Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

Real Name
Paul
27. Black Knight
View attachment 1648926
Two off-camera strobes. Main light was at 1/16 power approximately 12 inches, camera right, backlighting the chess piece at an angle, hence the shadow on the left side of the frame. Fill light was at 1/128 power handheld approximately 4 inches directly above the camera, but feathered to the top of the chess piece to bring out detail without casting another shadow. And yes, my sensor appears to be dirty again.
Excellent shot! I wish I had a fraction of your expertise with using flashes. I’m woefully inadequate in that area.

Real Name
Andy
28. Good Morning St. Charles
Octoberfest-28.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
28. Good Morning St. Charles
View attachment 1648941
27. Black Knight
View attachment 1648926
Two off-camera strobes. Main light was at 1/16 power approximately 12 inches, camera right, backlighting the chess piece at an angle, hence the shadow on the left side of the frame. Fill light was at 1/128 power handheld approximately 4 inches directly above the camera, but feathered to the top of the chess piece to bring out detail without casting another shadow. And yes, my sensor appears to be dirty again.

Both 27 and 28 are very nice, and a contrast on two different types of lighting, great strobe work on the chess piece. Perfect actually, and the St Charles Illinois night shot has great colors, reflections and an interesting fore and background. Well done!

Real Name
Andy
I enjoyed your bucket images, and this keeper here. Wow, up close and personal.
Those water highlight reflections from your strobe add so much, well done. Great timing with strobe on drop/bounce.
Both 27 and 28 are very nice, and a contrast on two different types of lighting, great strobe work on the chess piece. Perfect actually, and the St Charles Illinois night shot has great colors, reflections and an interesting fore and background. Well done!
Thank you, Wade! Your comments are thoughtful and very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Nice work on the waterfall, Andy. Good to be able to find a work around even when you weren't able to use a tripod. I'm guessing that Elgin is the town which was home to the watch company of the same name many years ago.
Great portrait of the elk. I'm glad for your sake that there was a fence between the two of you.
Yes, the old Elgin Watch Company has been gone for some time, but many folks know the town by that legacy.
Indeed, the fence prevented me from getting a good skewering by that bull elk.
Thanks for your patience and persistence, Andy. Water and reflections are two photographic themes which really interest me- you have done a great job with this leaf.
Thank you, David!

Real Name
Andy
Fantastic shot of the elk, and great that you could get up close!
Came out very well. Glad you stuck with it.
Excellent shot! I wish I had a fraction of your expertise with using flashes. I’m woefully inadequate in that area.
Great composition and colors!
Paul, thank you for your daily recognition of these efforts. Regarding any "inadequacies" you think you have with flash work, I have seen your images and know that you understand light. Anyone with that gift can master flash. I have faith that you could do great things with strobes.

Real Name
Andy
Nice bull. I'm glad you explained your elk-whispering technique! Handsome fella!
How cool, and how patient! A very Zen photo!
Nice one, all those angles and the dark surface just rock!
28: That's the visual equivalent of a hot cup of of strong coffee--gets you going and the first sip gets your heart beating. Nicely done.
Thank you, Nick! I appreciate the "zen" remark but it was more of an exercise in, "how long can I stand this, and I sure hope my old Sunpak flash and cheap Yongnuo triggers don't short out as we all get drenched."

Real Name
Andy
Wow - what a great opportunity that place provides. There is a picture in the bucket that looks like it might be a portrait of me on a good day. I don't even need to say which one it is!
Beautiful picture, and perfect title pairing Andy. Wonderful.
Thanks, Chris! I have had many a day where I felt like I had mud and weeds stuck in my antlers too!

Real Name
Andy
29. Wingspan
Octoberfest-29.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not sure what this sculpture is called, but if it were mine, I'd call it "Wingspan."

Personal note: with a fairly sudden shift to colder weather today and no particular idea of what to shoot, I was quite reluctant to get out. Thanks to all participating in Octoberfest for the accountability and motivation to stay in the daily routine.

Real Name
Chris
"Good Morning St. Charles": Amazing color composition, the way the sunrise sticks to the mobiles. Wowza!

"Wingspan": To tell the truth, my first guess was a granite artificial hip. Very cool picture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom