Critique 2017 52 week project-- week 52

For 2017 I will be working on seeing and capturing images specifically for the joy of photographing. I will set aside one day each month to shoot and then pick the best of these for my weekly posting. I will use the photoshop skills I developed in 2016 but will, hopefully, be able to minimize the post processing if I am careful about initial capture. I will use some of the approach I learned at the Miksang Institute a number of years ago. And maybe I will master the Wacom! C & C is how I learn.

Week 1

I spent my January day in Seattle's International District.

Nikon D40X. 200 mm. ISO 800 because it was a dreary day and I was hand holding at 100th-- shutter priority. The high ISO seems likely to be why the shot seems noisy. Used a couple of tricks to reduce the noise in post but it still seems noisy. Any other ideas, other than the ISO, would be welcome.

Waiting for the bus by urbanflyer, on Flickr

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
It's an interesting picture Judith.
Try the "Nik-Collection" filters to reduce the noise.
The collection is a mighty tool at no cost.

Regards
Klaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! I suspect it is grapes of some sort. It is a pea-patch in the International District so could be anything that grows on a vine!

I downloaded the Nik collection. Will need to learn to use it but it did help on the noise! Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thanks! I suspect it is grapes of some sort. It is a pea-patch in the International District so could be anything that grows on a vine!

I downloaded the Nik collection. Will need to use it but it did help on the noise! Thanks for the recommendation!
Well, once it was very expensive - then Google bought it and published it for free.

Have fun with it
Klaus

Yes--It is such good motivation to continue to shoot, learn, improve. I appreciate the forum to do so and will stick with it again. My last photo ended up in Flickr Explore--second time I have had a photo there. I don't aim for that but it is kind of fun when it happens!

Hey Judith,
great colors, wonderful details.
You already got blossoms in Washington?
We still have deepest winter here in southern Germany...

Regards
Klaus
Thanks, Klaus! Our normal winter is high of 40F and low of 40F. So things start to bud early. However we do get a snow dump in town every so often--3-5 years or so. But it goes away in a day or two. Lots of snow and skiing in the mountains, however!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom