Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

As it is still the 22nd, (I hope this is OK...) I'm updating my image with a crop improved by Wade's advice.

22. Waterfalls and Waves
View attachment 1648599
When I looked at simply cropping a bit off the original frame, my thought was "leave it alone". But with the severe cropping and adopting a vertical frame that you've chosen, it REALLY works. Good going for both you and Wade.

Real Name
Andy
Subjectively the archway and in particular its foreground detail are very nice, Andy. Somehow, though, I keep wanting to see the tree in the background in the rightmost 1/3 of the archway.
Completely agree; that would indeed look nicer. This tiny structure (perhaps covering a 3 foot square footprint) is in a park surrounded by more modern looking structures - every angle allowed them to creep into the frame in one way or another (in fact I eliminated a whitish skyscraper that is in the right third of the archway during post). I suppose I could clone the tree...

Real Name
Andy
When I looked at simply cropping a bit off the original frame, my thought was "leave it alone". But with the severe cropping and adopting a vertical frame that you've chosen, it REALLY works. Good going for both you and Wade.
Wade's suggestion centered around the idea of eliminating the flat and relatively calm water in the tidal pool on the left side of the frame. Once he pointed that out to me, the vertical crop was an easy choice.
I agree. I am a most reluctant cropper!
When taking my time to compose an image, I never plan to crop. In my more "journalistic" images, I often know before I release the shutter that a crop will be necessary. It's a question of mindset - sometimes I'm ready to crop, sometimes, I can't dream of doing it. That is why it is so valuable to me to receive critique that makes me "see" images again, and better.

Real Name
Andy
23. Manhattan
Octoberfest-23.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

23. Manhattan
This is one heck of an image, Andy. I am presuming it was shot from Governors Island. I lived in and around New York City for about twenty years, and I don't believe I've ever seen a stronger image of the Manhattan skyline. Fantastic shot!

ps. I am correcting myself. After taking a look at a map, more likely you shot it from the docks in lower Brooklyn?

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Wow. Manhattan as we've never seen it before. Love the contrast between the slick, expensive, blue skyscrapers and the green, organic, affordable pilings and boardwalk. Two worlds colliding.
Thanks, Nick. There were several narrow piers to choose from, but this one was certainly the most photogenic.

Real Name
Andy
This is one heck of an image, Andy. I am presuming it was shot from Governors Island. I lived in and around New York City for about twenty years, and I don't believe I've ever seen a stronger image of the Manhattan skyline. Fantastic shot!

ps. I am correcting myself. After taking a look at a map, more likely you shot it from the docks in lower Brooklyn?
Thanks, Harry. This was from the North end of Liberty Park in NJ, looking almost directly East to lower Manhattan. Sadly, the two most prominent buildings that would have made you certain of that fact have been gone for 18 years.:cry:

Real Name
Andy
24. South Elgin Falls
Octoberfest-24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No time or patience to use a tripod for a long exposure today, so this is a stack of 6 images blended as lightening layers in Photoshop to give the appearance of soft, white water flowing over our only "pseudo-natural" local waterfall. Otherwise, only modest Lightroom adjustments and a split toned B&W conversion.

Latest threads

Top Bottom