Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 1 (09 Dec)

Thanks, Harry, Klaus and Roland! Yeah, I tried a few shots closer-up with just the ornaments in the goblet, sans stem and foot, but they were not all that interesting so then I shifted to full image of goblet and that didn't look interesting, either, so then I had the bright idea of adding the little bear ornament. I really haven't done anything Christmasy around the house yet, but figured I'd at least start with this image! Also I noticed right after I'd first posted that there was a little spot on the image that I'd missed, so hurriedly fixed that and reposted....

It's been a busy day here so I didn't really have time to process more than one image after I'd reviewed them all. Hopefully tomorrow there will be more time for that!

I'm enjoying seeing the variety of uses that we have for our 50mm lenses -- really cool!

Many years ago, when my kids were still at home, I had a crafting business which allowed me to stay at home with my kids, but make some money. I made thousands of items over the years and had a successful business. I saved very few items. But, here is one Christmas decoration that I made that I still get out and enjoy every year.

Z6, FTZ, 50 f1.8 G
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Drab day, again, as it has been for over a week. Sauntered around the yard and it struck me how weird plants are--not only do they send forth tender buds right before the harshest time of the year, but up close they can be so full of detail. I left the out of focus bits in to "exaggerate" the sharpness of this S lens (handheld).

Many years ago, when my kids were still at home, I had a crafting business which allowed me to stay at home with my kids, but make some money. I made thousands of items over the years and had a successful business. I saved very few items. But, here is one Christmas decoration that I made that I still get out and enjoy every year.

Z6, FTZ, 50 f1.8 G
View attachment 1651149
No such talent here, and in my case, no patience either. That is a most warm looking snowman!

Like Nick said. "Drab day" here too. Holstein on a stump. Walking out the door with my nifty 50 on my way into town and noticed this doorstop. I think it's a doorstop. It's a metal cow my mother had, when she died no one wanted it so I brought it home. It's heavy, I had to huff and puff to get it on the stump.

• Klaus: Great way to start the day!
  • Chris: I tried something like that a while ago--I like your attempt so much more than my amateurish shot!
  • Harry: That's way to organized for me. Nikon boxes and I part after the free-return period is over.
  • Jim: Still vibrant after all these days!
  • Gordon: I've yet to try my 50S on landscape. This week, for sure!
  • Morty: Even before I read your notes, the picture screamed Ektachrome, to me. Nice.
  • Connie: Yup, time to dust the ol' Christmas spirit, one ornament at a time.
  • Roland: When our kids were as little as yours, we too did a lot of our work on the floor. Now we are strictly table-top! Love that holiday custom of building community ties.
  • Rick: A moose would say "Sandpoint" much more than a holstein-- :D

Drab day, again, as it has been for over a week. Sauntered around the yard and it struck me how weird plants are--not only do they send forth tender buds right before the harshest time of the year, but up close they can be so full of detail. I left the out of focus bits in to "exaggerate" the sharpness of this S lens (handheld).

View attachment 1651151
Can’t wait to see what you do with this lens.

My wife preparing for "advent's window", a tradition: every evening in December, until the 24th, someone else opens his house for an aperitif, a drink, a chat... and people are free to join in. You enter your name onto a list before it starts, chosing a day, and try to visit others and host one evening. That day, you present the decoration you've made for a window-frame, also, that will stay illuminated during night, for the rest of December.

For the first day, I messed up with chosing the right lens from the list in the Z 7, so the exif says 35mm, but it was the 50.
Looks like you have a very artistic but also very careful wife, Roland. Precision! I notice that you shot this at f1.2. Is the extremely narrow focus what you wanted?

Real Name
Andy
The daylight of the first day of Week 50 seems to have slipped by, so I thought I would let the Jupiter play with the lights. The Christmas trees were illuminated by bare hanging bulbs that have become Japanese fans.

Real Name
Andy
A cup of coffee, Nikon Café and Emma on the screen...
Here's the lens I'm using this week (and it's also my Monday picture):
Day 1 - Storage
Just one of the things that have turned my enclosed rear porch into a storage shed.
Thanksgiving Leftovers
Mundane Monday Morning Mountain shot.
Hammersmith Bridge
Pouring rain today, so definitely it was an indoors shooting session. Here's today's shot:
Cutting patterns
But, here is one Christmas decoration that I made that I still get out and enjoy every year
I left the out of focus bits in to "exaggerate" the sharpness of this S lens
Holstein on a stump.
Nice job, everyone. I barely managed to get a shot captured and uploaded myself, but I have enjoyed all of yours.

