Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 6 (14 Dec)

This is called Chuck Slough, no idea who Chuck was. It's just down a hill a bit from our house. Mari was driving, and I asked her to slow down so I could take a photo, she loves hearing this. Got the window down and snapped this one. There is no shoulder on the road there, and it's not a good place to stop since people come flying down the hill. During summer it's got quite a bit more water in it.
chucksslough-12-14-19.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After getting mighty tired of the rain I decided that well, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em and stepped out on the deck to capture a view:

DSC00853_DxO.jpg

This is called Chuck Slough, no idea who Chuck was. It's just down a hill a bit from our house. Mari was driving, and I asked her to slow down so I could take a photo, she loves hearing this. Got the window down and snapped this one. There is no shoulder on the road there, and it's not a good place to stop since people come flying down the hill. During summer it's got quite a bit more water in it. View attachment 1651494
For a short moment I thought this was a colored picture - it would not look that different!

I like the view, well done! Thanks for showing!

Snow to start the early morning with, followed by some great fog. Here are 3 that work for me:

1. Saw this little mailbox on a stump that was resprouting; I guess Elves need mail too!

Fifty6006_DxO.jpg

2. The Peter Basoa Stage in East City Park--a busy and vibrant place most of the year. Fog adds another layer of meaning to the place.

Fifty6012_Nik_DxO.jpg

3. Some gnarly old trees in East City Park. Mystical and mysterious. If the fog lasts I may have to go out at night.

Fifty6013_DxO.jpg

Quite a few shots taken, today, we we're off at my sister-in-law's for her birthday, for coffee and cake. Then back home, were I prepared dinner (I like to do the cooking, especially on the weekends when there's more time - we usually don't cook for dinner during week-days). I'll post a few more portraits in the bucket.

These caught my eye:

Mini-Bananas

Z07_6388_v1.JPG

Mayla, her cousin, and his grandfather with a kite

Z07_6401_v1.JPG

Preparing dinner - easy going, this time. While the main course, the self made pizza, was in the oven, and with the beet salad already prepared (children like that a lot), this is the finish for the green salad with a bit of red pepper: diced beacon and mushrooms, sautéed with a small shallot and a bit of garlic and a twist of wine. That went on top of the salad.
The glass on the left is to keep the cook happy - we had this one for dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore we've got to know years ago and always keep in stock (http://www.marcomosconi.it/vini/)

Wine, salad, beacon and mushrooms

Z07_6441_v1.JPG

Snow to start the early morning with, followed by some great fog. Here are 3 that work for me:

1. Saw this little mailbox on a stump that was resprouting; I guess Elves need mail too!

View attachment 1651510

2. The Peter Basoa Stage in East City Park--a busy and vibrant place most of the year. Fog adds another layer of meaning to the place.

View attachment 1651511

3. Some gnarly old trees in East City Park. Mystical and mysterious. If the fog lasts I may have to go out at night.

View attachment 1651512
Oh these are strong! Especially the second, with its framing fitting the mood, and the last strong, bold, well saturaded tree picture!

More of the skyline and Kensington High Street in the evening.
Sunset is 1552 and sunrise 0800, so not much daylight at the moment.
Kensington Palace in the first picture had some nice star light effects.
Probably a feature of the lens.
Experts would know.
Very nice photography, Morty. The stars are a function of the lens and the f/22 stop you used on the shot.....but I suspect you know that. I like that shot and the last a lot.
After getting mighty tired of the rain I decided that well, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em and stepped out on the deck to capture a view:
Gosh that looks familiar, Connie. Maybe we'll need a 30/30 meme to offset this weather.
This is called Chuck Slough, no idea who Chuck was. It's just down a hill a bit from our house. Mari was driving, and I asked her to slow down so I could take a photo, she loves hearing this. Got the window down and snapped this one. There is no shoulder on the road there, and it's not a good place to stop since people come flying down the hill. During summer it's got quite a bit more water in it.
Makes Idaho look a bit like the godforsaken place we in the East tend to view it as, Rick. But with a little color imagined in like late Spring, I'm sure it is absolutely beautiful.

Some really interesting shots here, Nick. The mailbox does suggest elves, doesn't it. Are the early ferns common this time of year? I especially like #2. There is something about an abandoned stage (even if due to the season and weather) that strikes a melancholy chord in me ..... and the fog just emphasizes that feeling. Thanks for the viewing.

Quite a few shots taken, today, we we're off at my sister-in-law's for her birthday, for coffee and cake. Then back home, were I prepared dinner (I like to do the cooking, especially on the weekends when there's more time - we usually don't cook for dinner during week-days). I'll post a few more portraits in the bucket.

Myla, her cousin, and his grandfather with a kite

Preparing dinner - easy going, this time. While the main course, the self made pizza, was in the oven, and with the beet salad already prepared (children like that a lot), this is the finish for the green salad with a bit of red pepper: diced beacon and mushrooms, sautéed with a small shallot and a bit of garlic and twist of wine that went on top of the salad.​
The glass on the left is to keep the cook happy - we had this one for dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore we've got to know years ago and always keep in stock (http://www.marcomosconi.it/vini/)

Wine, salad, beacon and mushrooms
Man, your cooking shots always make this poor old bachelor's saliva run, Roland. Sounds like a wonderful dinner. The kite-flying shot reminds me of my years with two small ones, who never seemed able to understand why we couldn't fly kites when there was no wind.:D

I was inside on another gloomy day printing both cover photo and inside text for forty-five 5x7 folding Christmas cards. A few of us in the family keep the tradition alive, but after the hours I put in today I sometimes wonder why. Tomorrow is "address time" which will require several more hours.

So my shooting was rushed and uninspired. So, instead I returned to a shot I had taken earlier in the week and reworked it substantially .... but still a pretty nondescript effort. I call it "Danger Lurking," since the black and white conversion somehow makes the whole thing a bit ominous.
Day 6_12-8-2019_Danger Lurking behind the r.JPG

Some really interesting shots here, Nick. The mailbox does suggest elves, doesn't it. Are the early ferns common this time of year? I especially like #2. There is something about an abandoned stage (even if due to the season and weather) that strikes a melancholy chord in me ..... and the fog just emphasizes that feeling. Thanks for the viewing.
So true, can't say it that good, but you describe my feelings, exactly.

Man, your cooking shots always make this poor old bachelor's saliva run, Roland. Sounds like a wonderful dinner. The kite-flying shot reminds me of my years with two small ones, who never seemed able to understand why we couldn't fly kites when there was no wind.:D
Hmm... I need to photograph my cooking more often, then. Even if it is just a somehow simple family dinner, salads and pizza. But then, I like that bit of an extra by cooking shrooms... I really like to do the cooking when having more time and being able to come up with something more special - and to invite guests. My wife keeps all the recipes she find in magazines, in the web, printed stuff... and seldom has the time to try one out. On weekends, I try some...

I was inside on another gloomy day printing both cover photo and inside text for forty-five 5x7 folding Christmas cards. A few of us in the family keep the tradition alive, but after the hours I put in today I sometimes wonder why. Tomorrow is "address time" which will require several more hours.

So my shooting was rushed and uninspired. So, instead I returned to a shot I had taken earlier in the week and reworked it substantially .... but still a pretty nondescript effort. I call it "Danger Lurking," since the black and white conversion somehow makes the whole thing a bit ominous. View attachment 1651529
Good you keep up the tradition, people will have a smile on their faces when getting mail!

Very nice photography, Morty. The stars are a function of the lens and the f/22 stop you used on the shot.....but I suspect you know that. I like that shot and the last a lot.

Gosh that looks familiar, Connie. Maybe we'll need a 30/30 meme to offset this weather.

Makes Idaho look a bit like the godforsaken place we in the East tend to view it as, Rick. But with a little color imagined in like late Spring, I'm sure it is absolutely beautiful.
You just keep everyone thinking of Idaho as a Godforsaken place. All the people moving here are changing it dramatically!!

Fresh snow today. I'm learning a lot this week. My 50 f1.8 G is very sharp on the Z6 with FTZ. I was thinking of getting the S version of the 50 but I've decided that my G version on the FTZ is great for the few times I want to use this focal length and need the faster glass. So, this challenge has been good for my pocketbook.
_DSC3852.jpg

We love it like that, it keeps the heathens out :D Actually, Chuck Slough is a great place to fish, and it runs into the fabulously gorgeous Lake Pend Oreille.

So my shooting was rushed and uninspired. So, instead I returned to a shot I had taken earlier in the week and reworked it substantially .... but still a pretty nondescript effort. I call it "Danger Lurking," since the black and white conversion somehow makes the whole thing a bit ominous. View attachment 1651529

You are the master of setting the mood and balancing shadows and textures!

Latest threads

Top Bottom