Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 5 (13 Dec)

This week end we are having a family reunion in a hotel in central London, as there are many young ones, photo is not the priority for this week end.
I will to take some pix as and when I can.
Here are today's:
The first one is the one I prefer, from one of the top floors of the Royal Garden Hotel, looking above Kensington Gardens into Hyde Park and central London.
The 50mm is not what we would call a landscape lens but in this occasion it is not too bad.
View attachment 1651476 View attachment 1651473 View attachment 1651474 View attachment 1651479

A Tale of Two Grandchildren

Royce's cousin came for a visit today, so we rode the train!
View attachment 1651468

Royce certainly looks ready for some fun. Anticipation...

I started walking for exercise a couple of months ago, I walk 6 miles a day now on average. This winter I looked around for places to walk inside, the 3 choices here are Walmart, North 40 and Home Depot, the one I visit most often is Home Depot. Lot of stuff to look at, what has really surprised me is the number of cordless tools. I went there today and took some photos trying to use a technique I saw in a Youtube video a couple of months ago - moving the camera. Results vary a lot, I don't like most of them. I only remember what one of these is - the 2nd photo is those little sample cards they have in the paint department. View attachment 1651470 View attachment 1651471 View attachment 1651472

These are neat - I like the first one. Like a light saber captured in slo-mo.

Three shots from three lenses all 50mm primes set at f/11, with a static setup, camera fixed on tripod at ISO 100, 1/2" exposure, SOOC jpgs:

1. Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
View attachment 1651475

2. Jupiter-8 50mm f/2
View attachment 1651477

3. Takumar 50mm f/1.4
View attachment 1651478

Interesting differences in tonality between the three.

This week end we are having a family reunion in a hotel in central London, as there are many young ones, photo is not the priority for this week end.
Here are today's:
The first one is the one I prefer, from one of the top floors of the Royal Garden Hotel, looking above Kensington Gardens into Hyde Park and central London.
The 50mm is not what we would call a landscape lens but in this occasion it is not too bad.
View attachment 1651476 View attachment 1651473 View attachment 1651474 View attachment 1651479

Nice night set - I'm digging the second photo.

Real Name
Andy
just a placeholder for Day 5 and shows why I'm not out shooting pictures today.
I’m starting to feel like most of my images are placeholders in this meme.
A Christmas bunny - 'Easter's at the door!',
Truly clever!
from my dining room/office/den where I am now holed up starting my Christmas cards
A task we are still procrastinating.
clear blue skies and no waterfall.
Who doesn’t yearn for blue skies in December?
A Tale of Two Grandchildren
Double trouble!
moving the camera
Really nice results here!

Wow, while I've been busy offline most of the day you guys have been posting up a storm! Terri, I hope you will be feeling better very soon -- nothing worse than being ill during the holiday season! I love that yard light and the stars -- and the bokeh from the adjacent lighting! Wish we had such pretty lights around our condo development rather than the fairly utilitarian ones we do....

Andy -- Yes, it's weird, isn't it, thinking of CDs as being old-fashioned, and seeing LPs suddenly re-emerging as a new generation discovers them. Most of the time I listen to my music now on my computer with my iTunes library, streaming my music directly from my iPhone to my hearing aids and by plugging my iPhone into a port in the car stereo system -- much more convenient and safer than fumbling with swapping out CDs on a long trip! Since I have found these CDs again, though, I think I'll enjoy playing them in the car while driving around town over the next two or three weeks.

I was wondering about that rocket ship thingy, too -- makes sense that it is in a children's playground and I'll bet they have fun on it!

Interesting comparisons between the different 50mm lenses and how they treat the same subject with the same lighting setup.....

Jim -- I don't blame you for not going out today in that nasty ice and bad weather! We didn't have ice here but we did get a dose of fog late in the day, just as I was driving home from my eye appointment.... Well, at least I didn't have to worry about bright sun bothering my dilated eyes!

Harry -- Enjoy your Christmas music, too, and also writing your Christmas cards! Fewer and fewer people seem to be sending cards these days, as I guess like me, they figure it's quicker and easier to just make a phone call, send a text or an email.....

Roland -- how strange, an Easter Bunny at Christmastime!!! Someone was jumping the season or just wasn't thinking. Weird!

Gordon -- oh, am I envious of you in warm, sunny and blue skies Arizona!!! For you wintertime isn't nearly the misery that it is for us on the East Coast.....

Chris, looks as though you had a busy day ahead of you with the two kiddos! Bet you all had fun!

Rick -- love those abstracts!! That moving-the-camera technique can really present some interesting images! Swinging the camera from side-to-side or up-and-down while making an exposure feels weird but, what fun!! I've only tried it a couple of times and haven't had a lot of success.

Morty -- love the night scenes of London and the lights from the moving cars!

Well, after my appointment at the ophthalmologist I am a bit upset at the possibility that glaucoma might be developing; I've already got cataracts slowly ripening, and that should be enough!!! Another appointment in a few months should give us more definitive answers, though, but at least my perception that my vision has changed and not for the better was confirmed and I now have a new prescription. New lenses in a couple of weeks....

In the meantime I decided that for various reasons to cancel my weekend overnight trip -- the doctor and I discussed driving and right now I'm fine with driving during the day and in familiar territory, but he and I both felt that going further afield into new unknown territory, especially in problematic weather or driving at night just isn't a good idea. I actually haven't been driving much at night for a while now anyway. The new prescription will help a lot but of course I won't have the new lenses for a couple of weeks. So I'll be here at home this weekend after all!

Last edited:
I started walking for exercise a couple of months ago, I walk 6 miles a day now on average. This winter I looked around for places to walk inside, the 3 choices here are Walmart, North 40 and Home Depot, the one I visit most often is Home Depot. Lot of stuff to look at, what has really surprised me is the number of cordless tools. I went there today and took some photos trying to use a technique I saw in a Youtube video a couple of months ago - moving the camera. Results vary a lot, I don't like most of them. I only remember what one of these is - the 2nd photo is those little sample cards they have in the paint department. View attachment 1651470 View attachment 1651471 View attachment 1651472
Interesting experiment. I actually like them all, but especially #2.

I’ve been doing product photos of various items that we’re selling off via eBay and Facebook marketplace. Normally, my go to lens is the 55mm Micro-Nikon, but as it is Week 50, I thought I would do a little shootout between a new-ish Nikkor, the Jupiter-8 that has been my “official lens of the meme” and the radioactive Takumar. So, here are three shots from three at f/11, with a static setup, camera fixed on tripod at ISO 100, 1/2" exposure, SOOC jpgs:

1. Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
View attachment 1651475

2. Jupiter-8 50mm f/2
View attachment 1651477

3. Takumar 50mm f/1.4
View attachment 1651478
I assume the actual background is the dark grey of #1 and #2. The Pentax (#3) certainly then loses on color fidelity. It also loses on sharpness. The Nikon and the Jupiter pretty much look equivalent to me, although for some reason the Nikon just seems to "jump" at me a bit more. Can't put my finger on it ... dynamic range, maybe?

Here are today's:
Some very nice night photography, Morty. Enjoy the weekend!

Never got around to shooting yesterday. Wife was goone for 3-4 hours in the evening so I decided to take over the dining room and work with the lights, modifiers etc. Just as I was getting ready to haul everything out some out-of-town friends stopped in on their way home (some 2 hours away). They have 2 wild and friendly kids (3 and 5) so photography took a back seat.

I'll post an extra for today.

Terri: such a mysterious and warming shot. Even knowing what it is it has no sense of scale. Love the colors.
Connie: That reminded me to get some of our music out. Well shot.
Andy: I bet any kid would love having that in their yard! You should try your hand at flying it :D
Jim: I share your "frustration" , but it's nice to be warm and safe inside on days like that.
Roland: Easter in December, what's next?
Harry: I really love that shot. So much detail the contrasting shades of grey. Love how the texture/pattern of the curtain changes depending on the light and background.
Chris: What fun and what a contrast in expressions!
Rick: I love those abstracts. Movement (and zooming too) can make for very interesting images. Might have to try some with the Christmas tree lights when we get it up.
Andy: That Takumar is certainly nuclear!

Latest threads

Top Bottom