Critique 2018 Octoberfest - NEF Said - D750 - 105mm f2 DC - 31 Oct

Real Name
Paul
I really need to learn more about the 105mm f2 DC that I bought used. I’ve been shooting with it off and on a bit, but I’d really like to push myself to use it more and try out the DC capabilities.

Look forward to your posts. I'm tempted to sign up with my D750 and 105/2.5 AI-s. It's a legendary lens but I seldom find uses for that focal length unless the lens is a macro.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Look forward to your posts. I'm tempted to sign up with my D750 and 105/2.5 AI-s. It's a legendary lens but I seldom find uses for that focal length unless the lens is a macro.
Please join us. It’s great fun.

Real Name
John M.
I really need to learn more about the 105mm f2 DC that I bought used. I’ve been shooting with it off and on a bit, but I’d really like to push myself to use it more and try out the DC capabilities.

The 105 DC is one of the unique Nikkors; designed in the pre-digital era it reminds me of the look i used to get from my Leica lenses years ago. Bokeh is phenomenal, but I never found the DC feature that useful, didn't need it, the photographs always looked unique. There is an interview with the designers online at Nikon.com
Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.32

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
So we'll use both DC lenses this year - interesting...

Well, the DC feature is tricky to use and needed half a year to learn it.

Regards
Klaus

Real Name
Paul
Yeah, I loved mine, until I got the DC and then I gave it to my daughter to use with the D700 hand me down she got as a XMAS present, when I got the D750.

Real Name
Paul
The 105 DC is one of the unique Nikkors; designed in the pre-digital era it reminds me of the look i used to get from my Leica lenses years ago. Bokeh is phenomenal, but I never found the DC feature that useful, didn't need it, the photographs always looked unique. There is an interview with the designers online at Nikon.com
Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.32
Thanks! I'll check out the link. I've got to learn how the DC works - only played with it a bit.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Yikes! I guess I've got a lot of learning to do! :)
Paul,
when you'll use the DC ring, be sure that the aperture of the ring opens more than the regulary aperture.
If you close the DC more, the picture will get achromatic abberation - very awful...

Regards
Klaus

Real Name
Paul
Day 1
ofest-01-1876.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Great picture Paul.
It seems your newspaper work in the same manner as ours: Only bad news are good news...

Kind regards
Klaus

Real Name
Paul
I do have a theme in mind, but it's not the headline. I tried to set the focus point on the date, to signify the start of the Oktoberfest. We'll see how my theme works out... not sure yet... :)

I do have a theme in mind, but it's not the headline. I tried to set the focus point on the date, to signify the start of the Oktoberfest. We'll see how my theme works out... not sure yet... :)

Looks like an interesting start. So you're not telling us what the theme is? It will be entertaining for us to try to guess it as the month proceeds.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Great start. Can't wait to see your magic with this lens.

Somehow it doesn't seem like your normal type of subject matter, Paul... and that interests me. Nice work - I'm also looking forward to seeing what sort of magic you are able to create with this new lens.

Real Name
Paul
Somehow it doesn't seem like your normal type of subject matter, Paul... and that interests me. Nice work - I'm also looking forward to seeing what sort of magic you are able to create with this new lens.
Thanks!

Think the headline comes across, Paul?;) Seriously nice use of narrow focus.
Yeah, was working on the narrow focus... it is tough for sure. Having to switch to manual focus sometimes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom