Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Real Name
Andy
Day 8:
Something different from me. Explanation in the bucket later. But first, a question: Where am I?
It appears you are viewing a piece of cherry on the out-feed table of a planer with extremely worn knives. Immediately prior to making the exposure, you applied Reddi Whip to the torn out grain on the jagged bits of tear-out that went through the machine first.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I was going to guess wood board, but saw the comments and your note, like that image a lot. The 9 image is great because of the contrast between horizontal hill vs vertical weed head, and also the distances between each. Good to see that hill behind in the distance.

Thanks Wade.
Yeah, picking the image for today was tough. I had one that was super sharp but lacked the hill, and was rather boring. And another that focused on the front heads and left the distant ones blurred. Both met their maker.

This one is a lot of fun, Nick.

I often struggle with OOF foreground elements, but in this case, the uniformity of the subject matter helps me to get over the hurdle. Interesting plants and a well-chosen point of view.

Last night I discovered my subject for today. This morning, when the sun would been behind the trees, a thick fog hung around too long. So I went out just after noon and got them front lit, and again at 4 (in the bucket). Hard to do justice to the impact this stand of 5 red maples has, but I do like this one best, even though the southern sky isn't as blue.
Bold, and good for the soul.

Meme10-005.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Footnote:
I'll be leaving early tomorrow (Friday) morning for a week or so on the road. My wife and I are meeting up with our son and we'll be spending a week in the Oregon wine country, starting in Jacksonville and ending up at the Columbia Gorge. While I will have ample opportunities for photos, my ability to post and comment may be limited by several factors, over sampling being one of them. I will catch up as soon as I can.

I'm interested to know if you polarised that last shot at all, Nick? The trees are spectacular and (in case you hadn't), the sky may have benefited from a filter.
Have a great trip and please check in when you can. I'll be interested to hear of the highlights.

Day 9:

First snow, but not enough to be interesting.

I came across a stand of dried Teasel, an introduced noxious weed from Europe. The snow made them look slightly angelic, or at the very least, like blanked-faced humans.

Early settlers used the heads to card (comb) wool.

View attachment 1647754
this:
Yikes... I don't want to think of snow yet. I like the shot though.
Well done, Nick, and I also agree with David on the OOF foreground working well here. And the vertical / horizontal interplay.

Enjoy your trip and return with a great share of images, no problem if you only post them when back.

The red is outstanding. Not only because it's intense, but it is exactly the tone of red that I find to be very pleasing - not too orange, not to blue yet ;) - personal thing, of course!

Thanks gents. No polarizer was used, but the thought crossed my mind. I decided against it since I would have to hand hold it in position--and I'm not that coordinated, especially while handholding the camera and leaning to make the composition work---besides I'm lazy; could have gone home for my tripod!

You wine reports soon.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Red red red red! Great shot, safe travels, I am traveling next few days too, but the iPad will hopefully assist me uploading while traveling.

Hi Nick. Sorry I am so late getting to review your work. The detail that needs to be said has been said at this point, so I'll just throw in a few comments.

6 - After shooting the Bosco pears in the dark, did you at least bring some in to ferment and save on beer money?

7 - The stairs. Look at it this way .... at least with an ISO2500 you don't have to worry about sharpness.

8 - Where am I? Who knows. I haven't visited the bucket.

9 - First snow. They may be weed, but you captured a beautify picture. Well done.

10 - Red maples to put we in New England to shame. My favorite fall tree color, perfectly captured.

Enjoy the trip and the white wines!

Day 11.

Bend Oregon. 7.5 hours of driving, a gorgeous day to drive. Walking back to the hotel and I realized I hadn't shot my picture yet. Fortunately the hotel had a wonderful selection of local beers and cider (Deschutes brewing--Abyss, Black Butte porter is at home here). We grabbed a couple of raspberry ciders and sat out on the patio where they had 6 or so warming fires (about 40F). Great way to end a Friday.

Meme11-005.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 11.

Bend Oregon. 7.5 hours of driving, a gorgeous day to drive. Walking back to the hotel and I realized I hadn't shot my picture yet. Fortunately the hotel had a wonderful selection of local beers and cider (Deschutes brewing--Abyss, Black Butte porter is at home here). We grabbed a couple of raspberry ciders and sat out on the patio where they had 6 or so warming fires (about 40F). Great way to end a Friday.

View attachment 1647956
Oh yes, and the story behind it! Resti g after a day's drive...

Latest threads

Top Bottom