Real Name
Chris
Day 1 - Storage
Just one of the things that have turned my enclosed rear porch into a storage shed.
View attachment 1651119
Trying to do mostly monochrome this week, with an emphasis on graphic elements. Composed in-camera, might be better to crop bottom to get 5x7 format. What do you think?
Ha Harry, your closet looks a lot like mine used to! I moved, so most of my boxes are in boxes. My wife wondered about the three boxes labeled "Empty Boxes".

Thanksgiving Leftovers

View attachment 1651126
Jim, the precision you're showing here is just exquisite. This could be a neoclassical painting from a couple centuries ago. If you'd care to share, I'd love to know your lighting arrangement.

Will be using the Z 6 + 50/1.8S combo all week. Hope to be able to complete a full week, may resort to some product shots to lessen the physical effort if needed.

Mundane Monday Morning Mountain shot. Still trying to find the perfect spot with minimal foreground clutter and no visible man-made clutter. That waterfall just below and to the right of the peak on the right is supposed to have a dirt road that offers a viewpoint of the falls. Will try to find that this week. Although the 50 might be too tight for the spot.
View attachment 1651124
It's wintertime. I don't think anyone would mind if you made some indoor shots. But what you call mundane is magical, even to someone as close as Phoenix! I just spoke with my wife, and we are going to drive down to Carr Canyon before the winter is done (I'll keep you in the loop.) Is that the waterfall you speak of?

Real Name
Chris

Z6, FTZ, 50 f1.8 G
View attachment 1651149
Cute work Terri! I'll bet it was huge fun to be in that business.

View attachment 1651151
That is crzy growth Nick - the plant seems to be trying to get one more viable bit out there before winterfall. Your picture portraays sharpness galore!

Like Nick said. "Drab day" here too. Holstein on a stump. Walking out the door with my nifty 50 on my way into town and noticed this doorstop. I think it's a doorstop. It's a metal cow my mother had, when she died no one wanted it so I brought it home. It's heavy, I had to huff and puff to get it on the stump.
View attachment 1651152
That is udderly cool.

Real Name
Chris
The daylight of the first day of Week 50 seems to have slipped by, so I thought I would let the Jupiter play with the lights. The Christmas trees were illuminated by bare hanging bulbs that have become Japanese fans.
View attachment 1651169
The spread of the light is very special with your lens Andy. It's as if it transmitts position from the viewer's dimension, back onto the film, to show a very unique view that seems to be from just not quite this place. But close if you know what I mean. I loe it, and ... 'tis the season!

Today during my walk to and from Hammersmith Bridge.
Nikon D7200 (on its first real outing)
E-Series 50mm 1:1.8 Lens #1197053
JPG SOOC
Picture control set to Kodak Ektachrome
https://nikonpc.com

View attachment 1651127
Morty - good choice on the pc, I like the look.

Alrighty, here I am, armed with my 50mm f/2.8 macro! She's been needing a little love and attention since I've been spending most of my time with the 90mm macro lens.

Pouring rain today, so definitely it was an indoors shooting session. Here's today's shot:

View attachment 1651133
Nice little composition Connie - fun and festive. :)

My wife preparing for "advent's window", a tradition: every evening in December, until the 24th, someone else opens his house for an aperitif, a drink, a chat... and people are free to join in. You enter your name onto a list before it starts, chosing a day, and try to visit others and host one evening. That day, you present the decoration you've made for a window-frame, also, that will stay illuminated during night, for the rest of December.

For the first day, I messed up with chosing the right lens from the list in the Z 7, so the exif says 35mm, but it was the 50.

Cutting patterns

View attachment 1651137

50mm 1:1.2 @ 1.2, Nikon Z 7 camera body

Stars and tree

View attachment 1651138

50mm 1:1.2 @ 1.2, Nikon Z 7 camera body​
Thanks for the backstory Roland, will we see the completed window? Looking forward to your comparison shots between the two lenses this week.

Z6, FTZ, 50 f1.8 G
View attachment 1651149
Nice talent on display Terri - the snowman and the photo.

View attachment 1651151
Might be drab Nick, but not dull. Looking forward to what you come up with on the S this week. :)

View attachment 1651152
Love it Rick. :D

View attachment 1651169
Andy, I'm going enjoy watching you use this for the week.

<snip>
It's wintertime. I don't think anyone would mind if you made some indoor shots. But what you call mundane is magical, even to someone as close as Phoenix! I just spoke with my wife, and we are going to drive down to Carr Canyon before the winter is done (I'll keep you in the loop.) Is that the waterfall you speak of?
Thanks Chris. Yes, Carr Canyon. We've had some heavy rains off and on last week and the last couple days, so I'm not sure how the road is right now. If I feel up to it I'll go tomorrow and take a look. Definitely let me know when you're coming down.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom