Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 4 (12 Dec)

Looks a bit chilly. Love seeing the wonderful spots you have to walk.

Day 4 - Not a Lump of Coal in My Stocking, But .........

not a nice early Christmas present, either. Somebody sideswiped my rearview mirror during the night and created this (two other pictures in the bucket.) My guess is it was either a truck or a large SUV, since their mirror obviously was higher than mine. Glad it wasn't a full sideswipe.View attachment 1651401

Here is the link to the bucket: Bucket Shots
Ouch. I'm glad there wasn't any worse damage for you to deal with Harry.

Interesting to see where you focused :) The reflection, esp. the light, is perfectly aligned. That shows you took care of gettin' it right ;)
Thanks, Roland! Yes, I spent some time fiddling with the reflection and what it was reflecting and trying to establish a sort of "frame" around the subject.... Lots of rejected images before I finally was able to get just what I was aiming for! I was dealing with reflection, lighting, backdrop and actual window frames, trying to get everything to work out just right! Today's image took much longer to execute than I had been intending to spend, but hey, it all worked out in the end. Shots tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday will probably be much more quickly shot as time will be limited.

Today, it was our time to invite guest for the 'advent window' evening. In our commune's gazette, where the calendar showing all participants can be seen, my wife originally had "apero" (aperitif) in the list. That means it's held outside, maybe near a fire, with warm soup, drinks... But then, we decided to do it in our living room - we've had the outside thing last year.

There were about 20 visitors - not bad for a week day. We had "Bündner Gerstensuppe" (soup with barley, a special dish from Grisons, a canton in Switzerland), accopanied by wieners. Plus wine, beer, coffee, dessert, cookies, cake and brownies... ;) Quite enjoyable, full and loud, our home was.
The bigger children went upstairs, playing in Mayla's room, and the little ones stayed with us, around the table, eating what ever they could get hold of ;) Most left around 8:30 (we wrote 6 to 8), Children went to bed, and we've cleaned up already. Now it's time for the cafe...

I promisd to show what my wife has created this year. The window is the one in our little office, which used to be a kitchen before we renovated the house. That's why it is quite high above the floor, and of reduced height itself - once, the washing up was done under it, inside. Today, I sit at my desk inside, right under the window - being higher up, it leaves enough space for desk and monitor under it. That's from where I'm typing this ;)

Enough chatter, here we go

Advent Window, Dec 12, by Claudia
Black cardboard silhouettes, tissue paper behind these, and chains of lights.
Curtains closed, illuminated by the room spots.
Will stay lit now, once it's unveiled.

View attachment 1651405

Outside decoration next to staircase from driveway to kitchen terrace
Birch tree angel, cherry twigs star

View attachment 1651404
It's fun and informative watching this series develop. I really like that wonderful window display - creative and well-done!

Found some color. The building was once THE place for the gentlemen of Moscow (early 1900s) for a couple of decades or so. It housed naval officers during WW2 (The University of Idaho ran a large signals/radio school for the navy) and after that it was carved up into apartments and eventually fell into disrepair. Over the past 10-15 years it has slowly been renovated and while it is still an apartment building, the owner lives there. He probably is responsible for the bikes, but I'm not sure.

1. Over the past year the bikes have appeared, one at a time. There is a green one higher up on the house which I couldn't fit in (it's fronted by a 3-lane, one-way arterial street). The flowers are fresh in season, but plastic for now. The flag says "Follow you joy".

View attachment 1651409

2. Makes for a nice fence.

View attachment 1651410
Nice colors! Interesting history. Glad to see the old place being cared for, hate to see wonderful older architecture wasting away and then torn down.

Since plans A and B didn't pan out today... on to Plan C. This was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Shot simply to show scale, the new pocket knife is just big enough for my hand. It's just a tiny bit smaller than my Swiss Army Knife Trekker, but the body and blade of the Boker are taller than the SAK.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since plans A and B didn't pan out today... on to Plan C. This was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Shot simply to show scale, the new pocket knife is just big enough for my hand. It's just a tiny bit smaller than my Swiss Army Knife Trekker, but the body and blade of the Boker are taller than the SAK.
View attachment 1651425
Well done, Gordon. Just the right depth of field.

There have certainly been some wonderful photos here today! Harry, I'm sorry yours had to be of such an unfortunate event! Roland, I quite agree with the sentiment that your wife is quite the artist -- that Advent window cutout display is just gorgeous! Nick -- love those colorful bicycles! Andy, your Santa Claus is so cute, and that is neat seeing how you actually do the setup. Gordon, nice shot of the knife and your hand.... I know next to nothing about knives, but that one looks as though it could be quite useful at times. Ack, I knew I was leaving something out -- Morty, your photo of the Thames at night is stunning. Wow -- and with a manual lens, to boot!

Real Name
Chris
It looks like the airlock fan from Total Recall:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Today, it was our time to invite guest for the 'advent window' evening. In our commune's gazette, where the calendar showing all participants can be seen, my wife originally had "apero" (aperitif) in the list. That means it's held outside, maybe near a fire, with warm soup, drinks... But then, we decided to do it in our living room - we've had the outside thing last year.

There were about 20 visitors - not bad for a week day. We had "Bündner Gerstensuppe" (soup with barley, a special dish from Grisons, a canton in Switzerland), accopanied by wieners. Plus wine, beer, coffee, dessert, cookies, cake and brownies... ;) Quite enjoyable, full and loud, our home was.
The bigger children went upstairs, playing in Mayla's room, and the little ones stayed with us, around the table, eating what ever they could get hold of ;) Most left around 8:30 (we wrote 6 to 8), Children went to bed, and we've cleaned up already. Now it's time for the cafe...

I promisd to show what my wife has created this year. The window is the one in our little office, which used to be a kitchen before we renovated the house. That's why it is quite high above the floor, and of reduced height itself - once, the washing up was done under it, inside. Today, I sit at my desk inside, right under the window - being higher up, it leaves enough space for desk and monitor under it. That's from where I'm typing this ;)

View attachment 1651405

Birch tree angel, cherry twigs star​
Wow. Wow. Wow. Gorgeous work, and good capture of it, Roland. Give your wife my admiration.

Thanks, Harry! The subject (small poinsettia) is sitting on top of a piece of silver art paper that is highly reflective.... The overhead and sole light source was to come from the sun, but just as I was ready to shoot the darned sun decided to somewhat dim itself by slipping under a few clouds for a while, so the light wasn't as bright as I'd been expecting...... AAAGH!!!! No fancy studio setup here, the subject and the paper it was sitting on was on my dresser in my bedroom, which is adjacent to a window where I get lots of natural light. I positioned a piece of black foam core in the lower part of the window to use as a backdrop in order to block out unwanted images of bushes and such right outside, and cars in the adjacent parking lot. I didn't use supplementary lighting for this, although I should've probably done so, but both my small LED light panels were busy being recharged.
Makes what you achieved even more impressive, Connie. I never would have guessed.

Found some color. The building was once THE place for the gentlemen of Moscow (early 1900s) for a couple of decades or so. It housed naval officers during WW2 (The University of Idaho ran a large signals/radio school for the navy) and after that it was carved up into apartments and eventually fell into disrepair. Over the past 10-15 years it has slowly been renovated and while it is still an apartment building, the owner lives there. He probably is responsible for the bikes, but I'm not sure.

1. Over the past year the bikes have appeared, one at a time. There is a green one higher up on the house which I couldn't fit in (it's fronted by a 3-lane, one-way arterial street). The flowers are fresh in season, but plastic for now. The flag says "Follow you joy".

View attachment 1651409

View attachment 1651410
Really interesting, Nick. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for showing it.

Real Name
Chris
Whew! I finally get a few minutes to look at the pictures in (now yesterday's) thread. in my defence, we've had birthdays and cousins coming for an extended stay, so I've been pretty busy all week. I'll start with Gordo's knife, and proceed in reverse order.

View attachment 1651425
I like the knife Gordon. And the oof accoutrements in the background are somewhat mysterious because of the way you are holding the knife. Speaking of holding the knife, folding knives without a blade guard always meke me nervous. I always imagine that, while battling a pirate, it accidentally closes on a backslash and takes off my finger tips. Not a good way to lose a knife fight!
Aside from a quick pre-dawn trip to drop off the kids at school, I didn't set foot outside at all today, so I thought I'd try playing around with lighting on a seasonally-appropriate subject.

1. Rembrandt lighting with a bounced umbrella
View attachment 1651419

2. Snooted bare strobe
View attachment 1651420

3. Pullback for #2
View attachment 1651421
Thanks for the setup shot Being a gear guy, I'm always pleased to see what other people do. You made a really nice cyclic wall for the little Santa.

View attachment 1651409

View attachment 1651410
Buildings with history are so much fun! The house I just left had some, and I always enjoy finding out about them. Your bicycle house is way cool - the under porch area is probably very magical to youngsters in the area!

View attachment 1651405

Birch tree angel, cherry twigs star

View attachment 1651404
I agree, so artistic, and public art at that! I really like the window cutout, especially since we got to see it in the making.

Day 4 - Not a Lump of Coal in My Stocking, But .........

not a nice early Christmas present, either. Somebody sideswiped my rearview mirror during the night and created this (two other pictures in the bucket.) My guess is it was either a truck or a large SUV, since their mirror obviously was higher than mine. Glad it wasn't a full sideswipe.View attachment 1651401

Here is the link to the bucket: Bucket Shots
Hey, they left the part that you need a mirror for! It looks like a monster lobster claw now, so there's that too!

Jim, the converging lines really work for this picture. So does the red coat dead center.

Busy moving snow around (again). What a PIA this slushy snow isView attachment 1651392View attachment 1651393. Anyway, the deer were curious and came out to see what I was up too. Put the shovel up and got my camera, hid (?) behind a tree, I wasn't hiding very well, they knew were I was and kept an eye on me.
We don't have much friendly wildlife in Arizona. These deer are dear.

Points' abound! And your reflecting surface is too cool!

That combo Lens+Camera is insane !
So sharp.

View attachment 1651386
Absolute disaster weather wise. Since my Xmas tree is not up yet, that is not an option.
Yesterday or the day before someone mentioned that Valerie (the old boat) should be safely taken out of the water for winter storage.
I went to the yacht club to find out what they did with old unloved boats.
I had to aim the camera at arms length through the locked fence while it was raining.

I might change the picture if I find something more interesting later on.
It might even be a late night Thames picture.
View attachment 1651379
Of the two pictures, the boats in the alley is my favorite - it's full of character and emotion. I'm sure the weather and your discomfort during the shoot helped with that! The late night river is nice, but the drydocked boats got grit!

<snip>
I like the knife Gordon. And the oof accoutrements in the background are somewhat mysterious because of the way you are holding the knife. Speaking of holding the knife, folding knives without a blade guard always meke me nervous. I always imagine that, while battling a pirate, it accidentally closes on a backslash and takes off my finger tips. Not a good way to lose a knife fight!
<snip>
Thanks Chris. And it's definitely not a fighting knife, that's why you don't see any guard. (Although it does have a lock to keep the blade from unintentionally closing, I prefer having a positive lock on knives these days.) Simply a pocket knife. Opening packages, whittling wood, cutting meat at a BBQ/ campfire cookout, etc...

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Chris. And it's definitely not a fighting knife, that's why you don't see any guard. (Although it does have a lock to keep the blade from unintentionally closing, I prefer having a positive lock on knives these days.) Simply a pocket knife. Opening packages, whittling wood, cutting meat at a BBQ/ campfire cookout, etc...
Yeah, but if the pirates attack ... 🏴‍☠️

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom