Share 2019 Octoberfest - Bucket

Day 17 bucket...

These were nice, especially the first one, which I was on the fence about, compared to the selected photo...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This wasn't as brightly colored...

This was pleasant as well, but just seems like it had no cohesion...

A little better IMHO...

There were so many leaves down, I couldn't find a spot with just a solo leave in a small puddle (and with it still drizzling and windy, I didn't want to try to clear an area).

Real Name
Chris
Much less the movie Twister and more a marvelous collection of Octobery leaves. It's really a wonderful collection Paul. These would look good printed about 20 or 30 inches, modernly framed and on a wall in a professional office. They are an exemplar of the style and subject.

Real Name
Chris
A Couple More Pods

Both of these are shot on Delta 3200 film, which I exposed and developed as if it were ISO 800 film: Seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20 degrees C to be exact. The advantage of pulled development is highlight protection. The increased exposure (lower metering ISO) gives better shadow detail. What's not to like?

Well for one, the grain of pulled film still looks like the film was faster, that is mid-tones have heavy, sharp grain. More grain means lower contrast, so you can use this as to further isolate near-far compositions.

Much less the movie Twister and more a marvelous collection of Octobery leaves. It's really a wonderful collection Paul. These would look good printed about 20 or 30 inches, modernly framed and on a wall in a professional office. They are an exemplar of the style and subject.
Thanks!

A Couple More Pods

View attachment 1648417

View attachment 1648418

Both of these are shot on Delta 3200 film, which I exposed and developed as if it were ISO 800 film: Seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20 degrees C to be exact. The advantage of pulled development is highlight protection. The increased exposure (lower metering ISO) gives better shadow detail. What's not to like?

Well for one, the grain of pulled film still looks like the film was faster, that is mid-tones have heavy, sharp grain. More grain means lower contrast, so you can use this as to further isolate near-far compositions.
Nice. The first one is my favorite of the two.

Thanks Andy. I wish there was less debris on the ground, so I could have isolated just a leaf or two.

Real Name
Andy
Need some astronomy expertise to help answer a question that came up about my Day 18 image. This is a crop of the top right portion of the frame.

Day 17 bucket...

These were nice, especially the first one, which I was on the fence about, compared to the selected photo...
View attachment 1648343

This wasn't as brightly colored...
View attachment 1648344

This was pleasant as well, but just seems like it had no cohesion...
View attachment 1648345

A little better IMHO...
View attachment 1648346
There were so many leaves down, I couldn't find a spot with just a solo leave in a small puddle (and with it still drizzling and windy, I didn't want to try to clear an area).
I like these to document how you went on to get the chosen shot! Some good ones, here, but still: you made the right choice!

For those interested in what the Summilux' apertures look like when taking closer portraits: Compare these to the f/1.4 in my thread. After checking these, I decided to go with the 1.4 shot.

More of Proxima Shepauri:

@ f/1.7

OF_2019_18a.JPG

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/1.7

@ f/3.4

OF_2019_18b.JPG

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/3.4

@ f/9.5

OF_2019_18c.JPG

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/9.5​

No expert by far... but Polaris is supposed to be in line with the axis of the earth should should be in the center, right?
I like these to document how you went on to get the chosen shot! Some good ones, here, but still: you made the right choice!
It was a tough call, and very subjective.

For those interested in what the Summilux' apertures look like when taking closer portraits: Compare these to the f/1.4 in my thread. After checking these, I decided to go with the 1.4 shot.

More of Proxima Shepauri:

@ f/1.7

View attachment 1648445

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/1.7

@ f/3.4

View attachment 1648446

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/3.4

@ f/9.5

View attachment 1648447

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/9.5​
Nice analysis. I'll have to look at your 1.4 shot in your main thread.

Day 19 bucket...

This is a farther back shot of the one submitted for today in my thread. It was a close second (and more in focus)...

OK, I just cannot go through the whole month of October without a 'real' portrait to show you a snippet of real life. :)

Sheep slaughtering

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/2.8

Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 @ f/2.8​

Day 19: Rainy departure:

Grand dog Stanley was reluctant to get into his seat in the truck for the 5.5 hour drive to Boise.

Puddles and leaves in the driveway. Should have used a polarizer. A huge plus for using the Nikkor 50 f/18 is the deep hood that keeps rain of the front element so well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom