Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

First frost this morning but it went fast and early. So an early afternoon walk on a country road delivered up a couple of shots. These cottonwood leaves just popped in the bright sun, and the black driveway helped me out. Not a great composition, but it reflected my mood well.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Two very strong images to start, Nick.

Coffee is a good way to start any morning- particularly Oktober 1st. I believe that the original is more successful - cropping the plant has left a shadow which is a distraction without providing any more information.
The leaves on the road are great. 50mm requires a little more space to frame this kind of image and you have done very well.

I'm shooting a 50 as well this month- and looking forward to comparing notes with you as the challenge unfolds.

Last edited:
People say: Photography is no more interesting, everything has been shot already.
People reply: Yes, but not by everyone ;)
I add: And this is YOUR interpretation of 'fallen leaves on street/asphalt/concrete...' - and you did well.

I like the yellow-black Color contrast and the fact you went for dozens, hundreds of leaves, instead of just the common single one. 👍

Nicely done Nick!
People say: Photography is no more interesting, everything has been shot already.
People reply: Yes, but not by everyone ;)
I add: And this is YOUR interpretation of 'fallen leaves on street/asphalt/concrete...' - and you did well.

I like the yellow-black Color contrast and the fact you went for dozens, hundreds of leaves, instead of just the common single one. 👍
Thank you gentlemen.

A gray day, and I was in a meeting most of the day (I'm on the board of the Palouse Land Trust) so no real chance for pictures. Even more dismal when I got home at about 4:00. My wife, as some of you may remember, is of Norwegian heritage and has a predilection for candle light as so many Scandinavians do. I too find candle light soothing, so I fired up a few. This is one I liked, nice "flame bursts" from the f/16 aperture, land the long exposure helps show the warm ambiance of the room. All that you miss is the music: Willie Nelson's "My Way".

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Final board meeting at 7, so I best rustle up some food.

Real Name
Andy
This is one I liked, nice "flame bursts" from the f/16 aperture
and the long exposure helps show the warm ambiance of the room
I love the way you have captured the peaceful feel here. If you were interested in making the flame starbursts spikier in appearance, it could be done by bumping up to a faster shutter speed. The Z6 does quite well up to ISO 6400, which in this case would get you to about 1/15"

Number 3 echoes the warm tones from your coffee kick-of on Day 1, Nick. Do I detect a theme developing there?

Well done in any case - you have captured the mood in the room very nicely.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom