Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

Cute kids - well shot. In this world where it seems that almost everyone has a telephone which is capable of taking good pictures, I'm hopeful that quality photographs will still have a long lifespan.

Real Name
Andy
13. Eye of the Dog
Octoberfest-13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At some point in Octoberfest, I figured I would end up making a dog photograph. Faithful Frankie was not the most willing participant in this, a 1:1 magnification of his eye. Shot handheld with the PK-13 tube and a very bright work lamp.

Real Name
Paul
13. Eye of the Dog
View attachment 1648087
At some point in Octoberfest, I figured I would end up making a dog photograph. Faithful Frankie was not the most willing participant in this, a 1:1 magnification of his eye. Shot handheld with the PK-13 tube and a very bright work lamp.
Great close up and a patient subject to be able to pull that off. Well done!

13. Eye of the Dog
View attachment 1648087
Wow! Now that's close. Easy with a tired cat, but I know dogs must get tired, too, every now and then. But this eye does NOT look too tired, doesn't it? Great model, was he paid? I hope so!!

Real Name
Andy
The biggest thing is the BW here - as yellow on brown didn't win me on contrast, in the bucket I first was, I'm positively surprised you went BW - I didn't think of it.

But I like it, it was the right choice, you got another very good image here I enjoy looking at! Well done!
Never heard of star fruit, but the shot is fabulous.
Nice shot, and glad to see a near absolute black area on your conversion, I tend to like more contrast and seeing that dark dark shadow is right up my alley.
Andy, I am very late reviewing your work since Day 5, and I apologize. In general I can only echo what is evident here .... you have done a series of beautiful "wow" shots .... not a clunker among them. I particularly liked the juxtaposition of dome shapes in 6, the sunstar peeking through the structure in 7, the masterful "glow" of 9, the great color of 10, and the technical skill of 11. Wow, Wow, Wow!
A good job of controlling DOF here, Andy. Stacking the images was certainly worth the effort. I like your b/w conversion as well.

Thanks all for your comments on #11 "Starfruit."

Real Name
Andy
Good the faces aren't all that dark, with that bright a background. And - as there are so many fountains - one of the rare occasions it is allowed to have a thing grow out of someone's head ;)
Andy, nice smiles, caught very naturally. When you get around to it, I'd be interested in seeing what you do with it in the bucket.

ps. Don't forget to edit your thread title to update.
Great moment with good faces, and the background compliments the image and adds to the feel.
Cute kids - well shot. In this world where it seems that almost everyone has a telephone which is capable of taking good pictures, I'm hopeful that quality photographs will still have a long lifespan.
Nice candid shot.
Thanks all for the comments on #12 "Bronco and her Brother"

Real Name
Andy
Great close up and a patient subject to be able to pull that off. Well done!
The portraits are great - I love the watery background. And what a patient pooch you have. My dogs would never sit still for something like that. I am jelly.
It's difficult for me to imagine a pooch sitting still for that type of shot... we done Andy-
Wow! Now that's close. Easy with a tired cat, but I know dogs must get tired, too, every now and then. But this eye does NOT look too tired, doesn't it? Great model, was he paid? I hope so!!
Thanks all for the comments on #13 "Eye of the Dog."

Real Name
Andy
14. Itasca at Sunset
Octoberfest-14.jpg

Just barely keeping up with the pace of one post per day at this point. I squeezed this one in on the way home. I'll pay a proper visit to everyone else's threads soon.

And, what's more to the perspective and lines:
  • The colour tones changing on the glass surfaces of the next most building, from blueish to reddish, and;
  • the fact that the sun star is in front of the left edge, all that;
  • combined with clouds that fit this scenery well.

Real Name
Andy
Good perspective and lines in the shot. Nice star burst too!
And, what's more to the perspective and lines:
  • The colour tones changing on the glass surfaces of the next most building, from blueish to reddish, and;
  • the fact that the sun star is in front of the left edge, all that;
  • combined with clouds that fit this scenery well.
Thanks Paul and Roland!

The eye of the dog is such a great shot---I tried it on my sons dog, who is traveling with us---no go, he is as shifty-eyed as a politician in trouble!
The Itasca shot is made special by the sun star--f/32! Nice catch.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Andy, the building shot is pretty darn nice with the sun pop, and those gorgeous skies. Good quick grab. I feel your pain with daily photos! Hence why we call it challenge I guess.

Real Name
Andy
15. Gourd (or is it a squash?)
Octoberfest-15.jpg

Two off-camera flashes:
1. Key light was a speed light through a 27-inch diffuser about 5-inches to camera right
2. Backlight was a speed light camera left, low and behind the gourd aimed at the tip

Latest threads

Top Bottom