Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Day 4:

Despite what I said in response to David, above, I hadn't planned for a warm toned shot today. However, it is Friday, and by the time 4:30 rolled around I still needed a shot, and a glass or 2 of wine. A ray of the setting sun burst into through the west window and I rushed to get set up (aided by a weak gelled flash).
Happy Friday all! Cheers.

Meme4-019_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For those who need to know, a 2015 Spanish Monastrell from the Jumilla region. Monastrell = Mouvedre. A mere $12 and 91/100 points from Decanter Magazine.

Thanks for the notes on the wine and thanks for another interesting picture Nick.
I can happily live without the top of the bottle and the decanter as there is plenty of information there to tell me what is in the frame - moving your corkscrew slightly closer to the glassware may have made the image a little stronger. Nice mood - well shot.
I hope that you enjoyed the bottle!

Cutting off the tops was a decision I made to go with cutting off all of me except my hand--focus on what's important, the wine. The corkscrew was an "oops"! Originally it was in the shot, but it looked crowded, so I moved it to an edge, but as you see it is awkward.
The wine is excellent.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I am liking your mood from the last few images, oozing warmth I would say, and giving me ideas! Well done.

Hey Nick, finally getting around to seeing your excellent work. Sorry I was so behind earlier. Man, do I like what you are doing!

1. Coffee in early sunlight. For me, your original is best .... I just love the sharp coffee against the soft edges of the cup and the soft, warm, background slats. Leaf immediately says "patio" to me. And since I do the same thing in the morning, I couldn't ask for more in an opening shot. Aaaahhhhhhhh, for sure.

2. Blacktop leaves. Sunny, cheerful leaves make Autumn my favorite time of year.

3. Flaming candelabra. I can hear Willie singing already, and can't imagine a more relaxing setting for listening. And I love the "flame-stars". Well done, sir.

4. Wine. Bottle, decanter, wineglass. Where is the wine press? This soft warm sun setting glow and the pleasure of nursing a glass in it ..... perfect. Very well conceived and executed.

Great to get caught up with you. And thanks to your visits to my thread.

Day 5:
Went to visit an old friend out in the country, the Washington Palouse. On the way home I knew of a place to pull over and attempt to capture the landscape and sky. This WSW of Moscow along to Old Moscow/Pullman hiway. Moscow Mountain in the distance. Barely visible at its base (pays to have good imagination!) is the University of Idaho (right) and City of Moscow in the valley below the wheat stubble.

Meme5-004_Nik_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Day 5:
Went to visit an old friend out in the country, the Washington Palouse. On the way home I knew of a place to pull over and attempt to capture the landscape and sky. This WSW of Moscow along to Old Moscow/Pullman hiway. Moscow Mountain in the distance. Barely visible at its base (pays to have good imagination!) is the University of Idaho (right) and City of Moscow in the valley below the wheat stubble.

View attachment 1647445
Big skies, always like them!

Real Name
Paul
Day 5:

View attachment 1647445
Very dramatic skies Nick! Sweet!

Day 5:
No city kids need apply, eh? Beautiful capture of those ominous clouds.

Latest threads

Top Bottom