2015 iMac problems

My 2015 iMac is giving me a lot of problems....runs very slowly and freezes. I am thinking of backing up all my files, then reformatting and reinstalling the operating system. A year ago, I took parallels and windows off of my iMac and it has never been the same since. For a while I had to use it for work and needed Windows. Do any of you think that would be worth all the headache to reformat and start over? If I have to replace it, I am thinking of getting a good monitor and a Mac Mini. Do you think a new Mac Mini would be sufficient for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Final Cut Pro? We have a month at home now, between vacations, and this would be a good time for me to come up with a solution.

I would rather try pulling the files then reformatting and reinstalling first before dropping coin, but those mac mini's will absolutely run PS/LR and the like without much issue.

Mac Mini Intel or M1? Of course the hitch with the M1 right now is that it still only allows for 16 GB RAM.....rumors are that there will be more powerful M-series Apple Silicon Macs released this fall, which may or may not include the Mini along with the MBP.

I do think that rather than fiddling around with trying to backup, reinstall everything and tinker more with your 2015 machine that it is time to give it a nice, well-deserved retirement and move on to something else. No matter what you decide, though, definitely run a thorough backup or cloning on it anyway at its current point to be sure all of your files are safely protected and available.

The thing is, if you go with a new Intel-based machine at this time, how much longer will one of those be supported by Apple and be truly useful to you a few years down the road? We're all at a really awkward time right now when it comes to updating machines while Apple continues to go through its transition from the Intel platform to its own Apple Silicon platform. The M1 machines are showing us what is possible further down the line and at this point the pretty basic M1 machines already run circles around equivalent Intel-based machines and a little beyond. I was really surprised at how smoothly my M1 MBP with 16 GB RAM moves right along when compared to a machine with much more RAM when it comes to handling my photo files with speed and ease, not even breaking a sweat, and she was not all that much slower than my older MBP with 32 GB RAM! Then again, I wasn't really stressing her, just running a few quick tests.

I think Adobe has already provided native apps for the M- series Macs, and that's a big plus for PS and LR users. Not sure about Final Cut Pro. The thing is, at least my experience with Rosetta so far in using it with the apps I have which are not yet native to the Apple Silicon system, is that it is surprisingly fast and pretty much unnoticeable so that it is easy to forget that I might be using Rosetta to "translate" what is needed in a particular app, as it seems to work so well. This is MUCH less cumbersome than what we went through during the transition from PPC to Intel!

Last edited:
Terri, I have a 2015, it’s definitely running slower. I’d like to have access to Apple’s source code to see if they’ve done anything to slow down older machines. But to answer your question, I’ve chatted with a couple of people that have the mini and they’ve said it runs the PS stuff very nicely. There is reportedly a new mini coming in the fall with more ports and the next gen M1 chip. Here is a link to an article discussing what it might have
https://www.macworld.com/article/34...cessor-m1x-gpu-ram-storage-price-release.html

If you get the new mini definitely get the M1 chip. I did not think Apple was still selling the Intel model but they still have it on their site want want $200 more than the M1 model. :(

Apple has the M1 & Intel processor mini systems in the refurbished store. You can add after market memory to the Intel minis, but I think that’s the only advantage they offer over the M1 versions. It’s not enough of an advantage to get me to buy one, I’d go with an M1 processor.
If you get one these, could you post your impressions?

Last edited:
Mac Mini Intel or M1? Of course the hitch with the M1 right now is that it still only allows for 16 GB RAM.....rumors are that there will be more powerful M-series Apple Silicon Macs released this fall, which may or may not include the Mini along with the MBP.

I do think that rather than fiddling around with trying to backup, reinstall everything and tinker more with your 2015 machine that it is time to give it a nice, well-deserved retirement and move on to something else. No matter what you decide, though, definitely run a thorough backup or cloning on it anyway at its current point to be sure all of your files are safely protected and available.

The thing is, if you go with a new Intel-based machine at this time, how much longer will one of those be supported by Apple and be truly useful to you a few years down the road? We're all at a really awkward time right now when it comes to updating machines while Apple continues to go through its transition from the Intel platform to its own Apple Silicon platform. The M1 machines are showing us what is possible further down the line and at this point the pretty basic M1 machines already run circles around equivalent Intel-based machines and a little beyond. I was really surprised at how smoothly my M1 MBP with 16 GB RAM moves right along when compared to a machine with much more RAM when it comes to handling my photo files with speed and ease, not even breaking a sweat, and she was not all that much slower than my older MBP with 32 GB RAM! Then again, I wasn't really stressing her, just running a few quick tests.

I think Adobe has already provided native apps for the M- series Macs, and that's a big plus for PS and LR users. Not sure about Final Cut Pro. The thing is, at least my experience with Rosetta so far in using it with the apps I have which are not yet native to the Apple Silicon system, is that it is surprisingly fast and pretty much unnoticeable so that it is easy to forget that I might be using Rosetta to "translate" what is needed in a particular app, as it seems to work so well. This is MUCH less cumbersome than what we went through during the transition from PPC to Intel!
Thanks, Connie. I definitely will get Apple silicon when I get a new computer. I am hoping I can hang on till the next version, but, if not, the current models should be adequate.

Terri, I have a 2015, it’s definitely running slower. I’d like to have access to Apple’s source code to see if they’ve done anything to slow down older machines. But to answer your question, I’ve chatted with a couple of people that have the mini and they’ve said it runs the PS stuff very nicely. There is reportedly a new mini coming in the fall with more ports and the next gen M1 chip. Here is a link to an article discussing what it might have
https://www.macworld.com/article/34...cessor-m1x-gpu-ram-storage-price-release.html

Apple has the M1 & Intel processor mini systems in the refurbished store. You can add after market memory to the Intel minis, but I think that’s the only advantage they offer over the M1 versions. It’s not enough of an advantage to get me to buy one, I’d go with an M1 processor.
If you get one these, could you post your impressions?
Thank you for the heads up on the refurbished M1 mac minis. If I get one I will definitely post my impressions.

Real Name
Ken St John
Another vote for the M1 mini. Also loving a new BenQ 27" monitor ... to my eyes as good as a Retina display, but half the cost (still around $500, but that's a lot cheaper than the LG 5k and so on!!). Runs all the apps incredibly fast. I have 16GB on my M1 Air and I'd be hard pressed to see how the new models would be any quicker (although I'm sure the differences would show up on benchmark tests). I'm talking about seeing a difference when you click to start something .... it's virtually instantaneous!!

That being said, backing up non iCloud data files and a fresh install of macOS could well breath some new life in that iMac. I just did that for a friend's old MB Pro and was able to eventually get it up to Catalina level. Everything was stable and pretty snappy (for an old laptop!!).

Ken

Ken, thanks for mentioning the monitor, I’m having a lot of trouble picking one. I looked up BenQ, they make at least two 27 inch models. Is yours the PD2700U? thanks…rick

Teri - I think right now a Mini will do you a lot of good vs. the older iMac. I thought about holding off until the next chipset but these are fairly inexpensive compared to cameras and lenses! I ordered a Mac mini M1 Friday with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. Expected delivery this Friday, 6/25. Will report my impressions next week.

I have M1MBP serving as "desktop" solution and a MB Air. Trading in the air which makes the mini even a better deal. Likely to go the Benq monitor in addition to my Dell 25 2.5 k.

Another vote for the M1 mini. Also loving a new BenQ 27" monitor ... to my eyes as good as a Retina display, but half the cost (still around $500, but that's a lot cheaper than the LG 5k and so on!!). Runs all the apps incredibly fast. I have 16GB on my M1 Air and I'd be hard pressed to see how the new models would be any quicker (although I'm sure the differences would show up on benchmark tests). I'm talking about seeing a difference when you click to start something .... it's virtually instantaneous!!

That being said, backing up non iCloud data files and a fresh install of macOS could well breath some new life in that iMac. I just did that for a friend's old MB Pro and was able to eventually get it up to Catalina level. Everything was stable and pretty snappy (for an old laptop!!).

Ken
Thanks for the all the info. I am going to try the backup and fresh install and see what that does. But I am very tempted with the M1 Mac Mini. I also appreciate the monitor info.

Teri - I think right now a Mini will do you a lot of good vs. the older iMac. I thought about holding off until the next chipset but these are fairly inexpensive compared to cameras and lenses! I ordered a Mac mini M1 Friday with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. Expected delivery this Friday, 6/25. Will report my impressions next week.

I have M1MBP serving as "desktop" solution and a MB Air. Trading in the air which makes the mini even a better deal. Likely to go the Benq monitor in addition to my Dell 25 2.5 k.
I can't wait to hear what you think about your new Mini!! Thanks!!

I just had a thought.... Why not purchase an M1 MBA or MBP now and use it as a "desktop replacement" and then when the new M- series MBPs and Mac Minis with the presumably better specs eventually come rolling out in the fall or whenever, you could get the Mini and configure it in whichever way actually works best for you as a desktop and then have the M1 MBA or MBP already available as your mobile machine!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom