Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 3 (11 Dec)

I thought I would get on my daily photo early today, before I need to get to work. I think 50mm is a hard focal length to shoot. Since it is the length that closely resembles our vision, I find it harder to get something dramatic. Today I am trying to get an interesting shot of my Christmas village. I shot it a lot of different ways, with different compositions and aperture settings, but since we are to only post one photo I can't share comparison images here. I'm still not entirely satisfied with my result, so I may will be shooting the same subject matter tomorrow. I'm trying to get a 3 dimensional look using depth of field but think I need to try arranging the buildings differently. I thought maybe the lights on the tree in the background would add some festive interest but I'm not sure it is totally effective. This will give me something to think about and try again tomorrow.
_DSC3835.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actually I prefer this one and will move the Road closed to the bucket thread.
We had one hour of clear sky this afternoon which created some amazing blues on the Thames.
I was also able to capture the couple of minutes at high tide when the river is still before moving in the low tide direction.
A boat sailed by and created this gentle wave.

I thought I would get on my daily photo early today, before I need to get to work. I think 50mm is a hard focal length to shoot. Since it is the length that closely resembles our vision, I find it harder to get something dramatic. Today I am trying to get an interesting shot of my Christmas village. I shot it a lot of different ways, with different compositions and aperture settings, but since we are to only post one photo I can't share comparison images here. I'm still not entirely satisfied with my result, so I may will be shooting the same subject matter tomorrow. I'm trying to get a 3 dimensional look using depth of field but think I need to try arranging the buildings differently. I thought maybe the lights on the tree in the background would add some festive interest but I'm not sure it is totally effective. This will give me something to think about and try again tomorrow.
Good luck on your quest, Terri. Given how attractive your decorations are, another set of photos will be a treat, I am sure.

We had one hour of clear sky this afternoon which created some amazing blues on the Thames.
I was also able to capture the couple of minutes at high tide when the river is still before moving in the low tide direction.
Good eye, Morty. Good eye. Beautiful.

Had a little surprise when I got up this morning and opened the blinds...... as soon as I was dressed for the day I grabbed the camera and stepped outdoors to greet my car in the parking lot:

View attachment 1651290
Good call Morty. I do like this one; the little splash of distant red makes for a great foil for the dominant blue. Love the wave/wake.

Day 3 - Toolbox at the ready

Sun finally out today after two days of gloom. I've had the toolbox waiting for some light, as I am doing picture-hanging and some decorating today.
I deliberately lightened up the shadows on the box itself to help delineate its skin wrinkles. Let me know how you would have handled this photo.

Since it is the length that closely resembles our vision, I find it harder to get something dramatic.
Love the shot Terri; it's so warm and cozy.
I agree, the 50 is a tough love for just the reason you note. We keep looking for the "spectacular" . Trust me, once we let go of some of our zoom-centric seeing the 50 will take over. I find that having used it for the Octoberfest I can now raise my camera and find that I'm in exactly the right place for a great shoot, rather than shuffling back and forth as I did in the early days.

Same scene as yesterday but with a fresh coat of snow and blue skies...

Couple of my favorite friends, Hank & Lola. Only had a few minutes to take photos this morning, it snowed last night and I had to get out and snowblow four driveways. I never would have thought to take photos of them with a 50mm lens.

View attachment 1651279
I like it Terri, but I agree it needs a little something on the right to balance the nicely lit house on the left.

Real Name
Andy
Viewed at a safe distance (across the river from the high school), here is the early morning traffic of teenagers speeding towards their school.
1. Red Gate bridge just before dawn
Jupiter-8_20191211_06_575227_19C_7346-Edit.jpg

The Jupiter does not like large areas of bright light in frame, especially when shot wide open. Here is my dozing dog at his favorite perch atop a sofa in our front room. Uncharacteristically, he has his back turned to the window that reveals the offending traffic that insists on driving/riding/walking on the street in front of his home.
2. Dog in a donut of light
Jupiter-8_20191211_14_140074_19C_7371.jpg

View attachment 1651279
As said by Pa / Jim, I also think the right side could use a bit more of an eye catcher. Leaving out the second, darker house and replace it with more of the bokeh lights might lead to a brighter, more balanced, yet better image.
Oh, and hey: You can post 3, I think - as the rules state, min 1, max 3. That's why I didn't just post 1... :( ;) :D ?

View attachment 1651290
Great skill in exposing for the water the way you did! I really like this shot!
Had a little surprise when I got up this morning and opened the blinds...... as soon as I was dressed for the day I grabbed the camera and stepped outdoors to greet my car in the parking lot:

View attachment 1651304
Oh ... I'm so glad I don't have to see that anymore since
a) carport is finished
b) Tesla has app controlled pre-heating anyway ;)
Day 3 - Toolbox at the ready

Sun finally out today after two days of gloom. I've had the toolbox waiting for some light, as I am doing picture-hanging and some decorating today.
I deliberately lightened up the shadows on the box itself to help delineate its skin wrinkles. Let me know how you would have handled this photo.

View attachment 1651305
Beautiful monochrome. Super contrast, harsh, bright and black, but it is exactly the way one expects to see such a scene! Completely natural ;)
I like the wood on the left. Keep wandering around with my eye, I detect more and more detail in it :) Well done!
Same scene as yesterday but with a fresh coat of snow and blue skies...

It was a stunner yesterday, and is one today: this is such a pleasing view. Curves, curves, and more curves, all leading through the straight, vertical lines formed by the trees! (y)
Couple of my favorite friends, Hank & Lola. Only had a few minutes to take photos this morning, it snowed last night and I had to get out and snowblow four driveways. I never would have thought to take photos of them with a 50mm lens.

View attachment 1651314

View attachment 1651315
If I ever like a dog shot...
(I'm a 'no dogs' man, sorry - but that has nothing to do with your picture. I stay away from threads like 'show your best dog shots' on FM, but you tricked me here ;) with good execution, showing what makes the 50 special ) I like... the shot ;) :D
Viewed at a safe distance (across the river from the high school), here is the early morning traffic of teenagers speeding towards their school.
1. Red Gate bridge just before dawn
View attachment 1651320

The Jupiter does not like large areas of bright light in frame, especially when shot wide open. Here is my dozing dog at his favorite perch atop a sofa in our front room. Uncharacteristically, he has his back turned to the window that reveals the offending traffic that insists on driving/riding/walking on the street in front of his home.
2. Dog in a donut of light
View attachment 1651321
wonderful traffic lights, and yet another... hey nice (!) dog shot ;)

View attachment 1651279
You're not the only one who has that feeling regarding the 50mm Terri. I find it my least-used. Despite that, I like the shot. Looking forward to your next versions of the village.

View attachment 1651290
These late autumn/ early winter water shots are coming certainly conveying mood. The processing adds to the emotion.

View attachment 1651304
Wintery abstract. I like it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom