2016 Week 50 Meme - the Nifty-Fifty Shoot - Dec 11-17th

Since I don't yet see a Nifty-Fifty thread posted for 2016, I have taken the initiative. Please note that I have suggested that we THIS year (not always) stick to the classic 50mm on film formula in lens choice.
  • The Nifty Fifty meme will run over the course of Week 50 ... December 11 through December 17. Use your local time to calculate days. Each day begins at your midnight.
  • Use a 50mm lens and camera of choice, but camera bodies with different crops (FX, DX, M4/3) are permitted so long as appropriate lens choices are made (see below). No zooms are allowed. Shooting several days in advance is acceptable for film shooters to allow for processing.
  • There will be a thread dedicated to each day of week 50. Shoot daily, and post at least one, but not more than three, pictures a day.
  • Daily posts, comments and discussion will share a single thread per day.
I am going to suggest that we stick to the original intention of this forum this year, which was to see what we can do with the otherwise "boring" 50mm (on film cameras) frame length at a creative and festive time of year. This would mean only 50mm (film or FX), 35mm (DX), or 25mm (M4/3) are eligible. Exceptions can be made for 45mm-55mm lenses or equivalents, but hopefully you will not propose this unless you cannot meet the stricter choice of body/glass.

I will be shooting 50mm Series E f/1.8 AI-S on a D600 body, perhaps at times with a closeup attachment but usually without.

Please let all of us know your thoughts and willingness to participate below.

Here is the sign-up list as of our start, 12-11. Don't be afraid to jump in at the last minute:

Harry (Harry Lavo) D600, 50mm 1.8 Series E AIS
Klaus (kilofoxtrott) D700 with "elder" 50mm 1.8 AF
Gordon (Gordo) Pentax K-1, SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1.4
Jim (Pa) D750, 50mm 1.8D AF
Paul (NEF said) Either D700 50mm 1.8D AF, or Fuji X100 with 50mm equiv lens (not yet specified)
Bob (Imagemaker) D700 50mm 1.8D AF
Dave (dhalloxf) D600 + Sigma 50mm 1.4

I've added the daily threads, so we are off and running as of today, 12-11.

Last edited:
I'll try to participate this year with my venerable 50mm f/1.8 D on a D750. I think that was the second lens I bought when I got my first DSLR (a D70) in 2005.

Real Name
Paul
I'll try to participate (it's a busy week, with an all day class on the 11th). Either will do my 50mm f1.8 on D700 or Fuji X100s with its 50mm equivalent lens.

Howdy Harry
I'm in. Will be using my D700 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8D. I have never participated before, so be clear an idea will be posted every day and we need to try and follow that. Such as a car photo?

Thanks it sounds fun.
Bob

I'll try to participate this year with my venerable 50mm f/1.8 D on a D750. I think that was the second lens I bought when I got my first DSLR (a D70) in 2005.
Great, Jim. That may be a simple lens (I've got one as well) but it does a good job. I'm sure you'll use it well.

I'll try to participate (it's a busy week, with an all day class on the 11th). Either will do my 50mm f1.8 on D700 or Fuji X100s with its 50mm equivalent lens.
Okay, Paul, Welcome! Look forward to seeing your work. Don't kill yourself; if a day will be lost, just shoot more shots in advance and then post when the time arrives. If you are like me, you will often find the creative urge arrives in bunches anyway.

Last edited:
Howdy Harry
I'm in. Will be using my D700 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8D. I have never participated before, so be clear an idea will be posted every day and we need to try and follow that. Such as a car photo?

Thanks it sounds fun.
Bob
Hi, Bob. It's not quite like that. You can shoot what you want with the 50mm within the week, and put the shot(s) up for the rest of us to see and comment on. Then you try to visit others and comment on their work. The challenge is to make interesting pictures with a lens many folks don't find challenging. And to have some fun with each other as we head into the festive season.

Sometimes one of us will set a goal for ourselves for the week, such as shooting all B&W. Or shooting only our children. Or shooting the same mountain range from different perspecties, etc. That's not mandatory but some of us find it adds additional interest to announce what we intend to do and then follow up.

I'll put the threads up this on the 10th. The first one will read "Week 50 2016: Day 1" and we will all post our first day shots (the 11th) in that thread, and comment on others in that thread as well. Subsequently there will be a Day2, Day3, etc.

Pehaps a bit different than you envisioned, but still a lot of fun.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hi, Bob. It's not quite like that. You can shoot what you want with the 50mm within the week, and put the shot(s) up for the rest of us to see and comment on. Then you try to visit others and comment on their work. The challenge is to make interesting pictures with a lens many folks don't find challenging. And to have some fun with each other as we head into the festive season.

Sometimes one of us will set a goal for ourselves for the week, such as shooting all B&W. Or shooting only our children. Or shooting the same mountain range from different perspecties, etc. That's not mandatory but some of us find it adds additional interest to announce what we intend to do and then follow up.

I'll put the threads up this on the 10th. The first one will read "Week 50 2016: Day 1" and we will all post our first day shots (the 11th) in that thread, and comment on others in that thread as well. Subsequently there will be a Day2, Day3, etc.

Pehaps a bit different than you envisioned, but still a lot of fun.
Thank you Harry for hosting and supporting this meme.
I'll use my D700 with the AF 50mm f1.8.
It's my eldest lens, bought it back in 1998 with my N8008.

Regards
Klaus

Thank you Harry for hosting and supporting this meme.
I'll use my D700 with the AF 50mm f1.8.
It's my eldest lens, bought it back in 1998 with my N8008.

Regards
Klaus
Good, Klaus. I've added it to the list I just posted at the end of my initial listing.

Last edited:
sorry to sit this one out, i just cannot see it working in with my time this year
Okay, Les, we all have to make decisions like that. I skipped Octoberfest this year for the first time since 2008, for similar reason. We'll see you around elsewhere, I'm sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom