2013 Spring Fire, Point Mugu, CA

As many heard on the news over the past week, the Santa Monica Mountians near where I live caught fire early Thursday moring. Santa Ana winds quickly spread the fire covering about 28,000 acres when it was finally contained earlier this past week. The fire started in near Camarillo, CA, about 10 miles away from my home and burned to the PCH by Friday morning. I was lucky enough to wake up last Friday morning to a wonderful sight of the hills behind my home a blaze in spectacular hues of red, orange and yellow. By 11:00 AM, our housing area on base was under a manditory evacuation order. Saturday my wife and I returned home with the air still smelling of smoke and the view of charred hillsides in the distance. Here are a few images captured of the event. It was pretty amazing to say the least.

God Bless,
David

Friday morning, about 5:30 AM before leaving for work
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Part of the burned property on NAS Point Mugu

Chumash hiking trail leading up the mountain

Impressive images of a sad reality. Here, we have lots of forest fires every year, from June to October... therefore I perfectly understand the anguish and deep concern of people living close, often threatened by the fires. What really disturbs me is that there is a high percentage of these fires, intentionally caused by some criminals and / or fools!
Anyway, great documentary on "your" fire! Thanks for sharing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Impressive images of a sad reality. Here, we have lots of forest fires every year, from June to October... therefore I perfectly understand the anguish and deep concern of people living close, often threatened by the fires. What really disturbs me is that there is a high percentage of these fires, intentionally caused by some criminals and / or fools!
Anyway, great documentary on "your" fire! Thanks for sharing.
Hi Rui, it was an interesting reality for us here. Normally, fire season starts a little later in the year, around middle to end of June. Many were surprised by this one and the speed at which it advanced (about 100 meters per minute). Thankfully though, it is believed this one was an accidental start. I forgot to add though, the first photo was from my backyard. The flames are about a mile or less away.

Incredible...! :eek:

Glad to hear you're OK...! :wink:
Incredible is right. I was in awe of the sight in Friday morning and the aftermath.

Sitting here in wet and green Holland, this is an unbelievable scene for me. Incredible!
Green, I miss that. My area has been in a drought for a little bit.

Thanks for looking.

God Bless,
David

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad you're OK David. I know fires are part of the master plan, but I'll never get used to them. Nice shots too.
We are too. It's interesting that I've seen brush fires from a distance when I lived in Fallon, NV but this was the first one that came this close to my home. It wasn't a fun feeling knowing the fires were just over the rise in the distance. Thanks for looking.

God Bless,
David

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom