Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Day 12:
Another travel day, and 4 hours at the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon. Lots of smoke and haze on the drive so no pictures, but I did manage this one at breakfast. Bend is a bike crazy town, so this seemed very appropriate and also of all the glass I own the 50mm is probably the perfect one for this.

View attachment 1647999

well that is a different time piece

Day 14.
A day of driving, hiking, a bit of wine and a great meal at Nick's in McMinnville, OR.

Spent a couple of hours on Hobbit Beach.
Meme14-007.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Wow - the way the mist follows the skyline, the whole secluded beach thing ...the photo portrayed a really pleasant looking place. I would like to visit Hobbit beach (and may - we are thinking about an extended trip to the PNW sometime in the next year or so.)

The couple in the mid-distance just raises my interest level. Their relative obscurity accentuates the beauty of the surroundings. This is how travel photography should look.

Wow - the way the mist follows the skyline, the whole secluded beach thing ...the photo portrayed a really pleasant looking place. I would like to visit Hobbit beach (and may - we are thinking about an extended trip to the PNW sometime in the next year or so.)

The couple in the mid-distance just raises my interest level. Their relative obscurity accentuates the beauty of the surroundings. This is how travel photography should look.
Nothing to add, that's how it should look!

Gentlemen thank you. The 50 has really won its place in my bag, on my camera now that I've used it for 2 weeks. Back in the day (70s and 80s) it was all I owned, and with the advent of quality zooms since I have viewed the world as 16-35 or 100-200 opportunities. The Octoberfest has helped change that!

Cheers all!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I recognize that place, and you captured the mood so well. Took a similar photo there in 2002, first year with digital.

Day 15:
Happy tasters; Trisaetum winery, OR.

Meme15-012_Nik_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Agree with Andy on the composition. Good job balancing the light with the window in background. I was wondering about the white balance though. Is it a bit yellow?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Nick on the tasting shot, maybe a touch of crop inward from the left to remove the shoulder. But love the animated expressions.

Day 13:

Thanks all.

Today was a full day of wine tasting. I'm going with one of my better half (who would kill me if she knew this was here!). Here she is analyzing a white wine, Vermentino (Rolle in France). Early in the day so it is in good focus and the light contributes a lot to the shot.
Good subject, light, and framing Nick. Wonderful shot.

Day 14 - not much I can add to what has already been said, Nick. A masterful photograph!

Day 15 - happy indeed! The saturated colors and artificial lighting make it warm and colorful. And I don't know what tools you have at your disposal when traveling. But if possible, I might try to lighten the saturation just a bit on their skin to make it a bit more natural looking. A great memento from the trip in any case.

Latest threads

Top Bottom