1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured 2018 Petit Le Mans - IMSA Racing with D500

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by ijm5012, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Thank you. Yes, with a 10 hour race, there's plenty of time to practice! Haha

Thank you. The series provides great racing for the fans.

2. Fantastic images, I can't decide on a favorite :) 

3. Thanks Bill, I appreciate the kind words. Trust me, it was tough to narrow it down to just 20 images from 3 days worth of shooting!

4. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    Hello, you`ve a great job in my eyes. Most of the images are stunning in light and motion/emotion.
    It was a pleasure for me, looking and reading this thread. and for sure, the D500 is a good tool in your hands !!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. While I'm not in to car pictures and motor sorts, these are fabulous! Nice variety of styles, great action and you've captured the motion so well.

6. Hi Eric, thank you for the kind words. I really enjoyed shooting these, and agree that the D500 is a great tool. I'm glad many Cafe members are enjoying the images.

Thank you Nick. That is the challenge with photographing motorsports: Attempting to convey motion with a medium that freezes moments in time. It's a challenge, but one that I personally love. I'm pleased with these images, and appreciate the feedback from Cafe members and photographers that've been at this far longer than I.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Nice work, Ian! The D500 is serving you well. Just curious, did you get a press pass or were you shooting from the stands?

--Ken

8. Thanks Ken. Yep, the D500 is a fantastic camera. All of these images were taken from general spectator areas, no press pass at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was a bit of a motorsports fan in my teens, and the love of a beautiful vehicle still catches my eye, so I would probably love to try shooting at a race. Keep up the good work!

--Ken

10. Thanks Ken. I love being at the races. The look, sound, and smell of the cars is invigorating. Trying to capture them in an image while conveying a sense of speed and atmosphere is a good challenge!

• Like Like x 1
  11. LV it!!!

12. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow! Fantastic.

13. Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  14. I didn't know what to expect, as I had never heard of Petit Le Mans. First thoughts were it was a model racing set ... Boy, was I wrong and boy are these good!

I especially like all the panning shots - great job.

15. Haha, thanks Bill. Yeah, no model racing for me. I prefer the real ones that make a lot of noise ;) 

I appreciate the comment, and am glad you enjoyed the images!

16. Great stuff!
    Reminds me that I need to get to COTA in 2019 more often!

17. Excellent shooting!

18. Fantastic shots, all of them!

19. Thank you. COTA is tough to shoot at though. Catch fencing everywhere, HUGE run-off areas, etc. All the downsides of a modern "Grade 1" FIA circuit.

Thank you Sal

Thanks Rick, I appreciate it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.