2010 in Review, a slow year......

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I do this every December and go back and look back on the image taken, and number of keepers, etc. and post some of the highlights of the year.

Much to my dismay, it really has been a slow birding year for me this year. Many things got in the way, including our new farm, the weather, my personal effort, retirement from public school education, job hunting. The list could get endless.

I did take over 18,000 shots this year (a low number for me in a year, I usually run about double that) but even my event work was down without any dance recitals and fewer other gigs.

In looking back on the bird pics, my new years resolution is to get outdoors more, and take more pics.

My highlights of 2010 won't compare to many others here on the cafe, and when Jason (our best small bird shooter in the midwest in my humble opinion) gets around to his best of 2010, mine will pale in comparison on the birding front. (however, I will state I have the best graduation pics and prom pics of any father around! Ha! :biggrin:)

I guess that is one reason why I sold the D300 and one D3 to upgrade to a D3s, I wasn't using the D300 much, and still was shooting a lot of indoor events, and could use the abilities of the D3s. I need to shoot more subjects that will cause my to lust after another crop body, (birds!) if and when Nikon ever introduces a new one with at least 8 fps in a pro body. (that is another story for another day.......)

Anyway,

On to my pics.

Only one eagle pic taken at the new year, my in-flight sushi shot sequence, from a long long long long way away, couldn't have done this with the D3, this was a near 80% or more crop on the D300 and 500 with 1.4 TC.

p1064332282-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p592441725-5.jpg

After that, I have not kept one eagle shot for the files, sure I took a few from hundreds of yards away, but they all went in the trash can.

The pels cooperated this past summer/spring and during the flood season where in a nice location for shooting:

p369610444-5.jpg

This pel shot may be one of my favorites of the year:

p480432411-5.jpg

and some pel landing shots:

p303006339-5.jpg

and from a technical standpoint this pel shot is the best of the ones I have:

p352869184-5.jpg

I had my usual number of trumpeter shots early last year and this year too

p525439608-5.jpg

p225197360-5.jpg

p483480514-5.jpg

about the only thing I took a ton of keepers on were the trumpeter swans, and guess what, I was out shooting to get those shots........

In closing,

Sure I have some other bird type shots, distant shots, not portfolio worthy, but looking back in hindsight, it really was a down year. But, just as in baseball and everything else, there is always hope for the next year!

All my best and happy new year!

Wade

Wade these are great. You know I felt the same way with my images this year. It was really a down year for me as well but still fun. Lets hope our 2011 will be a much more productive year photography wise. I so love looking at others images so it is ok for me as long as others are getting some stellar images which there are many here on this forum. Cheers to you.

Super shots buddy! But lets not forget we have 6 days left to get that picture of the year:wink:if not 1-1-11 will work for me:biggrin:Happy New year to you my friend.

I remember some of these images...and glad you shared them with everyone! These are super images, which I would be proud to have in my portfolio for sure. As our wonderful friend Tim O has stated, the year is not yet over and we all know it takes but a fraction of a second to "create" our best work ever.

Congrats to you my friend...my journey in photography got jump started with help from you...and Tim O. As I have always said, I am a eternal student, and one who is thankful to have crossed paths with you, and became friends. Thanks for the very kind words.

p.s. :biggrin::wink: How did you know I am working on my 2010 thread!:smile:

A stellar set Wade and I do remember a few of these being posted during the year. 2010 was a slow one for us given that our SEO's didn't show up this year. So I'm hoping for some great action during the next few months and hopefully 2011 will be a terrific year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and thanks for sharing these images with us.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I share your sentiment Wade 2010 was a slow year for me too, not sure why but I guess it happens, I will try harder next year if the weather permits...

Great Eagle shots though you have go to be happy with them!

Happy New Year!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Incredible images. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you

Wade these are great. You know I felt the same way with my images this year. It was really a down year for me as well but still fun. Lets hope our 2011 will be a much more productive year photography wise. I so love looking at others images so it is ok for me as long as others are getting some stellar images which there are many here on this forum. Cheers to you.

And happy holidays to you James, down or up, we still have fun right? !! :biggrin:

Super shots buddy! But lets not forget we have 6 days left to get that picture of the year:wink:if not 1-1-11 will work for me:biggrin:Happy New year to you my friend.

True True

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I share your sentiment Wade 2010 was a slow year for me too, not sure why but I guess it happens, I will try harder next year if the weather permits...

Great Eagle shots though you have go to be happy with them!

Happy New Year!

Thanks Andreas, appreciate your thoughts and words,

beautiful images, trade ya!!

I for sure would take you up on some of your images!

I remember some of these images...and glad you shared them with everyone! These are super images, which I would be proud to have in my portfolio for sure. As our wonderful friend Tim O has stated, the year is not yet over and we all know it takes but a fraction of a second to "create" our best work ever.

Congrats to you my friend...my journey in photography got jump started with help from you...and Tim O. As I have always said, I am a eternal student, and one who is thankful to have crossed paths with you, and became friends. Thanks for the very kind words.

p.s. :biggrin::wink: How did you know I am working on my 2010 thread!:smile:

In regards to my best in the midwest, mean every word of it. Every word.

I know you very very well my friend, and I know you are having a hard time deciding on just 10 or so images!!! HA! Careful, to not post to many, I may have to moderate you some, maybe even steal some of the images!!!

A stellar set Wade and I do remember a few of these being posted during the year. 2010 was a slow one for us given that our SEO's didn't show up this year. So I'm hoping for some great action during the next few months and hopefully 2011 will be a terrific year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and thanks for sharing these images with us.

Thanks Louis, here is to meeting up some day

Always look forward to seeing your post Wade! Let's not forget the hunt, always enjoyable for what else we see.

Latest threads

Top Bottom