Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 4 (12 Dec)

Busy moving snow around (again). What a PIA this slushy snow isView attachment 1651392View attachment 1651393. Anyway, the deer were curious and came out to see what I was up too. Put the shovel up and got my camera, hid (?) behind a tree, I wasn't hiding very well, they knew were I was and kept an eye on me.
Ui, rofl... If I wanted to shoot deer like that, so big in the frame, I'd need a 600/4 or 800/5.6 mounted on a D5. With TC in between... ;)

I second Nick's sentiments. But you shouldn't feel bad about the photo. A lot there to see for entertainment. They just park them there? For years?
I am not an expert but these have been there for as long as I remember.
It is expensive to keep a mooring or a hangar in London.
Also, sailing up and down the river (which is a tidal river) is only pleasant 4 months a year.
Many people end up disappointed and moved on, leaving their boat behind.

Today, it was our time to invite guest for the 'advent window' evening. In our commune's gazette, where the calendar showing all participants can be seen, my wife originally had "apero" (aperitif) in the list. That means it's held outside, maybe near a fire, with warm soup, drinks... But then, we decided to do it in our living room - we've had the outside thing last year.

There were about 20 visitors - not bad for a week day. We had "Bündner Gerstensuppe" (soup with barley, a special dish from Grisons, a canton in Switzerland), accopanied by wieners. Plus wine, beer, coffee, dessert, cookies, cake and brownies... ;) Quite enjoyable, full and loud, our home was.
The bigger children went upstairs, playing in Mayla's room, and the little ones stayed with us, around the table, eating what ever they could get hold of ;) Most left around 8:30 (we wrote 6 to 8), Children went to bed, and we've cleaned up already. Now it's time for the cafe...

I promisd to show what my wife has created this year. The window is the one in our little office, which used to be a kitchen before we renovated the house. That's why it is quite high above the floor, and of reduced height itself - once, the washing up was done under it, inside. Today, I sit at my desk inside, right under the window - being higher up, it leaves enough space for desk and monitor under it. That's from where I'm typing this ;)

Enough chatter, here we go

Advent Window, Dec 12, by Claudia
Black cardboard silhouettes, tissue paper behind these, and chains of lights.
Curtains closed, illuminated by the room spots.
Will stay lit now, once it's unveiled.

Z07_6327_v1.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Outside decoration next to staircase from driveway to kitchen terrace
Birch tree angel, cherry twigs star

Z07_6319_v1.JPG

Today, it was our time to invite guest for the 'advent window' evening. In our commune's gazette, where the calendar showing all participants can be seen, my wife originally had "apero" (aperitif) in the list. That means it's held outside, maybe near a fire, with warm soup, drinks... But then, we decided to do it in our living room - we've had the outside thing last year.

There were about 20 visitors - not bad for a week day. We had "Bündner Gerstensuppe" (soup with barley, a special dish from Grisons, a canton in Switzerland), accopanied by wieners. Plus wine, beer, coffee, dessert, cookies, cake and brownies... ;) Quite enjoyable, full and loud, our home was.
The bigger children went upstairs, playing in Mayla's room, and the little ones stayed with us, around the table, eating what ever they could get hold of ;) Most left around 8:30 (we wrote 6 to 8), Children went to bed, and we've cleaned up already. Now it's time for the cafe...

I promisd to show what my wife has created this year. The window is the one in our little office, which used to be a kitchen before we renovated the house. That's why it is quite high above the floor, and of reduced height itself - once, the washing up was done under it, inside. Today, I sit at my desk inside, typing this.

View attachment 1651405

View attachment 1651404
What a talented and social family you are. Wonderful work!

Found some color. The building was once THE place for the gentlemen of Moscow (early 1900s) for a couple of decades or so. It housed naval officers during WW2 (The University of Idaho ran a large signals/radio school for the navy) and after that it was carved up into apartments and eventually fell into disrepair. Over the past 10-15 years it has slowly been renovated and while it is still an apartment building, the owner lives there. He probably is responsible for the bikes, but I'm not sure.

1. Over the past year the bikes have appeared, one at a time. There is a green one higher up on the house which I couldn't fit in (it's fronted by a 3-lane, one-way arterial street). The flowers are fresh in season, but plastic for now. The flag says "Follow you joy".

2. Makes for a nice fence.

Connie: I love the reflection and all the contrasting shapes.
Rick: Your deer are tamer than your dogs :D
Jim: So nice of the red jacket to take the center spot!
Harry: That hurts! If I'm not mistaken, a Tesla would have recorded the whole event with it's "body" cams.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
That combo Lens+Camera is insane !
So sharp.
And the long exposure has made the water so smooth. Wonderful.
Today's offering:
Great reflection.
Busy moving snow around (again). What a PIA this slushy snow is
I'm so envious that your deer let you get so close.
Crossing the bridge
I love this kind of image. The lines of perspective balanced by the pedestrians is just right.
Day 4 - Not a Lump of Coal in My Stocking, But .........
Geico time.
You guys are really in the spirit of the Christmas season. Nice juxtaposition with the Star of David to honor Hannukah as well.
the bikes have appeared, one at a time
Primary colors abound!

Real Name
Andy
Aside from a quick pre-dawn trip to drop off the kids at school, I didn't set foot outside at all today, so I thought I'd try playing around with lighting on a seasonally-appropriate subject.

1. Rembrandt lighting with a bounced umbrella
Jupiter-8_20191212_17_321355_19C_7395.jpg

2. Snooted bare strobe
Jupiter-8_20191212_17_443778_19C_7411.jpg

3. Pullback for #2
Jupiter-8_20191212_17_470372_19C_7412.jpg

Last edited:

I promisd to show what my wife has created this year. The window is the one in our little office, which used to be a kitchen before we renovated the house. That's why it is quite high above the floor, and of reduced height itself - once, the washing up was done under it, inside. Today, I sit at my desk inside, right under the window - being higher up, it leaves enough space for desk and monitor under it. That's from where I'm typing this ;)

View attachment 1651405

View attachment 1651404
Well done, Roland. Your wife is a real artist.

Found some color. The building was once THE place for the gentlemen of Moscow (early 1900s) for a couple of decades or so. It housed naval officers during WW2 (The University of Idaho ran a large signals/radio school for the navy) and after that it was carved up into apartments and eventually fell into disrepair. Over the past 10-15 years it has slowly been renovated and while it is still an apartment building, the owner lives there. He probably is responsible for the bikes, but I'm not sure.

1. Over the past year the bikes have appeared, one at a time. There is a green one higher up on the house which I couldn't fit in (it's fronted by a 3-lane, one-way arterial street). The flowers are fresh in season, but plastic for now. The flag says "Follow you joy".

View attachment 1651409

2. Makes for a nice fence.

View attachment 1651410
Wow, you did find some color. And thanks for the story.

BTW, grass looks awfully green there for this time of year.

Interesting reflections. You have used this for the previous week's Collective Shoot.
Thanks, Jim! Not the same image or same subject, though.....today's reflective image was fresh out of the camera! I had experimented with a couple of other ideas, neither of which really panned out the way I wanted, and then I tried the silver paper as a backdrop, and that didn't seem satisfactory, either, so then thought to try setting the subject down on the silver paper and see what happened....

I really like this, Connie. Is that just tinfoil it is sitting on and simply an overhead light? Or is it more complicated than that? However shot, a beautiful photo.
Thanks, Harry! The subject (small poinsettia) is sitting on top of a piece of silver art paper that is highly reflective.... The overhead and sole light source was to come from the sun, but just as I was ready to shoot the darned sun decided to somewhat dim itself by slipping under a few clouds for a while, so the light wasn't as bright as I'd been expecting...... AAAGH!!!! No fancy studio setup here, the subject and the paper it was sitting on was on my dresser in my bedroom, which is adjacent to a window where I get lots of natural light. I positioned a piece of black foam core in the lower part of the window to use as a backdrop in order to block out unwanted images of bushes and such right outside, and cars in the adjacent parking lot. I didn't use supplementary lighting for this, although I should've probably done so, but both my small LED light panels were busy being recharged.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom