2015 Imac problems

A few years ago I had to install Parallels with Windows 10 on my 27" imac for work. Last fall I was able to remove it. Ever since I installed it, my computer didn't run as well. Since the uninstall it is even worse, boot up times are long, computer freezes at times, and Lightroom is super slow to load and runs slowly. Before I decide to buy a new computer I would love to see if I can give this one more life. I have a time machine backup, but I wouldn't want to restore from that. I'm thinking of cloning (using Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external drive, then wiping the computer clean and reinstalling everything. I have a large lightroom library that I would need to take special care to preserve. The main use of this computer now is for my photo processing. I use a laptop for work. Is this a good or bad idea to redo the imac? I know it would take a lot of thinking to make sure I don't lose anything important. I had a 2010 imac that I replaced with this one. After I got everything I needed off the 2010 one I reformatted it and reinstalled OSX and Greg has been using it for five more years with no problems. I keep thinking, that even though this one is five years old, that it still has a few more years of life left.

I'd do exactly what you mentioned...create a bootable backup of the drive and reinstall the OS. Reinstall the same OS though, no upgrades until you get it back up and running.

Put the folders and such back where they were before and reinstall your applications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd do exactly what you mentioned...create a bootable backup of the drive and reinstall the OS. Reinstall the same OS though, no upgrades until you get it back up and running.

Put the folders and such back where they were before and reinstall your applications.
I appreciate your input. If I clone the drive will it be a bootable backup?

If I clone the drive will it be a bootable backup?
I have no experience with CCC. I prefer to use SuperDuper!, which does have an option to make the cloned drive bootable. I would imagine CCC would offer that same option.

I have SuperDuper! set up to create a clone every night. It does a "smart" backup, in which it analyzes both source and target disks and only copies what is different, so it takes very little time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no experience with CCC. I prefer to use SuperDuper!, which does have an option to make the cloned drive bootable. I would imagine CCC would offer that same option.

I have SuperDuper! set up to create a clone every night. It does a "smart" backup, in which it analyzes both source and target disks and only copies what is different, so it takes very little time.
I’ll study up on it, Jim. I’m in no hurry. So I’m going to take my time and hopefully not make any mistakes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom