200mm F/4 Micro - time for new version from Nikon?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Vienna Pics, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I am starting to look at the 200mm F4 micro lens. As it has not been announced, I understand every response will be personal speculation - but, is it really time for Nikon to be coming out with a new version? I am sure folks would like a new version to come out but has the current version really run it's course and it's time for an upgrade?

With the PCs being upgraded in the last two Nikon lens announcements, and the 105 has gone VR, is it time for the 200 micro?

2. It may be reasonable, as you said because of Nikon's recent lens updates. They (Nikon) seem to be focusing on their specialty lenses as of now, like the updates of the 60, and 105 micros, and their PC lenses. I would love to see one, as well as some new telephoto primes.

3. i'd love to see a new one
    but, i'm sure it's so far down Nikon's "priority-to-replace list" that it could be YEARS before we'll see one.... if ever

plus... most folks still consider it the best "telephoto macro lens" currently in production by any manufacturer

4. Based on their recent record, a new 200/f4 AFS VR Micro-Nikkor could well be in the wings. But even though I can easily see the benefits of such an upgrade, it'll be a LONG time before I get around to upgrading mine.

5. So you're already bored with the new 400, 500, and 600VR telephotos? :biggrin:

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    "most folks still consider it the best "telephoto macro lens" currently in production by any manufacturer"

I guess I am in that group. Optically this lens is superb, and mechanically it is excellent with a few caveats. A bayonet hood would be nice. Better weather sealing would be nice. And a better quality AF/MF ring (or switch) would be nice too. The current one is somewhat cheap, and tends to break.

As for 'improvements, I can't really see the point of AFS as AF is useless for macro, and there are more suitable lenses for non-macro work. And if you remove the aperture ring, you can no longer set the actual aperture, which would be bad IMO. But they've done it with the 60mm and 105mm lenses. Let's hope they allow setting the actual aperture on camera and not the effective one.

7. Haha, I should have specified that I wanted some new smaller aperture primes (400mm 3.5 or 5.6 namely.)

8. Speaking as someone who uses this lens exclusively for macro, there is nothing about it that I would change...period (maybe the MF/AF ring...but I don't think I've touched that in years). Personally I prefer the screw-on hood to a bayonet because you can rotate a C-PL very easily with a screw-in...and that is very important, especially in macro where the slightest movement changes framing.

9. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks everyone - so it looks like I will quietly look for a good used copy and wait for PhotoKina in September to see what Nikon has to offer - and see what occurs first. Since I am looking I presume this upgrade will not be announced this fall. I have not heard that it has been discontinued compared to other lens that have and it is on the nikonusa web site.

10. Mark, I would like to see an AFS VR 200/4 Micro. That could be a very very versatile lens! Yes the current one is great, but I would not be surprised to see it replaced. They recently replaced the 60 and 105, so it would make sense. It would completely update the micro line. That said they probably sell a boatload of 60 and 105's and only a few 200s. But with FX on the horizon, more macro shooters might be looking to a telemacro lens? Just a thought...

And, out of stock at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. Not so odd on the latter, but the former??? Hmm!!!!! Not likely a high lens on the Olympic shooters' lists...

11. When I bought my 200/f4, I discovered that my sample had been in stock for close to two years. This is at a pretty high-volume brick & mortar store that sells 8-10 D3's per week these days. I think the 200/f4 is a pretty low-volume item, although having used it I can't imagine why almost anyone who does serious macro work doesn't shoot one.

12. david7703

david7703

Mar 27, 2008
    melrose ma
    if your a macro shooter who uses nikon extension tubes, you might want to pick up the current version..all the new macro's are "G"v ersions,and if the trend continues the 200(when its' updated) probably will be also... so no aperture ring for manual exposure which the Nikon tubes require..

13. This is one I'm looking at closely myself. The wait till September isn't too bad, but if nothing announced, time to just take the plunge and not look back....

14. It's effectively one of the oldest lenses (1993 or so) still working, my opinion is that we'll see something new within next PMA.

15. If I wanted a dedicated macro lens in a longer length, the Nikkor 200/4 would be my choice, mostly because of the standoff I'd get. If it were as capable as the Sigma 150/2.8 for use as a general purpose telephoto it's be a no brainer. A good clean copy in excellent condition would be a great additoin to any kit. I'm watching for a bargin to present itself evn though I am committed to my 150/2.8.

16. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Rich, You noticed what I noticed, but I did not notice they were out of stock at the three big stores - also I can not find it on Ritz Camera's site either.

Dino, I did not realize it was that old - time for an upgrade!

17. yes, Mark
    according to Pbase my memory is still good..

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/200_4d_micro

"Marketed 1993"

However, it would be good also what Thom suggested time ago, a 70-180 MICRO F/4 AFS-VRII N ED 1:1, since this is also another lens to be replaced

18. there is one sitting in the case of the ritz camera at countryside mall, in clearwater.

it's been in that case almost 3 years
    yeah....
    out of the box
    i've complained to the manager about that a million times
    i'm sure the INSIDE of that lens has GOT to have some dust in it

no matter how long it's been there..... they won't budge on the price.
    corporate world, and all

if i ever did want to buy a new one.... it wouldn't be one that had been out of the box for almost 3 years.... i guess

19. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Even if that was only 1:2 (more likely) it would be a nice lens to have IF they could maintain decent optical quality.

Or even a 400mm F5.6 AFS VR with decent 1:2 capability. Hell, the old Sigma gets decent 1:3!

Ahh, but this dreaming is not healthy ...

20. I'd hop on that 400 (or f4) in a second...even w/o VR!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.