1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured 2018 Octoberfest - Pa - D5500 40/2.8G Micro Day 13

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Pa, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Day 1
    D55_0463-XL.
    NIKON D5500    ---    40mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 560

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    A beautiful mushroom very well photographed, Jim.

Reminds me of the Octoberfest 3 years ago when I returned home covered all over with dirt... ;) :) :D .
    I've tried to take a picture of a mushroom, lost balance and made two flips backwards down the hill.
    The camera kept clean btw...

Regards
    Klaus

3. Thanks, Louis.

:ROFLMAO: 

Glad you weren't injured.

No drama with the rig I'm using. I just set the camera on the ground, used the flip-out LCD to frame the picture, and the touch controls to focus and trip the shutter.

Thanks for the comments.

4. Nice work indeed Jim. Good to see you here and even better to see that this challenge is off to a flying start.

5. Nice start Jim. it's a beautiful mushroom.

6. Thanks, David and Phil.

7. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Very nice - cool-looking 'shroom. Glad to see you could join us. :) 

8. Day 2

D55_0474-XL.
    NIKON D5500    ---    40mm    f/8.0    1/25s    ISO 100

This is the Huckleberry Trail, a biking, running, and walking trail that links Blacksburg and Christiansburg, Virginia, and extends north into the Jefferson National Forest.

It was built on an old railroad bed, which was a spur that linked the Norfolk and Western main line to Blacksburg. It largely served Virginia Tech students, who joked that the train was so slow one could step off the train, pick a handful of huckleberries, and get back on the same car.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Beautiful spot for a walk or run. Looking forward to this month - I'm guessing we'll get to see some autumn colors.

10. Thanks, Gordon. I plan to revisit this spot at the end of the month to document the changes. It should look much different.

11. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Great picture and story Jim.
    Most of our abandomned railroad trails were converted to bicycle lanes. There was to much weed-ex sprayed in former times to let it uncovered.

Kind regards
    Klaus

12. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    What a cool looking mushroom. Well captured!

Another nice shot. We have a bunch of rails-to-trails in our area. Reminds me to get out on them more.

13. Very nice start, Jim. I want to slice it up in a meatloaf. Is it poisonous?

14. Probably.

15. Day 2 - Very nice trail. This is the kind of place that I will enjoy going. Looking forward to the changing colours.

16. Good choice of aperture and focusing there, showing quite some detail of the mushroom, without giving up too much around (behind), where the macro's f/8 starts - but just starts - to ruin the background :) 
    Mushrooms that are poisonous are the minority, I think. So are the ones that you can eat. I think most of them are just inedible, unenjoyable, often indigestible, but do no further harm. Still nothing to be careless, of course. Never eat one you cannot be sure of...

Thanks for all the explanations, Jim!

17. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Oh wow - that mushroom! Magazine cover worthy, for sure! And that trail looks like a beautiful place to take a walk.

18. Remind me to stay away when Harry is making meatloaf!

The trail looks like a terrific spot Jim. Shaded and relatively comfortable in summer and then offering more light in winter once the foliage has gone. Very well done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Thanks, Lyndee and David. I would also approach that meatloaf with extreme caution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.