2015 iMac problems

I just had a thought.... Why not purchase an M1 MBA or MBP now and use it as a "desktop replacement" and then when the new M- series MBPs and Mac Minis with the presumably better specs eventually come rolling out in the fall or whenever, you could get the Mini and configure it in whichever way actually works best for you as a desktop and then have the M1 MBA or MBP already available as your mobile machine!
Something to think about....Thanks for your help.

I've got my Time Machine Backup up to date and cloned a copy of my hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner onto a different external drive. The disk is erased and a new copy of macOS Big Sur is being installed right now. Hopefully after I reinstall my software and bring over my files things will work better. If not, a new computer is in my future.

Fingers crossed, Terri! Actually, even if all does go well, it probably isn't a bad idea to be thinking of a new machine anyway, since things have changed a lot in the past six years when it comes to hardware and software......this includes ports and peripheral connections to those ports.

Fingers crossed, Terri! Actually, even if all does go well, it probably isn't a bad idea to be thinking of a new machine anyway, since things have changed a lot in the past six years when it comes to hardware and software......this includes ports and peripheral connections to those ports.
I agree. It is inevitable. I’ve been thinking for a while.

You're brave to be doing this, Terri. I hope it works to your satisfaction.
I hope so, too!! I did my Windows Laptop a couple of weeks ago to get all the work files and accounts off of it and it turned out beautifully. I guess it got my courage up to give this a try. Big Sur is running. I'm typing this in Chrome on my iMac. Downloading my adobe apps now.

Let us know if that restore works. I might try it with my 2015 IMac if you find it helps.

Let us know if that restore works. I might try it with my 2015 IMac if you find it helps.
I'm transferring over my photos right now. Hopefully I can bring over my Lightroom Library successfully. That was the app that was giving me the most trouble. It can launch fairly quickly now, but there are no photos or library to load into it. I'll keep you updated.

I'm transferring over my photos right now. Hopefully I can bring over my Lightroom Library successfully. That was the app that was giving me the most trouble. It can launch fairly quickly now, but there are no photos or library to load into it. I'll keep you updated.
Do you use xmp or database?

Several things I've seen on various forums and such suggest that Chrome is a real resource hog; maybe get rid of it and use just Safari or some other browser?
Not really an issue these days

Real Name
Walter Rowe
So far so good!! Photos transferred, Lightroom Catalog transferred. Everything working so much better. I still have a lot of setting up to do so I am not doing a happy dance yet!
This process probably cleared a lot of cruft that builds up on our systems over time. Sadly software packages are notorious for leaving garbage behind across upgrades and uninstalls. Adobe is particularly bad. When you remove ALL Adobe software from your system you would be amazed at how much it leaves behind.

I hope this process makes your system more responsive.

Get yourself a program called AppCleaner. Anytime you want to get rid of a program that doesn't come with it's own uninstaller, use it instead of just dragging to the trash. It'll get rid of the other files that sit out there. Most of the time they're not doing any harm but larger system wide type programs like Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc., tend to come with more bloat than necessary.

I have always just updated my MacOS over the old one. Also, for my last 4 Macs I just migrated everything to the new machine. I have never done a clean install, not to save time but to just keep things simple.
So Terri, what Folders are not not copying to your new install?

I didn't read all the threads, but I went from a 2014 15" MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air M1. The M1 absolutely smokes the old MacBook Pro. Runs silent and cool and the battery lasts forever. If you are thinking about moving to an M1 mini, I don't think there are any downsides. I would up the RAM, though. The M1 is fast, but with only 8GB RAM, it will write swap files to your flash hard drive which will age the storage more quickly than otherwise. It doesn't impact performance at all (from what I can tell) but could lengthen the overall life of your computer, if you want another 6+ years out of your next Mac.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom