1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique 2018 Octoberfest - NEF Said - D750 - 105mm f2 DC - 12 Oct

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by NEF Said, Sep 23, 2018.

1. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    I really need to learn more about the 105mm f2 DC that I bought used. I’ve been shooting with it off and on a bit, but I’d really like to push myself to use it more and try out the DC capabilities.

2. Look forward to your posts. I'm tempted to sign up with my D750 and 105/2.5 AI-s. It's a legendary lens but I seldom find uses for that focal length unless the lens is a macro.

3. Please join us. It’s great fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ITEPfoto

ITEPfoto

Jul 24, 2018
    St. Louis Missouri
    John M.
    The 105 DC is one of the unique Nikkors; designed in the pre-digital era it reminds me of the look i used to get from my Leica lenses years ago. Bokeh is phenomenal, but I never found the DC feature that useful, didn't need it, the photographs always looked unique. There is an interview with the designers online at Nikon.com
    Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.32

5. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    So we'll use both DC lenses this year - interesting...

Well, the DC feature is tricky to use and needed half a year to learn it.

Regards
    Klaus

6. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Yeah, I loved mine, until I got the DC and then I gave it to my daughter to use with the D700 hand me down she got as a XMAS present, when I got the D750.

7. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Thanks! I'll check out the link. I've got to learn how the DC works - only played with it a bit.

8. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Yikes! I guess I've got a lot of learning to do! :) 

9. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Paul,
    when you'll use the DC ring, be sure that the aperture of the ring opens more than the regulary aperture.
    If you close the DC more, the picture will get achromatic abberation - very awful...

Regards
    Klaus

10. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Thanks! I've been leaving it on R, the few times I've played with it. Need to do some experimenting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Day 1
    ofest-01-1876.
    NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/2.0    105mm    f/4.0    1/100s    ISO 1600

• Like Like x 2
  12. kilofoxtrott

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great picture Paul.
    It seems your newspaper work in the same manner as ours: Only bad news are good news...

Kind regards
    Klaus

13. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Unexpected subject - this will be fun watching you use this lens.

14. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    I do have a theme in mind, but it's not the headline. I tried to set the focus point on the date, to signify the start of the Oktoberfest. We'll see how my theme works out... not sure yet... :) 

15. Looks like an interesting start. So you're not telling us what the theme is? It will be entertaining for us to try to guess it as the month proceeds.

16. Great start. Can't wait to see your magic with this lens.

17. Somehow it doesn't seem like your normal type of subject matter, Paul... and that interests me. Nice work - I'm also looking forward to seeing what sort of magic you are able to create with this new lens.

18. Think the headline comes across, Paul?;)  Seriously nice use of narrow focus.

19. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Thanks!

Yeah, was working on the narrow focus... it is tough for sure. Having to switch to manual focus sometimes.

20. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Day 2
    ofest-02-1885.
    NIKON D750    105.0 mm f/2.0    105mm    f/2.0    1/100s    ISO 1600

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.