Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 2 (10 Dec)

Real Name
Chris
Curious what testing methodology was used to determine randomness? Is the output being used to seed crypto?

Hey Rick, I ran ent on the data, and others have run Diehard. My device has built in software that monitors the filtered output, and reports the value of the 'randomness' in bits per byte, or Nats. You can tune the output, and I consider it useful if it's more than 7. I suppose I could do cryptography with it, but I made this one for one of my nerdiest friends who regularly plays D&D. The box (picture) has a dial that can be set to roll any of the dice, or to test the output (scope trace). The block display shows every one thousandth (or so) 16 bit number in binary while in testing mode. It's kind of mesmerizing.

Today, the Jupiter arose early to find reflections in the water and the first glazing of ice on the Fox River before dawn, then later found another in the warmth of my kitchen. View attachment 1651225 View attachment 1651226

Brrr - can almost feel the cold from here.

Like other places in the eastern U.S. it is cold, wet, and windy here today as a cold front passes through. Didn't find much to photograph except the old logging road I walk nearly every day.

Love the track through the woods - looks like a nice place to walk.

I decided that even though it is a lousy day outside for shooting that I would at least see how my 50mm f/2.8 does indoors when NOT shooting macro.....

View attachment 1651231

I can't keep my desktop that uncluttered. I am envious.

Nick wanted a moose, and lucky me one showed up on the same stump as the cow. We got a light dusting of snow this morning. Ignore the overly curious giant deer in the background, it's size is probably an anomaly of this 50mm lens. View attachment 1651232

Moose looks like he's eyeing deer...

Klaus - Tuesday

Ha! Emma found Cheryl's lipstick... :wideyed: :eek: :D

View attachment 1651235

Enjoy
Klaus

Too funny - hope it wasn't too difficult to cleanup.

Buster in the backyard visiting with his friends. Cold here this morning. View attachment 1651236

Cool shot - surprised the deer and Buster seem to get along so well.

View attachment 1651238

No time for commentary, but at least I took a photo!!

Beautiful.

One more custom:
Where my wife works, they do a thing called "Wichteln" (der Wichtel = the gnome). So let's call it 'gnoming'. All the people that want to play/join write their name on a piece of paper. All snippets go into box, and one after another has to pull out one snipped (put it back if it shows your own name). Then, out of a box with dates/playing days on paper snippets, draw another lot showing WHEN you have to bring a present to the one who's name you got.

Of course you don't tell anybody who's gonna get your little present, and don't tell when. The present should be transfered so nobody finds out who one's "Wichtel / gome" is. Hide it. Put it on the desk when people are away for lunch. Early morning. Late night... It doesn't have to be expensive, and it is allowed to bring something that hints to the one making the gift.... Sounds complicated, but it isn't.

Today my wife got a little present- home made pralines. She has an idea who could have made them... ;) Brought home, we enjoyed one each for dessert after dinnner. The children of course would have eaten more ;)

But Mayla and Luca only had two, each ;) They have enough of their own little presents - do you guys know what an "Advent calendar" is?

Mayla's 17

View attachment 1651241
50mm 1:1.2 @ f/1.2 on Z 7 camera

Luca's 24

View attachment 1651240
50mm 1:1.2 @ f/1.2 on Z 7 camera​

As Connie mentioned, gnoming is a lot like Secret Santa. Fun times.

I'd planned on a sunset shot for today, but at about 3 a big black cloud/fog bank rolled in toward the SW (sunset is a 3:59 all week) so I went to plan B.
We'd just returned from shopping and had a couple dozen candles for the house. I lit one of the half used ones; this is in an antique hammered tin wall sconce, made in Norway in the early 1900s. Red candle, red wall cold tin, makes for a rather festive and moody scene. And shooting while there is still enough ambient light helps.

View attachment 1651244

Beautiful antique, love how some of the older stuff still works perfectly a century later.

Day 2 - Tuesday - Grey and More Gray

View attachment 1651245

As others have said, another cloudy rainy day here in the Northeastern United States. Glad I am trying to shoot monochrome.

This was shot using a Vivitar #1 close-up lens attachment (is this cheating). Shutter speed was a bit high and the ISO accordingly. Fortunately the D600 can handle this well.

Anybody here who was part of the recent Octoberfest may have an inkling of what the subject matter was here.

Shades of gray, matching the weather's mood for many.

I hope some of you have red/cyan anaglyph glasses, cause I couldn't help myself, I made todqy's picture in 3D:

View attachment 1651264

It's the guts of a random number generator, an avalanche circuit.

Me glasses are buried in storage in one of several dozen boxes. :facepalm:

Hey Rick, I ran ent on the data, and others have run Diehard. My device has built in software that monitors the filtered output, and reports the value of the 'randomness' in bits per byte, or Nats. You can tune the output, and I consider it useful if it's more than 7. I suppose I could do cryptography with it, but I made this one for one of my nerdiest friends who regularly plays D&D. The box (picture) has a dial that can be set to roll any of the dice, or to test the output (scope trace). The block display shows every one thousandth (or so) 16 bit number in binary while in testing mode. It's kind of mesmerizing.
neat application for it. thanks.

I hope it's not cheating, as I used a 20mm extension tube for my picture today. I'm gonna guess this could be the face cover for your giant speakers?
You get the prize on the very first try, Chris. Yes, the speakers now stand on the back porch, one about five inches in front of the other. I wanted to show a bit of depth differentiation without it being obvious. Thanks for your comment.

You get the prize on the very first try, Chris. Yes, the speakers now stand on the back porch, one about five inches in front of the other. I wanted to show a bit of depth differentiation without it being obvious. Thanks for your comment.
Thanks for putting me out of my misery. I was doing my darndest to remember your Octoberfest posts, but in vain. Now, with your post I can clearly see those fabulous speakers. Such a crafty shot too!

[snipped for clarity since this was a multi quote post]

Cool! This is the first time I've seen your famous Macintosh - I'm jelly of your keyboard (I've got the short white one with out the extra keys.) At first I thought your mousepad was an old promotional Beatles record.

Thanks, Chris! I love my 15" MBP!! She was last year's Christmas present to myself. This year's Christmas present is sitting next to her, the LG 24" monitor......

When Apple first released the iMac Pro in Space Grey I took one look at the keyboard and mouse and said, "I want them!" but of course wasn't about to buy an iMac Pro just for that.... LOL! Thankfully a couple of months or so later Apple released the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad in Space Grey as individual purchases, so I hustled right over to the the Apple store and grabbed a mouse and keyboard. I had earlier been using the Magic Keyboard with the numbers pad in white as I really like the numbers keypad and use it fairly frequently. I've still got the shorter white keyboard somewhere, too, but haven't used it in a long time.

The mousepad is indeed an Apple mousepad, which I bought back in 2006 at the Company Store at 1 Infinite Loop on the original Cupertino Apple campus. I was tickled silly that it was orange -- my favorite color. LOL, hadn't thought about the circular shape and the connection to The Beatles.......LOL!!

Real Name
Andy
I'm a day late catching up to comments on Day 2...

Gray, windy, cold and rainy day.
Surprised that boat isn't dry docked for the winter!
Recently picked up some lighting stuff on sale. Having controllable light and better modifiers is new, so on the bottom of the learning curve right now.
Nice job. It is a constant learning curve with controlling light - whether it's natural or artificial.
the old logging road I walk nearly every day.
So different than today's image!
NOT shooting macro.....
Normal shot of macro images. Still a macro, technically?:ROFLMAO:
Nick wanted a moose, and lucky me one showed up on the same stump as the cow.
Such an assortment of tame wildlife!
Klaus - Tuesday
Emma!
Buster in the backyard visiting with his friends.
Where's my bow?
but at least I took a photo!!
Good one!
"Wichteln"
That's such a better name for the tradition than our mundane moniker "gift exchange" or "secret Santa."
Advent calendar
That moniker I think is somewhat universal - and the basis of a memorable song. (...and a partridge in a pear tree.)
antique hammered tin wall sconce, made in Norway in the early 1900s
Beautiful subject and lighting, Nick.
Grey and More Gray
December!
red/cyan anaglyph glasses
It's the guts of a random number generator, an avalanche circuit.
No extra charge for the 3D version?!

Latest threads

Top Bottom