Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Nice work on the NAD Nick. Going to dark places can be unnerving and I know what you mean about Wagner. I attended a funeral recently and returned home to listen to music (as is my wont) and found myself drawn to Shostakovich's 5th.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Day 20:

A dark, damp, dreary day. Catching up on accumulated mail, laundry, and the other aftermath of a week on the road. Now it's back to "reality".

I feel unfocused, uninspired, and am sitting here (chair is in the Bucket) listening to a radio show about the late Jessye Norman's best operatic work--lots of Wagner, so it is dark (even if it is all in foreign tongues). Dark, dark, dark . . .

View attachment 1648545
Appreciate your gear, I love my vintage American made Adcom from the late 80s and early 1990s, still kicking, a few have been recapped tweaked for better sonics , but love the old sounds. Nice image.

Day 21:

Paying for the sins of out gluttony (last week's wine and food extravaganza) to night was a simple Indian peasant meal---dal and rice with a dollop of mango chutney. Dal is made from any of many lentils along with tomato, spinach, turmeric, caramelized onions, red and black pepper, cumin and black mustard seeds. Plain white Basmati rice. Comfort food at our house.
Lit by two candles and a dimmed overhead light, I will share the white balanced version in the bucket.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 21:

Paying for the sins of out gluttony (last week's wine and food extravaganza) to night was a simple Indian peasant meal---dal and rice with a dollop of mango chutney. Dal is made from any of many lentils along with tomato, spinach, turmeric, caramelized onions, red and black pepper, cumin and black mustard seeds. Plain white Basmati rice. Comfort food at our house.
Lit by two candles and a dimmed overhead light, I will share the white balanced version in the bucket.

View attachment 1648571
Nick, this looks beautiful and sounds absolutely delicious. But I like the photo beyond the wonderful presentation and color for something else as well: the slight and slightly different angles to the plate of the place mat, the napkin, and the fork. This I think adds a necessary tension to the photo since the plate and to some degree the food itself is so symmetrical. I like the shot very much.

Day 22:

Thought I'd have some fun today. There was a cop car in the neighborhood late this afternoon, but before I could gather my gear and try for a creative shot, er, photo, they had turned of their red and blue lights and were gone. So, being the creative guy that I think I am I figured I'd recreate the lighting using a couple of gelled flashes. I had to wait until the ambient light levels dropped quite a bit. Here is my favorite:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nick, this looks beautiful and sounds absolutely delicious. But I like the photo beyond the wonderful presentation and color for something else as well: the slight and slightly different angles to the plate of the place mat, the napkin, and the fork. This I think adds a necessary tension to the photo since the plate and to some degree the food itself is so symmetrical. I like the shot very much.
Thanks Harry. The tension was accidental, though I did square the plate with the image frame in post. I'd wished I'd used a different plate and a round on may have worked better.

Real Name
Andy
Day 22:

Thought I'd have some fun today. There was a cop car in the neighborhood late this afternoon, but before I could gather my gear and try for a creative shot, er, photo, they had turned of their red and blue lights and were gone. So, being the creative guy that I think I am I figured I'd recreate the lighting using a couple of gelled flashes. I had to wait until the ambient light levels dropped quite a bit.
Really nicely done. I saw the bucket image first (which I thought was quite good). This is even better.

Day 22:

Thought I'd have some fun today. There was a cop car in the neighborhood late this afternoon, but before I could gather my gear and try for a creative shot, er, photo, they had turned of their red and blue lights and were gone. So, being the creative guy that I think I am I figured I'd recreate the lighting using a couple of gelled flashes. I had to wait until the ambient light levels dropped quite a bit. Here is my favorite:

View attachment 1648618
A handsome specimen to be sure 🍷(y)

I am also a fan of Indian food and you have done a good job of capturing this meal, Nick. I'm in the camp which says that the WB is fine as is.
Your selfie conveys all sort of meanings... are they coming for you? have you made good your escape? Well done!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom