    [​IMG]

#10 - This sand shot can't save the match for former Mid-Am champion Mary Ann Lapointe
    [​IMG]

FORE!!!

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

awesome set steve !! ... I really enjoyed the one chance i had at shooting golf as well ... !!

3. 7 is the shot of the series. Good job.

4. great shots, steve
    it's nice to see such a variety of sports shot by you..... all so well

thanks for sharing these with us

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice set Steve
    7 and 8 are very nice great feeling to both
    Do you find mens or womens golf tougher to shoot??

6. Looks like a chushy assignment but I'm sure you're running your butt off, like that No. 4 shot best.

7. Thanks Brooks, not so cushy since I walked my butt off, but like I'll say to Mark below, the pressure and ease of access is MUCH nicer at an Amateur event than a Pro event.

Mark, it really depends upon the venue and the event. The men at the PGA were all pros, so no real contact with them at all, and the ropes made it slightly challenging getting between holes to shoot different groups. Getting a great shot of their swing wasn't too much of an issue since most are known, seen on TV, so visualizing the shot was pretty simple for me. The USGA Womens Mid-Am was great to shoot because there were no ropes, no big crowds, easy to get around since I didn't have to worry about staying off the fairways, but it was match play too, very different from medal play where everyone plays every hole.

On Monday I figure I walked, and walked fast, at least 4 miles since I walked up 1 through 7 with three groups, then cut across and did the same with four other groups. During the PGA I walked less since I stationed myself at a point where I could easily cover 4-5 holes and get many different player shots. I did have to run at one point when the rain was coming, so I didn't get soaked!

So I would say Pro vs Am goes like this, Pro is harder to get in and get access, lots more money so more rules and pressures. Am is easier on access, less issues with getting close to the players for tight shots, but still a high level of play.

If you want to shoot Golf then go to the USGA site and find an event nearest you and check it out, or even look for NCAA matches and do the same. You don't need to shoot the PGA or WPGA Tour to get great shots of great players.

Thanks Greg, and I remembered my hat and SPF15 this time too! :smile: