Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 6 (14 Dec)

Rick: Love it. Looks like winter has made it up your way!
Morty: You do such a great job with night shots in the city. I should start doing that, especially now that it's dark for so long and often wet.
Connie: Yup, somedays the weather wins a round!
Terri: As much as I loved my 1.8G on my Z6, the 1.8S is even better. Sharp across the frame and wide open. But as you note, it is an expensive upgrade.

Today was a good day for this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
Yet another day of an extreme lack of creative inspiration on my part resulted in a couple more shots that simply demonstrate (a) our tree is now decorated and (b) the Jupiter-8 bokeh is pretty decent, but it doesn't focus very close.

1. Bannister (at minimum focusing distance and wide open) with Christmas lights to produce bokeh balls. Note how they really misbehave the further they are from the center of the frame. They look like eyes complete with eyelashes to me.

2. Having seen some of the wonderful stars that others have been getting with their native Z-mount 50mm f/1.8 S lenses, I tried stopping the Jupe down to f/22 to see if it can generate decent diffraction stars. It can't.

Oh well. Thanks for looking and apologies for making you endure these mundane images. One more day left for me to try to make a decent Week 50 image with the Jupiter-8. Fingers crossed.

I'll get caught up on the thread later today and tomorrow. Between periods of busy and rest today, I forgot to go shoot this morning. So I grabbed a shot of what I was doing. One of several piles of clothes for donation. Have had to replace synthetic clothing that wears against my skin with natural fibers and replace shorts with long pants. As a result I have a bunch of clothing I cannot wear anymore. Been going through drawers and boxes from storage, checking the items, washing, folding and re-boxing. Am also going through kitchen items and reducing to a bare minimum, so there's a batch of that as well. Now I need to get one of the organizations to come by and pick up all of the things.

Fresh snow today. I'm learning a lot this week. My 50 f1.8 G is very sharp on the Z6 with FTZ. I was thinking of getting the S version of the 50 but I've decided that my G version on the FTZ is great for the few times I want to use this focal length and need the faster glass. So, this challenge has been good for my pocketbook.
I love snow, Terri, and your picture puts me right in the middle of winter. I love it!

I'll get caught up on the thread later today and tomorrow. Between periods of busy and rest today, I forgot to go shoot this morning. So I grabbed a shot of what I was doing. One of several piles of clothes for donation. Have had to replace synthetic clothing that wears against my skin with natural fibers and replace shorts with long pants. As a result I have a bunch of clothing I cannot wear anymore. Been going through drawers and boxes from storage, checking the items, washing, folding and re-boxing. Am also going through kitchen items and reducing to a bare minimum, so there's a batch of that as well. Now I need to get one of the organizations to come by and pick up all of the things.
Gordon, I'm not sure any of the organizations has ever received such a clean, orderly set of duds like you show here. I'm sure they will be doubly grateful.

This is called Chuck Slough, no idea who Chuck was. It's just down a hill a bit from our house. Mari was driving, and I asked her to slow down so I could take a photo, she loves hearing this. Got the window down and snapped this one. There is no shoulder on the road there, and it's not a good place to stop since people come flying down the hill. During summer it's got quite a bit more water in it.View attachment 1651494
Nice movement through the shot. Love the atmosphere.

More of the skyline and Kensington High Street in the evening.
Sunset is 1552 and sunrise 0800, so not much daylight at the moment.
Kensington Palace in the first picture had some nice star light effects.
Probably a feature of the lens.
Experts would know.

View attachment 1651495View attachment 1651496View attachment 1651497View attachment 1651498
We're a bit better on daylight this time of year (0715 and 1720 today), but quite a bit further south. Love the activity in the street shot.

After getting mighty tired of the rain I decided that well, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em and stepped out on the deck to capture a view:

View attachment 1651499
Nice one - three bubble-views!

Snow to start the early morning with, followed by some great fog. Here are 3 that work for me:

1. Saw this little mailbox on a stump that was resprouting; I guess Elves need mail too!

View attachment 1651510

2. The Peter Basoa Stage in East City Park--a busy and vibrant place most of the year. Fog adds another layer of meaning to the place.

View attachment 1651511

3. Some gnarly old trees in East City Park. Mystical and mysterious. If the fog lasts I may have to go out at night.

View attachment 1651512
Agree with the others on shot 2, with 3 being a strong draw for me as well.

Quite a few shots taken, today, we we're off at my sister-in-law's for her birthday, for coffee and cake. Then back home, were I prepared dinner (I like to do the cooking, especially on the weekends when there's more time - we usually don't cook for dinner during week-days). I'll post a few more portraits in the bucket.

These caught my eye:

Mini-Bananas

View attachment 1651513

Mayla, her cousin, and his grandfather with a kite

View attachment 1651514

Preparing dinner - easy going, this time. While the main course, the self made pizza, was in the oven, and with the beet salad already prepared (children like that a lot), this is the finish for the green salad with a bit of red pepper: diced beacon and mushrooms, sautéed with a small shallot and a bit of garlic and a twist of wine. That went on top of the salad.
The glass on the left is to keep the cook happy - we had this one for dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore we've got to know years ago and always keep in stock (http://www.marcomosconi.it/vini/)

Wine, salad, beacon and mushrooms

View attachment 1651515
BABNANAS! And quality time with grand-dad. :D

(Salad looks tasty too.)

I was inside on another gloomy day printing both cover photo and inside text for forty-five 5x7 folding Christmas cards. A few of us in the family keep the tradition alive, but after the hours I put in today I sometimes wonder why. Tomorrow is "address time" which will require several more hours.

So my shooting was rushed and uninspired. So, instead I returned to a shot I had taken earlier in the week and reworked it substantially .... but still a pretty nondescript effort. I call it "Danger Lurking," since the black and white conversion somehow makes the whole thing a bit ominous.View attachment 1651529
Light and shadow, shades of gray.

Fresh snow today. I'm learning a lot this week. My 50 f1.8 G is very sharp on the Z6 with FTZ. I was thinking of getting the S version of the 50 but I've decided that my G version on the FTZ is great for the few times I want to use this focal length and need the faster glass. So, this challenge has been good for my pocketbook.View attachment 1651536
Great colors, retained detail in the snow in the plane of focus, looks like a keeper lens to me.

View attachment 1651540
A toasty fire on a cold day is a good thing. :)

Yet another day of an extreme lack of creative inspiration on my part resulted in a couple more shots that simply demonstrate (a) our tree is now decorated and (b) the Jupiter-8 bokeh is pretty decent, but it doesn't focus very close.

1. Bannister (at minimum focusing distance and wide open) with Christmas lights to produce bokeh balls. Note how they really misbehave the further they are from the center of the frame. They look like eyes complete with eyelashes to me.
View attachment 1651544

2. Having seen some of the wonderful stars that others have been getting with their native Z-mount 50mm f/1.8 S lenses, I tried stopping the Jupe down to f/22 to see if it can generate decent diffraction stars. It can't.
View attachment 1651545

Oh well. Thanks for looking and apologies for making you endure these mundane images. One more day left for me to try to make a decent Week 50 image with the Jupiter-8. Fingers crossed.
Interesting bokeh balls on that lens.

<snip>
Gordon: that sounds like a lot of work . . .!
Normally it wouldn't be, but this last year... it's a chore.

Gordon, I'm not sure any of the organizations has ever received such a clean, orderly set of duds like you show here. I'm sure they will be doubly grateful.
Thanks Harry - I never donate anything that's worn out. If it's not something I would be able to still wear or use, it gets re-used as rags/ recycled/ trashed.

Real Name
Chris
Late again ... :(

Here's a shot from the decorated tunnel during this morning's train ride with Royce:

Real Name
Chris
This is called Chuck Slough, no idea who Chuck was. It's just down a hill a bit from our house. Mari was driving, and I asked her to slow down so I could take a photo, she loves hearing this. Got the window down and snapped this one. There is no shoulder on the road there, and it's not a good place to stop since people come flying down the hill. During summer it's got quite a bit more water in it.View attachment 1651494
I think this is a really wonderful photograph Rick. The monochrome suits that world. And the meandering pattern of the flowing water cuts into the picture and lets us know the dimension of the place.

And it looks cold.

More of the skyline and Kensington High Street in the evening.
Sunset is 1552 and sunrise 0800, so not much daylight at the moment.
Kensington Palace in the first picture had some nice star light effects.
Probably a feature of the lens.
Experts would know.

View attachment 1651495View attachment 1651496View attachment 1651497View attachment 1651498
The light-stars are there because you are shooting at f/22, and there is an edge effect to the iris of the lens.They suit the picture. It's great to see scenes from your world Morth. It's been in the news lately.

After getting mighty tired of the rain I decided that well, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em and stepped out on the deck to capture a view:

View attachment 1651499
Beautifully

I also found this on the sd card.
:)
View attachment 1651500
Peppa Pig!!

Snow to start the early morning with, followed by some great fog. Here are 3 that work for me:

1. Saw this little mailbox on a stump that was resprouting; I guess Elves need mail too!

View attachment 1651510

2. The Peter Basoa Stage in East City Park--a busy and vibrant place most of the year. Fog adds another layer of meaning to the place.

View attachment 1651511

3. Some gnarly old trees in East City Park. Mystical and mysterious. If the fog lasts I may have to go out at night.

View attachment 1651512
The root word for both mystical and mysterious is myst, right?

I love photographed fog! It's like warped space, because the close becomes distant. The shapes in the trees in #3 really bolster the effect! The mailbox is funny.

Quite a few shots taken, today, we we're off at my sister-in-law's for her birthday, for coffee and cake. Then back home, were I prepared dinner (I like to do the cooking, especially on the weekends when there's more time - we usually don't cook for dinner during week-days). I'll post a few more portraits in the bucket.

These caught my eye:

Mini-Bananas

View attachment 1651513

Mayla, her cousin, and his grandfather with a kite

View attachment 1651514

Preparing dinner - easy going, this time. While the main course, the self made pizza, was in the oven, and with the beet salad already prepared (children like that a lot), this is the finish for the green salad with a bit of red pepper: diced beacon and mushrooms, sautéed with a small shallot and a bit of garlic and a twist of wine. That went on top of the salad.
The glass on the left is to keep the cook happy - we had this one for dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore we've got to know years ago and always keep in stock (http://www.marcomosconi.it/vini/)

Wine, salad, beacon and mushrooms

View attachment 1651515
I guess the fact that I absolutely love beet salad says a lot about my personality!

If you find just the right Valpolicella, it's so similar (but easier to drink) than Amarone. Either one would complement beets so well. Thanks for a photographic glimpse into your afternoon.

I was inside on another gloomy day printing both cover photo and inside text for forty-five 5x7 folding Christmas cards. A few of us in the family keep the tradition alive, but after the hours I put in today I sometimes wonder why. Tomorrow is "address time" which will require several more hours.

So my shooting was rushed and uninspired. So, instead I returned to a shot I had taken earlier in the week and reworked it substantially .... but still a pretty nondescript effort. I call it "Danger Lurking," since the black and white conversion somehow makes the whole thing a bit ominous.View attachment 1651529
Like a big spill lurking right around the corner! The textures in this photograph are fun to explore.

Fresh snow today. I'm learning a lot this week. My 50 f1.8 G is very sharp on the Z6 with FTZ. I was thinking of getting the S version of the 50 but I've decided that my G version on the FTZ is great for the few times I want to use this focal length and need the faster glass. So, this challenge has been good for my pocketbook.View attachment 1651536
This is such a quintessential Winter picture Terri. Cold and familiar.

View attachment 1651540
Just the opposite of cold and familiar the gas flames and reflections look etherial.

View attachment 1651544

View attachment 1651545

Hey Andy, I believe they call those comet shaped bokey "character". ;) Anyway, I like the wood coming right out of the blur.

In the second one, the stars are there, they are just tiny. Try it with the light source much further away.
View attachment 1651546
You take a lot better care of your dontaed clothing than I do. The geometry of stacks brings a very painterly quality to this picture.

Finally have some time to look at everyone else's photos.....

Rick -- brr, that slough looks cold and definitely this is a winter scene! I'll bet it's pretty in the spring...... Nice capture of the natural patterns of the slough, the ice, the trees...

Morty -- the streets of London are beautiful at night -- love the lights! Love those "stars," too, produced by that lens!

Nick -- Why, of course elves have mailboxes! :D. That fog sure adds an air of mystery to everything, doesn't it? Eerie.....

Roland -- Bananas times two! Like this reflection! That salad looks really good. I don't think I've ever had beet salad. Looks as though I've been missing something.

Harry -- Interesting and artistic shot of paper towels and holder! The shadows, light and texture really make this image.

Terri -- Another chilly winter scene, but the snow is so pretty against the green of the bushes!

Jim -- That fire looks so warm, colorful and definitely just the thing on a cold winter's night!

Andy -- I've never seen bokeh balls with eyelashes before -- LOL!! That's really cool!

Gordon -- You are a lot, lot neater than I am when it comes to preparing clothing for giveaway to a charity. I usually just toss everything willy-nilly into large clear trash bags and call it a day! Like you, though, I am careful to be sure that the items are clean and that they are actually in good shape and would be useful and usable for someone else.

Chris -- Well, that was a colorful train ride! :).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom