Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

13. Eye of the Dog
At some point in Octoberfest, I figured I would end up making a dog photograph. Faithful Frankie was not the most willing participant in this, a 1:1 magnification of his eye. Shot handheld with the PK-13 tube and a very bright work lamp.
Amazing that you could get a shot this sharp at all. Wonder what he was thinking?

14. Itasca at Sunset
View attachment 1648162
Just barely keeping up with the pace of one post per day at this point. I squeezed this one in on the way home. I'll pay a proper visit to everyone else's threads soon.
Beautiful shot, Andy. Captureing the setting sun with a star via the building is just wonderful. And the building complex itself is attractive and well framed.

15. Gourd (or is it a squash?)

Two off-camera flashes:
1. Key light was a speed light through a 27-inch diffuser about 5-inches to camera right
2. Backlight was a speed light camera left, low and behind the gourd aimed at the tip
Very nice use of the two-flashes, and good eye to spot the two-toned squash (or Gourd?) But as an old man who still had an eye for women ....... why are you publishing risque photos?

Real Name
Andy
16. Evening stroll on the Fox River Trail
Octoberfest-16.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Your thread is a great example of how a lens often dictates nothing more than an angle of view, Andy. I have often said so during these memes and here it is borne out again.
The variety in your last few images is terrific. The city skyline, a tabletop gourd shot and then the river trail are not the sort of set of images which one would expect to have been taken with a macro lens (choose one).

Well played.

Real Name
Andy
17. Partial Appular Eclipse
Octoberfest-17.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
Amazing that you could get a shot this sharp at all. Wonder what he was thinking?
He was thinking: "I really don't know why I put up with this!"
With a 55mm, getting this much magnification meant the lens was inches from his eye. My son was holding him in his arms and reassuring, but we won't be doing this to Frankie the Fox again.

Real Name
Andy
Beautiful shot, Andy. Captureing the setting sun with a star via the building is just wonderful. And the building complex itself is attractive and well framed.
I spent only about twenty minutes at this scene looking for the right backlighting. At first, I thought I would just have the sun nick the edge of a building, but then it formed a star through the corner windows, and I knew I had the keeper shot.
Very nice use of the two-flashes, and good eye to spot the two-toned squash (or Gourd?) But as an old man who still had an eye for women ....... why are you publishing risque photos?
LOL. I truly was not going for that!

Latest threads

Top Bottom