Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

Real Name
Chris
24. South Elgin Falls
View attachment 1648747
No time or patience to use a tripod for a long exposure today, so this is a stack of 6 images blended as lightening layers in Photoshop to give the appearance of soft, white water flowing over our only "pseudo-natural" local waterfall. Otherwise, only modest Lightroom adjustments and a split toned B&W conversion.
You faked it well Andy! Computationally enhanced time depth has been a grail of mine for nearly 5 decades now.Your expertise contains so many lessons - stacking. averaging, - all that image combination stuff is where digital imaging is leading. Whether individually processed, or fully animated, photography needs to effectively capture the forth dimension to remain relevant. This picture has got it, and bravo!

24. South Elgin Falls
View attachment 1648747
No time or patience to use a tripod for a long exposure today, so this is a stack of 6 images blended as lightening layers in Photoshop to give the appearance of soft, white water flowing over our only "pseudo-natural" local waterfall. Otherwise, only modest Lightroom adjustments and a split toned B&W conversion.
Interesting technique. I wouldn't have thought of stacking images to give that effect. Thanks for the explanation.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
24. South Elgin Falls
View attachment 1648747
Love the unique post work to make this work. Bravo.

Real Name
Andy
You faked it well Andy! Computationally enhanced time depth has been a grail of mine for nearly 5 decades now.Your expertise contains so many lessons - stacking. averaging, - all that image combination stuff is where digital imaging is leading. Whether individually processed, or fully animated, photography needs to effectively capture the forth dimension to remain relevant. This picture has got it, and bravo!
Thanks, Chris. Though, as I mentioned above, technical skill in post is sometimes no more than a remedy for in-camera imperfections.

Real Name
Andy
Interesting technique. I wouldn't have thought of stacking images to give that effect. Thanks for the explanation.
It is actually not difficult - as soon as I realized the capture was not what I was hoping for, I simply shot a few more frames knowing I would fix it in post.
Back in my slide days I often occasionally did in-camera overlaps to get the same effect on water--needed a stout tripod though.
Now that takes skill and planning!
Love the unique post work to make this work. Bravo.
Thanks, Wade.

Real Name
Andy
25. Portrait of an Elk
Octoberfest-25.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Who says you can't shoot wildlife with a 55? This fellow lives with a small herd in a large fenced off section of a forest preserve located in Arlington Heights, just adjacent to a town appropriately named Elk Grove Village. I used to frequent the running loop when I worked nearby some years ago. Today, I dropped by just before sunset, knowing that they'd be out for their evening graze. This bull approached the fence in hopes that I would ignore the "Please Do Not Feed Elk" signs and obliged me with this pose. A few more from today are in the bucket.

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
25. Portrait of an Elk
View attachment 1648801
Who says you can't shoot wildlife with a 55? This fellow lives with a small herd in a large fenced off section of a forest preserve located in Arlington Heights, just adjacent to a town appropriately named Elk Grove Village. I used to frequent the running loop when I worked nearby some years ago. Today, I dropped by just before sunset, knowing that they'd be out for their evening graze. This bull approached the fence in hopes that I would ignore the "Please Do Not Feed Elk" signs and obliged me with this pose. A few more from today are in the bucket.
I enjoyed your bucket images, and this keeper here. Wow, up close and personal.

Nice work on the waterfall, Andy. Good to be able to find a work around even when you weren't able to use a tripod. I'm guessing that Elgin is the town which was home to the watch company of the same name many years ago.
Great portrait of the elk. I'm glad for your sake that there was a fence between the two of you.

Real Name
Andy
26. Bouncing Water Drops

Leaf on a glass patio table, rainfall was being filtered by the overhanging maple tree. Single strobe camera right. In the absence of any precise triggering mechanism, I simply made numerous exposures hoping to get lucky with a bounce. Stopped shooting when I was tired of getting wet (and wondering if the rain was going to short out my strobe)! This was one of the handful that had droplets in the air.

Real Name
Chris
25. Portrait of an Elk
View attachment 1648801
Wow - what a great opportunity that place provides. There is a picture in the bucket that looks like it might be a portrait of me on a good day. I don't even need to say which one it is!

Thanks for your patience and persistence, Andy. Water and reflections are two photographic themes which really interest me- you have done a great job with this leaf.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Those water highlight reflections from your strobe add so much, well done. Great timing with strobe on drop/bounce.

26. Bouncing Water Drops
View attachment 1648874
Leaf on a glass patio table, rainfall was being filtered by the overhanging maple tree. Single strobe camera right. In the absence of any precise triggering mechanism, I simply made numerous exposures hoping to get lucky with a bounce. Stopped shooting when I was tired of getting wet (and wondering if the rain was going to short out my strobe)! This was one of the handful that had droplets in the air.
Came out very well. Glad you stuck with it.

Real Name
Andy
27. Black Knight
Octoberfest-27.jpg

Two off-camera strobes. Main light was at 1/16 power approximately 12 inches, camera right, backlighting the chess piece at an angle, hence the shadow on the left side of the frame. Fill light was at 1/128 power handheld approximately 4 inches directly above the camera, but feathered to the top of the chess piece to bring out detail without casting another shadow. And yes, my sensor appears to be dirty again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom