Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Day 11.

Bend Oregon. 7.5 hours of driving, a gorgeous day to drive. Walking back to the hotel and I realized I hadn't shot my picture yet. Fortunately the hotel had a wonderful selection of local beers and cider (Deschutes brewing--Abyss, Black Butte porter is at home here). We grabbed a couple of raspberry ciders and sat out on the patio where they had 6 or so warming fires (about 40F). Great way to end a Friday.

View attachment 1647956
Creative shot with the glass in front of the flame. Sounds like a great day.

Day 12:
Another travel day, and 4 hours at the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon. Lots of smoke and haze on the drive so no pictures, but I did manage this one at breakfast. Bend is a bike crazy town, so this seemed very appropriate and also of all the glass I own the 50mm is probably the perfect one for this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cool idea. And it fits the U.S. with their special metrics.

Now I do not only have to wonder how far 1 km is in feet or yards, hands or gardens, double-noses and... No, time's yet another mystery. How long is 1 minute, measured in U.S. double-spokes? Is 1 h = 36 spokes? Would liquid spokes differ?

Oh, and first of all we should know: Does the big hand go round the wheel in 1h really? Or in 12 7/21 of a Southern quarter-spoke, equaling 4 standard moons? And how's all that at p.m. or Fridays?

Last edited:
I'm unsure as to whether it is five to just past nine or twenty past the other but in any case, I'm assuming that the sun is over the yardarm.

Nice shot, Nick and I would agree that a fifty (or perhaps a Macro lens) would be the best choice for this subject. Thanks again for making the effort whilst on the road!

Day 12:
Another travel day, and 4 hours at the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon. Lots of smoke and haze on the drive so no pictures, but I did manage this one at breakfast. Bend is a bike crazy town, so this seemed very appropriate and also of all the glass I own the 50mm is probably the perfect one for this.

View attachment 1647999
Very nice capture of an unusual clock.

Day 11.

Bend Oregon. 7.5 hours of driving, a gorgeous day to drive. Walking back to the hotel and I realized I hadn't shot my picture yet. Fortunately the hotel had a wonderful selection of local beers and cider (Deschutes brewing--Abyss, Black Butte porter is at home here). We grabbed a couple of raspberry ciders and sat out on the patio where they had 6 or so warming fires (about 40F). Great way to end a Friday.
It is, Nick. And that is a very nice photo. Almost can sense being there with you.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Echo the other remarks mentioned above, but wanted to emphasize that color palette with the red and warm yellow on the rim/clock image is awesome.

Day 13:

Thanks all.

Today was a full day of wine tasting. I'm going with one of my better half (who would kill me if she knew this was here!). Here she is analyzing a white wine, Vermentino (Rolle in France). Early in the day so it is in good focus and the light contributes a lot to the shot.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple more in the bucket.

Day 7:

My morning walk delivered nothing worth shooting. Then a few moments ago the sun decided to show its face and so I shot some of the stairs in our house, sort of.

This is a view of the neighbors across the street to the north, a view we only see as we go up or down the stairs. Kind of a wasted or an occasional view. The odd exposure settings are a consequence of forgetting to turn off auto ISO that I'd been using this morning when I expected to need the higher ISO. As they say, memory is the second thing to go . . .:(

View attachment 1647628

interesting colours, nice view all the same

Last night I discovered my subject for today. This morning, when the sun would been behind the trees, a thick fog hung around too long. So I went out just after noon and got them front lit, and again at 4 (in the bucket). Hard to do justice to the impact this stand of 5 red maples has, but I do like this one best, even though the southern sky isn't as blue.
Bold, and good for the soul.

View attachment 1647826
pretty, i can see why you picked it

Day 11.

View attachment 1647956
creative image and well controlled

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom