Share 2019 - 50/50 Day 7 (15 Dec)

Far too busy today but managed to get a few pictures.
I may add a couple more later this evening.
That was a very fun week and I loved playing with this lens.
I will definitely see how my other series E lenses perform.
They are more rewarding than the AF lenses. (this is just a hobby for me).
I wished the D7200 had a full pull out articulated screen (similar to my Sony A5000 and old MiniDV camcorders).
I am not sure the Series E lenses would work with the D5X00 series and the D500 is a bit out of my range.
View attachment 1651577
Still can't believe how nice the star effect of the lens can be.
It capture reflection quite well too.
View attachment 1651578
The next picture is of the Hurlingham club where the rules of Polo were published. Croquet was also very central to the club.
There is a 30-year membership waiting list at the moment.
It has a rich history.
View attachment 1651579
And then it started to rain...View attachment 1651580
Good series for the week IMHO. I'm liking that first shot.

Today was the first in several days that we haven't had rain so I went outdoors to see if I could find anything interesting..... Not really, but it's got some seasonal appeal, I suppose. The wind kept blowing, occasionally gusting at just the wrong times, which didn't help matters any!

View attachment 1651581

I looked more closely at the leaves and realized that these are not Holly berries, as I'd originally thought! Whatever they are they're nice and red for the holiday season, anyway...... I also decided I wasn't all that happy with the image above, so went outside again and....um....liberated a few from their bush and brought them into the house for closer examination by the camera and me:

View attachment 1651603
'Tis the season for greens and reds. Nicely done on the second shot.

Christmas cookie production has begun at my house. Here is the result of my wife and daughter's afternoon of work. This is a 3-image stack, with portions of each layer manually masked to keep the backsplash blurry but the cookies sharp (or at least as sharp as the Jupiter-8 can manage):
View attachment 1651611
Nice work with the stacking. The cookies look delicious!

First one from my midday walk, pushing the buggy. We got many trees, younger and elder, around the fringe area of the village. Many apples, but others as well.
Number 2 and 3 were taken at home, using the 50/1.2 again for a change.

Trees 'n shed

View attachment 1651610

Experienced drinking bottle
(Mayla's daily companion, showing the years of beating)

View attachment 1651608
Nikon 50mm 1:1.2 lens @ f/1.2

I need a flower shot

View attachment 1651609
Nikon 50mm 1:1.2 lens @ f/1.2​
Very nice, Roland. I really like the orchard.

2 year old grand daughter came over to visit and give her parents a chance to get some furniture moved. She likes riding her tricycle around. I recently put new grips and the bell on the trike. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my kids, I was off shore working. This kid thing is newView attachment 1651621View attachment 1651622, and I'll admit quite a bit of fun. She's an interesting little character.
Nice photos of a cute kid, although I'd keep an eye out - that second shot looks like mischief brewing.

Looks like I am nearly the last to post a photo here .... but the cards are done! Fortunately the sun allowed another shadow shot .... this time of a metal lamp that I have abandoned for now and is just sitting in storage, albeit in a storage area with a window. Thought the various angles, shapes, shadows, and shade densities made for an interesting shot.

View attachment 1651623

Kinda sad the week is over already, but it has been fun seeing all the '50's in action. Now to visit.
Interesting with the light and shadow work this week Harry.

Went out about an hour before sunset to try a few spots I had thought I could grab some different shots of the mountains. Still too much ground clutter, even standing on door sill-plate. Single shot, cropped to 16:9. (Two-image pano stitch of a different set of hills is in the bucket, no way to crop the fence out, didn't like the way it turned out.)
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This afternoon I spent some time walking around the Virginia Tech campus, then attended a performance of Handel's "Messiah" at the Moss Arts Center main auditorium. My wife was singing in the chorus.

1. Hanging out at the War Memorial
JZ6_10432.jpg

2. The Bent of Tau Beta Pi
JZ6_10452.jpg

3. Messiah performance
JZ6_10592.jpg

So, looks like it's a wrap, folks! Well, it will be when Chris comes along...... It was fun and certainly at times a bit challenging being restricted to (in my case) just one lens, and 50mm at that, a focal length I really don't use much at all. Only reason I bought it is because it is a macro lens and sometimes one needs and wants a shorter macro lens for easier maneuverability.....my 90mm macro is still my favorite, though. Also challenging to have to shoot something every day, rather than just picking up the camera when I'm in the mood for it or have something in particular in mind to shoot....

Morty -- More lovely and interesting London at night! That second shot with the colorful water reflections and the stars on the bannister is especially nice -- wow!

Andy -- Mmm, cookies!! Those are cute, too! Bet they taste good!

Roland -- Yep, that water bottle looks as though it's had a busy and hard life! Those flowers are a pretty color -- there's something really nice about having flowers around the house, isn't there?

Morty again -- Yes, the difference between those two cameras and how they handle that lens is very interesting!

Rick -- Your granddaughter is cute and that expression in the second photo.....oh, boy, watch out!!! Love that hat, too!

Harry -- Isn't it interesting how the thoughtful use of light and shadow can make even the mundane seem interesting and intriguing?

Gordon -- What a lovely view and vista you have! Very peaceful and relaxing....

Terri -- I'm sorry that you are not feeling well today -- not a good time of year to be sick! I hope you'll be feeling much better tomorrow or the next day! Glad to hear that Greg is doing a good job of looking after you!! :)

Jim -- The Virginia Tech campus looks really nice; I've never been there even though of course I've driven on I-81 and have seen signs and such.... "The Messiah" is one of my favorite Christmastime music traditions. Every year I love to listen to my album of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing it. I was a little girl when I first was introduced to it when my parents took me to a local production. That music is just timeless!

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Dark Stair*

* compare to this one.

Real Name
Chris
Far too busy today but managed to get a few pictures.
I may add a couple more later this evening.
That was a very fun week and I loved playing with this lens.
I will definitely see how my other series E lenses perform.
They are more rewarding than the AF lenses. (this is just a hobby for me).
I wished the D7200 had a full pull out articulated screen (similar to my Sony A5000 and old MiniDV camcorders).
I am not sure the Series E lenses would work with the D5X00 series and the D500 is a bit out of my range.
View attachment 1651577
Still can't believe how nice the star effect of the lens can be.
It capture reflection quite well too.
View attachment 1651578
The next picture is of the Hurlingham club where the rules of Polo were published. Croquet was also very central to the club.
There is a 30-year membership waiting list at the moment.
It has a rich history.
View attachment 1651579
And then it started to rain...View attachment 1651580
Your street level work is really good stuff Morty! The 50 E series and D7200 seem to be a good combo, especially for these long exposure night photos. Plus it all looked like so much fun!

2 year old grand daughter came over to visit and give her parents a chance to get some furniture moved. She likes riding her tricycle around. I recently put new grips and the bell on the trike. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my kids, I was off shore working. This kid thing is newView attachment 1651621View attachment 1651622, and I'll admit quite a bit of fun. She's an interesting little character.
What a cutie! Her expression in the second picture is a keeper!

Looks like I am nearly the last to post a photo here .... but the cards are done! Fortunately the sun allowed another shadow shot .... this time of a metal lamp that I have abandoned for now and is just sitting in storage, albeit in a storage area with a window. Thought the various angles, shapes, shadows, and shade densities made for an interesting shot.

View attachment 1651623

Kinda sad the week is over already, but it has been fun seeing all the '50's in action. Now to visit.
I'm kinda sad too, but also excited to put something other than the old 50 on my camera. I like your found abstract - the reflected arrow in the large round thing in the bottom half is just a taste. This is a cool picture.

Went out about an hour before sunset to try a few spots I had thought I could grab some different shots of the mountains. Still too much ground clutter, even standing on door sill-plate. Single shot, cropped to 16:9. (Two-image pano stitch of a different set of hills is in the bucket, no way to crop the fence out, didn't like the way it turned out.)
View attachment 1651624
The scenery from your home Gordon, is like no other place on earth! I love it. Plus it proves that, if you want a high sky-to-land ratio, you can't do much better than Arizona.

This afternoon I spent some time walking around the Virginia Tech campus, then attended a performance of Handel's "Messiah" at the Moss Arts Center main auditorium. My wife was singing in the chorus.

1. Hanging out at the War Memorial
View attachment 1651627

2. The Bent of Tau Beta Pi
View attachment 1651628

3. Messiah performance
View attachment 1651629
The architectural and performance shots are well made and fun to look at, but the engineering symbol really catches my eye! I saw it every day, as I had to walk through the College of Engineering to get to the Chemistry building. Back then, the word "nerd" did not have the fun-loving, positive connotation that it does now.

Thanks for commenting Connie and Chris.

Attentive music aficionados will notice something a bit unusual in the picture of the Messiah performers.

Last edited:
A day late, but . . .

The last of our Bosc pears gave their all for a yummy pear-vanilla Galette last night.

1. Ready for the oven

2. 35 minutes later.

I just thought I would compare the 50mm Series E on the D7200 and mounted onthe Sony A5000.
Manual on the A5000 but I used the settings from the D7200
1st D7200
View attachment 1651617

A5000 just now (but it started to rain) - all manual same settings
View attachment 1651618
Interesting comparison. I can see definite differences but don't know whether to attribute them to the cameras or the rain.

She's a real cutie, Rick. You caught a couple of great poses.

Morty: You have established yourself as the king of nighttime urban landscapes. Most inspirational.
Connie: What ever they are they are sure bold and bright and well shot,
Roland: Nice place to be.
Andy: COOKIES!!!!!
Rick: She's got you where she wants you, with that heart melting smile! What a cutie.
Harry: Great study in shapes and shadows.
Jim: I missed out on our Messiah performance for the 3rd year in a row. For the life of me I can't see the "oddity". Like Commie, there is always the stereo. Our family has a tradition of the first person up on Christmas morning playing the Hallelujah Chorus very, very loudly (on the stereo) to wake up the family and start the gift exchange.
Gordon: Blue sky and more blue sky!
Chris: Killer shot, killer title!

Last edited:
Today was the first in several days that we haven't had rain so I went outdoors to see if I could find anything interesting..... Not really, but it's got some seasonal appeal, I suppose. The wind kept blowing, occasionally gusting at just the wrong times, which didn't help matters any!

View attachment 1651581

I looked more closely at the leaves and realized that these are not Holly berries, as I'd originally thought! Whatever they are they're nice and red for the holiday season, anyway...... I also decided I wasn't all that happy with the image above, so went outside again and....um....liberated a few from their bush and brought them into the house for closer examination by the camera and me:

View attachment 1651603
Good splash of red and green for the holidays.

Chris, that "Dark Stair" in color with the lighted Christmas tree is outstanding! Love it!

Nick, that Pear-Vanilla Galette looks absolutely delicious! Mmmm.......

Jim, I went back and looked again at the photo of the "Messiah" group and for the life of me can't figure out what is different.....other than the group was not wearing choir robes and such, which I remember from performances I saw as a child. As Chris mentions, maybe it is the kettle drums? Somehow I don't recall their presence at any performances I've attended or seen on television!
Nick, what a fun and cool tradition to play the 'Hallelujah Chorus first thing on Christmas morning! LOL! THAT would wake everyone up in a hurry!

I need my coffee, but I think I see a missing instrument or 2, and a woman conductor.
Kettle drums?
Jim, looked like a great day for a walk. I can't spot the oddity in your orchestra photo.
Nick, great use of the pears, ours all go to the deer and moose.
Jim, I went back and looked again at the photo of the "Messiah" group and for the life of me can't figure out what is different.....other than the group was not wearing choir robes and such, which I remember from performances I saw as a child. As Chris mentions, maybe it is the kettle drums? Somehow I don't recall their presence at any performances I've attended or seen on television!
Agreed, the female conductor is a bit unusual, but not what I was getting at.

Hint: the Messiah calls for a traditional complement of four soloists: soprano, alto, tenor, and bass.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom