Critique 2019 Octoberfest – Palouse (Nick) Hardcore – Nikkor AFS 50mm f/1.8 G – October 31st.

Real Name
Chris
Day 29:
Waited for FedEx to deliver my new Z 50f/1.8 S lens, but had to go run some errands (It just got here, so sample shots tomorrow). On my way home I detoured through the country side and shot a couple. This fence looked nice and stark with the bare fields and the many angles made for an interesting shot. Besides, it is about time I shared a landscape shot.

View attachment 1649103

And what a beautiful landscape it is! The frosted tips really pull the look together.

I must not have done a good enough job, she just gave me permission to buy a new lens: Nikon Z 50, f/1.8S that Nikon is discounting for a another day! :love::love::love: I've had such a great time shooting with my venerable 50 f/1.8G that I've decided to invest in a new one. It's expected here on Tuedsday so I may have it in time to shoot a couple with it, probably as a comparison to my current lens.
It will be interesting to hear how you like it!! It has such rave reviews.

Good one Nick, you got some very nice photos with the little 50. It inspired me to get mine out of the closet, it's been sitting on my desk for a few weeks. Not a well used lens, one of these days I'll getaround to putting it on a camera. Thanks.

And time to catch up with writing in this outstanding thread, Nick! I really enjoyed looning at your imagery here and in the Bucket troughout October.
Day 20:

A dark, damp, dreary day. Catching up on accumulated mail, laundry, and the other aftermath of a week on the road. Now it's back to "reality".

I feel unfocused, uninspired, and am sitting here (chair is in the Bucket) listening to a radio show about the late Jessye Norman's best operatic work--lots of Wagner, so it is dark (even if it is all in foreign tongues). Dark, dark, dark . . .

View attachment 1648545
As much as I am an ignorant in Classic music ( I like to listen but cannot remember titles, compositions, interprets...), I know what a NAD is! Good shot of a mood!
Day 21:

Paying for the sins of out gluttony (last week's wine and food extravaganza) to night was a simple Indian peasant meal---dal and rice with a dollop of mango chutney. Dal is made from any of many lentils along with tomato, spinach, turmeric, caramelized onions, red and black pepper, cumin and black mustard seeds. Plain white Basmati rice. Comfort food at our house.
Lit by two candles and a dimmed overhead light, I will share the white balanced version in the bucket.

View attachment 1648571
White balance is all about maki g it look like you
- see it, or;
- want people to think it was.
No need to change anything here! As said by others. I really like hiw it tastes, too, as I can still smell it ;) Fan of Indian food!
Day 22:

Thought I'd have some fun today. There was a cop car in the neighborhood late this afternoon, but before I could gather my gear and try for a creative shot, er, photo, they had turned of their red and blue lights and were gone. So, being the creative guy that I think I am I figured I'd recreate the lighting using a couple of gelled flashes. I had to wait until the ambient light levels dropped quite a bit. Here is my favorite:

View attachment 1648618
Cheating, they were still there ;)
That is phenomenal flash work. Create a desired mood, not only photograph it when it is there anyway!
You did with great success!
Day 23:
Nice blue sky afternoon. Went around the neighborhood and despite the intense colors nothing tugged at me. Came home and thought I'd get some shots of the wife raking the lawn of leaves and suicidal pears. That was when I looked down, and there, when all the plant kingdom was getting ready for a long winter's nap, at my feet was the start of next year's weed patch getting a headstart.

View attachment 1648687
I know that, been in that boat of fiddling green out of the gaps...

Oh and may I add that this is a wonderful floorstone - as much as Paul's red October floor said "wall", this could well be a WALL (pretending to be a floor)...
We salvage the ones with no obvious insect or squirrel damage or bruising from the fall and eat them or give them away. We used to have neighbors who'd help eat them, but they moved away. The rotten pears get composted.
Your pears are what our apples are - too numerous to be eaten, all, select a few, give to whom might want to have a few, compost the wormy rest...
Day 24:

Dug out the Kenko extension rings again, this time the 32mm.

Worth its weight in gold, they say!

View attachment 1648738

Answer in the Bucket!
Good these don't weight that much. Got to enclose ours in case of burglary :)
Tasted well¿

Day 25:

Driving by the city maintenance yard I saw this nice collection of directives. Couldn't resist a photo, much the the consternation of flks driving by (I think I embarrassed my wife who was with me) :LOL:

(This is a slightly punchier version using Wade's advice, below)
View attachment 1648796
Not only the fall colours, but also the composition, arrangement of the signs are beautiful an fit the season well. Sometimes it is not about arranging a shot - which you did extraordinary well with the police light's portrait - it is about seeing the opportunity already there. Which you ALSO did well, as can be seen here!
Day 26:

Last day of our weekly Farmer's Market, and by default, probably the last day of real tomatoes for a long, long time.

View attachment 1648897
Oh my Italian mother, tomato loving family... Tjanks for this!
Day 27:

We had strong winds most of yesterday and I was hoping to find lots kids helping "rake" and jumping into big piles of leaves. None that I could find ;)

But then I saw my Bosc Pear tree--overnight it had gone from deep red to mahogany/coffee and was most striking. In 2 weeks it's gone from dark green, light green, yellow, orange, amber, red and now mahogany. I have a couple of more in the Bucket.

The light was at the wrong angle for a polarizer.

View attachment 1648930
It's been asked and explained, how they change colour every year to this deep, intense coffee. And so quick! Wonderful you were able to have them still on the tree like that, not only on the ground. And all together, same colour!
Day 28:

A ghost came to visit

View attachment 1649007
You knew I MUST like that ;)
Day 29:
Waited for FedEx to deliver my new Z 50f/1.8 S lens, but had to go run some errands (It just got here, so sample shots tomorrow). On my way home I detoured through the country side and shot a couple. This fence looked nice and stark with the bare fields and the many angles made for an interesting shot. Besides, it is about time I shared a landscape shot.

View attachment 1649103
Oh dear, that white stuff is back already!

Nice compositional thinking, btw

Day 30:
Well, with the dusting of snow yesterday, it sure looks like Christmas. In fact, I'm sure it IS:

View attachment 1649134
Nothing beats the image of a boy opening a box at Christmas :D

Yet another shot to learn from, what can be done with flash, and planning, and... self portraying!

And glad you're already getting ready for 2020 Octoberfest!

Oh, typing 2020, I think it should be shot with a similar named lens as 55, 20/20, 28/2.8, 35/3.5 or the like...

Day 31:

The sun came out, so I went for a walk in the University Arboretum. Made several appropriate images (my other choices are in the Bucket), but this one resonates most with me.
I call it Reflections, which I think is a very good way to summarize both my month-long involvement here and what I will be doing a lot of as I revisit all our images and words over the future days, months and beyond. Octoberfest has made me think and reflect. Thank you all!

Meme31-012_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 31:

The sun came out, so I went for a walk in the University Arboretum. Made several appropriate images (my other choices are in the Bucket), but this one resonates most with me.
I call it Reflections, which I think is a very good way to summarize both my month-long involvement here and what I will be doing a lot of as I revisit all our images and words over the future days, months and beyond. Octoberfest has made me think and reflect. Thank you all!

View attachment 1649207
Very pretty colors....I'm jealous. We still have snow here, and it barely warmed up above freezing for a couple of hours this afternoon. This has been a brutal week weather wise here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom