2018 Octoberfest - Phil K - Hasselblad X1D with 90mm f/3.2 - Day 31 Finale!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Day 9 - old building.

Most Hong Kong people live in small apartments because of the lack of land. This is an old-styled residential building that is 60 years old. I shot from a nearby multi-storey carpark, and the almost square crop looks better.

Oct9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 9 - old building.

Most Hong Kong people live in small apartments because of the lack of land. This is an old-styled residential building that is 60 years old. I shot from a nearby multi-storey carpark, and the almost square crop looks better.

View attachment 1623755
Beautiful capture and framing, Phil. The BW treatment is absolutely perfect with the architecture and framework creating many, many intermediate shades of grey.

One thing I have noticed from photos from Japan as well is that laundry is still largely dried out-of-doors. Is this a question of lack of space, is it economic in nature, or is it a philosophy integral to the culture?

Day 9 - old building.

View attachment 1623755
I imagine the building continuing up-, down- wards, to the left and to the right, forever. This is just a snipped of a never-ending building ;)

Thanks for showing us a slice of the life of ordinary folks in Hong Kong. It looks like the apartments have been individualized over the years. I agree that B&W works best for this scene, and that's a good perspective with some diagonal lines to lead the eye. No visible distortion, either... a tribute to the lens or your PP skills.

7 - nice atmosphere in the sunset capture.

8 - cool old street, colorful.

9- The B&W works great for this, interesting architectural shot.

What a great variety of subject matter, Phil. I always appreciate views from other parts of the world and you are doing a terrific job of playing tour guide this month.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful capture and framing, Phil. The BW treatment is absolutely perfect with the architecture and framework creating many, many intermediate shades of grey.

One thing I have noticed from photos from Japan as well is that laundry is still largely dried out-of-doors. Is this a question of lack of space, is it economic in nature, or is it a philosophy integral to the culture?
Thank you. The older buildings, especially those for common folks with smaller size units, do not have designated area for laundry so people just use whatever windows or balconies they have. Dryers are not popular because of lack of space, and people believe the heat will damage the clothes.

Great shot and the B&W works so well.
Thank you very much.

I imagine the building continuing up-, down- wards, to the left and to the right, forever. This is just a snipped of a never-ending building ;)
Thank you. yes, this is just part of a much bigger building.

Nice BW shot.
Thank you Sir.

Thanks for showing us a slice of the life of ordinary folks in Hong Kong. It looks like the apartments have been individualized over the years. I agree that B&W works best for this scene, and that's a good perspective with some diagonal lines to lead the eye. No visible distortion, either... a tribute to the lens or your PP skills.
Thank you. People like to modify the units to make full use of all the available spaces, so you can see that balconies are changed into part of the rooms. Strictly speaker, it is illegal.

7 - nice atmosphere in the sunset capture.

8 - cool old street, colorful.

9- The B&W works great for this, interesting architectural shot.
Thank you very much.

What a great variety of subject matter, Phil. I always appreciate views from other parts of the world and you are doing a terrific job of playing tour guide this month.
Thank you. I would try to show different parts of this city from an insider point of view.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
D10 - Z7(frustration)

One thing I learned from last year was things often did not happen according to plan so I should always have a plan B. Today's rain washed away my plan and I came home frustrated. Frustration grew when I saw the Z7 sitting on the shelf. I only played with the settings and took some test shots to see if things were okay, but didn't take any serious shooting in order not to break the rule. Tomorrow my brother will borrow it so that it will be out of my sight for the time being.

Oct10.jpg

D10 - Z7(frustration)

One thing I learned from last year was things often did not happen according to plan so I should always have a plan B. Today's rain washed away my plan and I came home frustrated. Frustration grew when I saw the Z7 sitting on the shelf. I only played with the settings and took some test shots to see if things were okay, but didn't take any serious shooting in order not to break the rule. Tomorrow my brother will borrow it so that it will be out of my sight for the time being.

View attachment 1623806

What lens do you have on your Z7? Looks pretty big, but that could just be the perspective.

Real Name
Paul
D10 - Z7(frustration)

View attachment 1623806
I hear ya. The best plans are often ruined. Tomorrow will be better!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
What lens do you have on your Z7? Looks pretty big, but that could just be the perspective.
It's the 24-70 F/4. Yes, looks big from the photo but in fact not very bulky.

Day 9 brings back memories ... I remember those buildings!! I think the B&W conversion and square crop work really well on this image. Well done!!

Ken
Thank you very much.

Yes, things can change next day.

Sometimes brothers are useful :)
Exactly.

D10 - Z7(frustration)

View attachment 1623806
Now I'm jea.... - I'd like to be your brother. As speaking of the rules: You cannot mount your lenses, ok, but would changing cameras while keeping the lens be OK for Octoberfest? I'm thinking about doing so ...

I almost ordered one, but I'm not sure about getting a Z6 instead, or a D8x0... I sometimes want a tad more resolution than my good old D3, and a mirrorless would be appealing, replacing the Sony insted of the D3. If only they could focus screwdrivers.. ;)

Back to your image:
That's the 24-70 as I must guess seeing the zoom ring, you chose to focus on the "Nikon" capture - good choice. But as the front lens part is oof: Doesn't it have any letters on it? It looks somehow... grey, edited. Strange.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
I didn't buy the 850 as I knew that a mirrorless was coming, so I go for the Z7. My brother has the 850 so he can do some comparison.

Using a tele, it's not possible to get the lens and camera both in focus. The front end of the lens was quite dark with the available room light so I used the iPhone light trying to put some catch light on it, thus the strange effort around it.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
D11 - Yoda again

Today I was quite mentally exhausted after work. I initially planned to take a rest first and then went out to see what I could get in the neighbourhood. Then Yoda came and offered to pose for me.

Oct11.jpg

D10 - Z7(frustration)

View attachment 1623806
Delayed Plan A's are a test of character, Phil. You passed.

Lots of love being shown for that lens in the reviews I've read so far. I'll be interested in following you online after you've switched gears following Octoberfest.

Latest threads

Top Bottom