2017 Week 50 Day 4 (14 Dec)

Summer is gone

_DSC8022.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm taking the opposite position from David .... he's outside shooting "the cold", I walked in it this AM but gladly will spend the rest of the day inside.

What to do for a photo? How about a self-portrait (of the lens and camera, of course). Notice that I am holding the camera in almost a Point-and-Shoot fashion. That is because this 50mm Series E lens is so tiny I cannot rest the lens on my hand without potentially moving the focus ring. On the other hand, you can see why it would make a good street lens on a camera with tilt swivel screen.

Miniscule D50 Series E on D600
original.jpg

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S Series E, 1/125s f/5.6 at 50.0mm iso6400

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
I'm taking the opposite position from David .... he's outside shooting "the cold", I walked in it this AM but gladly will spend the rest of the day inside.

What to do for a photo? How about a self-portrait (of the lens and camera, of course). Notice that I am holding the camera in almost a Point-and-Shoot fashion. That is because this 50mm Series E lens is so tiny I cannot rest the lens on my hand without potentially moving the focus ring. On the other hand, you can see why it would make a good street lens on a camera with tilt swivel screen.
You're teasing us Harry! No picture... :)

You're nailing the tones with your B&W, IMHO. I'm surprised you still have plants in the wilting stage there. Here, everything that goes down for the winter is already dried up and brown, and the rest will stay green. And we've only had a few mornings below freezing so far.

View attachment 1592392

Interesting. Would it be different on a larger body for you? I know that I have to hold smaller bodies (Fujis) in a similar fashion or I bump things on the lenses, but my K-1 is big enough it fits my hands well and even with smaller lenses like the A50/1.4 and FA43/1.9 I don't have an issue.

Real Name
Paul

View attachment 1592392
Ah there you are! Nice shot of the camera, lens, and you.

The caption made me smile, when I look outside and see snow and 19 degrees F temps here. :)

It hasn't been that cold here yet, Paul but we did have a reasonable covering of snow earlier in the week. Warmer weather and some rain/sleet have "greened" things up again.

Ya think so, David? :D

Beautifully captured detail. Well done.

Thanks Harry - definitely. I'm not so sure if winter is here yet.

View attachment 1592392

I have a copy of the 50E as well, Harry and find it to be an excellent little lens. In fact I shot Oktoberfest with it a few years back. It is also an excellent performer on a film body. Nice work on the "selfie".

You're nailing the tones with your B&W, IMHO. I'm surprised you still have plants in the wilting stage there. Here, everything that goes down for the winter is already dried up and brown, and the rest will stay green. And we've only had a few mornings below freezing so far.

Thanks Gordon. This is just one corner of our summer vegetable beds - some of the celery is left over at the end of the season and the root makes for a terrific mashed vegetable. I'm looking forward to some of that at Christmas.

Interesting. Would it be different on a larger body for you? I know that I have to hold smaller bodies (Fujis) in a similar fashion or I bump things on the lenses, but my K-1 is big enough it fits my hands well and even with smaller lenses like the A50/1.4 and FA43/1.9 I don't have an issue.
I don't know for sure, Gordon. I did try it briefly on my D300 and seemed to have the same issue, but I really don't use the manual focus on my DX bodies much if at all, so the D600 is the critical camera.

I have a copy of the 50E as well, Harry and find it to be an excellent little lens. In fact I shot Oktoberfest with it a few years back. It is also an excellent performer on a film body. Nice work on the "selfie".
Thanks, David. Despite issues, I really like the capability of this little lens. So much so that I gave my AF version to my daughter.

Real Name
Paul
Table-cloth
nifty-fifty-2063.jpg

This is a very small section of a large tablecloth that my mom made years ago, for our dining table, which seats eight, and the cloth will work for tables that seat twelve! My wife puts it out around Christmas time, places a red cloth under, and covers it with plastic to protect it from spills. I can't even fathom the hours it took my mom to make this. She said she worked on it for over a year.

Table-cloth
View attachment 1592397

This is a very small section of a large tablecloth that my mom made years ago, for our dining table, which seats eight, and the cloth will work for tables that seat twelve! My wife puts it out around Christmas time, places a red cloth under, and covers it with plastic to protect it from spills. I can't even fathom the hours it took my mom to make this. She said she worked on it for over a year.

Wonderful detail shot. It is an amazing amount of work for a tablecloth. Mom used to crochet doilies using the threads like that tablecloth - very time-consuming, intricate detail work.

Real Name
Paul
Wonderful detail shot. It is an amazing amount of work for a tablecloth. Mom used to crochet doilies using the threads like that tablecloth - very time-consuming, intricate detail work.
Thanks! Yes, this was crocheted with a fine needle. She made a smaller one for my daughter, and has done several doilies and small table cloths as well. I have no idea how she can do fine work like that, with her eyesight (it's bad like mine).

It's really dull out today and I've got no bright ideas.

Larry
DSC_0800_DxO.jpg

DSC_0801_DxO.jpg

DSC_0803_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom