2013 macbook air wifi issues

So yes, I read about these issues before I purchased, and thought I wouldn't be affected. Well guess what, I was. It's a pretty big issue if you google it. You have 14 days to return your applewares, so I made a geniusbar appointment today and had a long chat. I showed them all the info I had captured looking at my network. In fact, I even bought the newest airport extreme to see if that could fix my issues (I was running an old linksys G router). I still kept dropping signal on wifi. Frustrated, I went to apple. They talked to the higher up techs and they requested my laptop for evaluation. This is a pretty big problem. They are sending a new replacement to the store and when it's in, they will call me and I'll give them mine and take the new one. The new one I don't think will solve the issue (no new ones solved anyone's issues on the web). However, it shows they are working hard towards solving the issue.

What upsets me and really ****** me off about Apple. They won't acknowledge an issue. They just release a patch or something stating a fix. This is complete crap on their part. This is where I part ways with all the Apple fanboi maniacs. I will make no excuses for them. I won't defend them. They need to come out and say "yes there is an issue we are aware of, and we are actively working on a fix." Instead everything is rumormill and through people participating in the "fix" via patches. I was going to return this for a full refund and buy after a confirmed fix. Now they will replace and I'll see what happens. I'm sure if I complain enough I can get a full refund.

Once they get this wifi issue fixed, this is indeed the laptop to beat. If they don't get it fixed, i'll get a refund and buy that 200 f/2 I've been craving and get a new laptop next year with the next best processor that I have inside info on :wink:

On a side note, I have been monitoring my wifi on both my air and iMac (put imac on wifi to compare) and the air is very unstable compared to the imac. The funny thing is that the air is about 1 foot closer than the imac to the router, and the air is less than 2 feet away from the router.

Don't be an early adopter of new technology, let the bugs get worked out first. Everything else about the laptop would be rated a 10/10 if wifi was non -existent.

I could be called a fanboi, but I am also reasonable.

Do you think that they should stop selling the airs? Make a public statement? It seems to me that they are working the issue and specifically trying to help you out. I agree that they could acknowledge the problem, but what would that do? Also, is it all Airs?

Don't you think they have to fix it eventually...

just curious...

no, they can't stop selling stuff. I think it's a firmware issue. I just wish they would say it already, it's been since day 1 and there are many thousands of people affected. It's just so annoying to deal with.

Not yet Mark. Still waiting on the Apple store to call me. I've been using it with the airport extreme and even when it drops signal, it reconnects instantly and I don't notice it. Still not a solution since not every wifi spot I travel to has an airport extreme. I may call the store today, I'm sure they can track the shipping details. One thing I won't do is accept it if it's a refurb (with so many returns I wonder if they are sending refurbs out yet for replacements). If it is a refurb, I'm just going to ask for the refund.

So I called the apple store and it appears my order got screwed up. They did have a fully maxed out air in stock and just gave that to me in place of mine. So I got the 512GB SSD upgrade for free from my 256GB SSD. I haven't unboxed it yet, I'm busy today with work so hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

I don't expect it will. But the engineers wanted my laptop so I got a new one, and even better to boot :biggrin: People have installed bootcamp and run windows with no wifi drops, which points to OSX. They'll get it fixed, I just hope sooner than later because most people who travel experience the disconnects. We can monkey with it in our house to work, but it's not great for travel at this point.

That's interesting, since I intend to install Windows on that configuration as well. I think I'm going with 13", and opt for portability.

Since I'm moving from a 2007 laptop, I think I will see a bit of an increase in performance on a few items.

The one using the blur filter?

Quite impressed. I'm still using my 2007 iMacforvphoto processing, so a new iMC may be in the plan next year.

The MacBook will be used strictly for work, with a Windows 7 VM. I'll only process property pictures in all likelihood, bit on vacation I see it's more than capable of handling what I throw at it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom