2011 Macbook Pros can take up to 16GB of RAM?

I'd buy something else for that $1600.- Crap load of money for only a small percentage of improvement...

Just get the 2.3gHz for the $250.00 more and a SSD... Invest the some in a pair External HDDs (Firewire 800 for a MBP is the best) and A decent screen... Spend the rest on a holiday or some new photo stuff.

This will get you much more bang for buck at the moment, 16gb will be a fair deal as soon as the memory gets around the 300-400 mark. Please be honest for a moment, how much "Page-outs" do you get in an average day, around 10K or something... a good SSD will take up that amount for 1/8 the price of the ram!

last fall 8GB kit for the 2010 macbook pros were 200 bucks... now they are less then 100... the 16gb kit will come way way down and by 2014 will be the standard.

I just ordered a 256 GB ssd for my early 2010 17i inch macbook pro. I am going to purchase the optibay for mounting my current hard drive where the super drive goes, as part of the kit thye give you an external enclosure and a usb 2.0 interface for the super drive. Will clone current system to the ssd and then have all my music pictures and video on the second hard drive.

I just ordered a 256 GB ssd for my early 2010 17i inch macbook pro. I am going to purchase the optibay for mounting my current hard drive where the super drive goes, as part of the kit thye give you an external enclosure and a usb 2.0 interface for the super drive. Will clone current system to the ssd and then have all my music pictures and video on the second hard drive.

Will give you a nice performance boost!! SSD is the best option if you have enough ram :)!

Sad part is a Dell countersystem can be shipped with 32gb of ram...

I have 16 GB of ram in my PC. When I had only 8 GB It wasn't enough sometimes for my D3x files when a couple were open with a couple layers. 16 GB is plenty, 12 would have probably been enough. Only things that need 32 GB should be servers. 16 GB in the MBP should be plenty for anything you need, or were you planning on using it as a server :wink:

(I realize it is the Apple forum, but I am running Sandy Bridge as are the new Mac's and this was hardware related)

That might be the problem there, a "couple" open, what's a couple? two or 4-5-6-7 files?

16gb for a laptop is almost ridiculous! Well it is considering the current price for it. If you need these amounts of ram get a decent iMac with 16gb (4*4 or something like that) and a 4gb Macbook Pro 13 for the same price as this.

You can preview and do the basics on the go while working on a workhorse iMac. And I would wait for the SB iMacs in May or June if possible... more bang for buck, yet again :).

That might be the problem there, a "couple" open, what's a couple? two or 4-5-6-7 files?

16gb for a laptop is almost ridiculous! Well it is considering the current price for it. If you need these amounts of ram get a decent iMac with 16gb (4*4 or something like that) and a 4gb Macbook Pro 13 for the same price as this.

You can preview and do the basics on the go while working on a workhorse iMac. And I would wait for the SB iMacs in May or June if possible... more bang for buck, yet again :).

Only 2 working in 16 bit and normal size history.

This the way to go - I got 2 Vertex II 120GB SSD's in my 13" mid 2010 MBP (I went SSD crazy these last 2 weeks.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom