Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 22

Real Name
Andy
Just a question to clear things up for me... are you planning on using the e-tube for each shot or simply when it is called for?
Thanks for your thoughts and insights, David. In answer to your question, I plan to use the extension tube just when the subject requires the reduced working distance it allows. In truth, I have seldom used the tube over the years, and one of my goals this month is to venture outside my comfort zone with this kit. As you probably know, the 55 Micro already focuses to a magnification of 1:2, and that was sufficiently close for the two images I’ve posted so far.

Real Name
Andy
3. Stamen and Red Petals in front of the Wyndham Indianapolis West
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As Nick said: f/16 is helpful, and perfect here.

What I have to add: This is about as perfectly exposed, as possible. I often see digital images with large red parts being rendered terrible, as the red channel over-saturates quickly in these circumstances. You did well to take care of that!

Real Name
Andy
That dark background and the dof make the flower pop. The tiny hairs on the stamens have never heard about lens diffraction :D
Super shot and brilliant color and detail. Well done!
Nicely done, and picture perfect framing. Love the directional nature of the image.
As Nick said: f/16 is helpful, and perfect here.

What I have to add: This is about as perfectly exposed, as possible. I often see digital images with large red parts being rendered terrible, as the red channel over-saturates quickly in these circumstances. You did well to take care of that!
Thanks for the views and comments, Nick, Paul, Wade, and Roland. This image was a bit boring SOOC and required significant manipulation in post to make it more interesting. I was trying not to overprocess it and am pleased you approve of the result.

Nice work on Day 3 as well Andy. The background is well chosen to diminish any competition for attention with your subject and you have handled the exposure nicely.

Real Name
Andy
Nice work on Day 3 as well Andy. The background is well chosen to diminish any competition for attention with your subject and you have handled the exposure nicely.
Thanks, David. I had limited time to find opportunities yesterday and was lucky to find this subject. The background was actually quite imperfect, but darkening it seemed to help.

Real Name
Andy
4. Dollar on Ash
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This kind of coin and species of wood are both getting scarce.

1922, 3 years to go for a century. 'Century break'is when you score 100 points or more at snooker, in one visit at the table. Which brings me back to your picture and ash: some of my cues are made of ash, one of the two traditionally used woods for snooker cues, and the way more popular one. Maple being the minority.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Nice change of pace, any thoughts regarding a greyscale conversion too? I do like this color tone though.

Real Name
Andy
Nice change of pace, any thoughts regarding a greyscale conversion too? I do like this color tone though.
Good idea. My intent was to apply warm incandescent light for a softer effect but I might have missed the mark. A B&W conversion could be just the ticket. I presume it would be most appropriate to post a re-working of this image in the "bucket" right?

Real Name
Chris
Your hybiscus is superb Andy! Each and every hair in the flower's substructure is revealed and defined.

The coin at an angle shot is a bit more difficult. You need to accomodate a depth of focus from the near to the far edge of the coin - and no further. At this angle. it looks like f/22 or smaller to me. Try increasing your altitude, so you look more downward on the coin, and increasing your f-number on the lens.

Bring your color temperature way up to keep the colors you see. But monochrome could work too.

'Tis razor thin! As a piece of art, your pic works well... shooting it as a document to illustrate the detail of the coin is something different again. Chris has the tips.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom