Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 21 Oct

By the time I got done making this last set, I was glad to accept "nice shadows". But in my defense, it does suggest the beginning of a misadventure. Anonymous order to get into a black car ...

Yes, radical underexposure is one place film beats digital, but the latitude of modern digital images means that radical underexposure is many stops down. I think I was probably two or three stops too low here, and probably half a stop or more under-developed, so I had to apply more curve in Camera Raw than I like to do. If I were wet printing, this would require a complex split filter Multigrade print. I don't currently have access to a darkroom, so I'm saved from that job!

Composition kudos go to the architect of the garden, I simply found this scene. Fortunately I had TriX in my camera for this, so I was able to place the tones exactly where I wanted them. I would like to get as comfortable with these new films as I am with TriX, or Delta 3200, or HIE. (Beezle, if you are out there, I still have 2 rolls of the film you sent me years ago. Here's two shots from last Summer.)

I ran the fixer recycling rig for many years for the college's photography darkrooms. The best we ever did was to break even when all of the resources were taken into account.

If you want to be waste conscious, and strive for the spirit of RCRA (the resource conservation and recovery act) you can pour your spent fixer over steel wool and let it sit for a day. Then drain off and flush the liquid, and throw the black solid in the trash. It's a mixture of silver, silver oxide, iron and iron oxide. You can make silver nitrate from that mixture, which sells for more than an equivalent weight of silver, but it's a dangerous and non-trivial procedure: Dissolve the solid residue in nitric acid, and filter through GFA filter media. Raise the pH with concentrated (14+ molar) ammonia to flocculate out the iron (sorry, I just like saying flocculate.) Filter out the gelatinous iron hydroxide through #4 paper, and titrate the solution to neutral. Evaporate the solution in the dark. The result will be a mixture of silver nitrate and ammonium nitrate crystals. Wash it with ice water to selectively remove the ammonium salt. Sell the final powder for $5000 a pound if you can find a buyer. I don't know, perhaps there are precious metal cartels.
Gee...I think mining for bit-coin sounds easier... :)

Real Name
Chris
Thanks All!

The Dowa is indeed strangely and universally compelling to a long boy. Nice image.
Royce has 3 toy garbage trucks, 2 cement mixing trucks, I don't know how many fire engines, and one good grandfather with a strong hand on the tiller. All of these things are Dowa. Garbage trucks are his favorite. He wants to watch them as they pick up the trash, and can reproduce the hydraulic whine in a gratingly accurate way.

The human element makes that shot, and the story. Bravo.
Heh. I was trying to get Becky out of the picture, but I think she was nearly as enthralled as was the boy.

The Dowa is certainly an awe-inspiring creature.

And noisy as heck too, I bet.

Nice work, Chris
Very loud. I hear it every day as I wake up. Whether the real one is here or not.

That's a thing from my universe, for sure :p
Well, it's a physical manefestation of a Dowa. I don't know if you can photograph a metaphysical Dowa. As in this picture though, I have infrared film.

Nice shot. Title says it all!

Love the mood in that shot.

Well shot and very interesting subject!
They all seem like they could be a point of departure for a good old spooky tale. Hopefully I'll catch up to it soon.

Gee...I think mining for bit-coin sounds easier... :)
It's an enormously messy and toxic process. The reactive silver nitrate needs to be kept in amber glass bottles, and turns skin metallic black if you accidentally touch even a drop of it. You don't see it right away, you need to go out into the sunlight to develop the stains. Kind of a cool lesson on the chemistry of photography. Oh, and it takes weeks for the stain to leave (it can't be washed off once it's developed.) The black compound is silver proteinate, which used to be your skin.

I would never worry about the miniscule amount of silver ions in waste fixer - I reduce it with steel wool and toss that in the trash (the municipal landfill says that's fine.) The school had to comply with EPA (RCRA) with all the training, record keeping, community communications and waste handling that entails. We also had Deaprtment of Transportation and OSHA regulations to deal with. So I bought an expensive piece of equipment that had steel wool in canisters and we sent them to the reclaimer, free of charge. Easy peasy. All it took was doing recovery once to convince me it wasn't worth the hassle.

I've never mined for bitcoin, I understand it takes quite a bit of parallel computer power. Maybe I should wire up a couple thousand Arduinos?

Real Name
Chris
Day 8: The Dandelion
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Contre jour lighting with Washi F. Metered at iso 100, but the exact exposure was not recorded. The film was developed for 5 minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20°C. There will be more from my sunrise walk in the Bucket™.

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Nick! It was actually the coolest morning yet, about 68F. I tried to shoot every frame with the sun in the picture, or just outside the frame as in this one.

The way the grain works on this Washi film is unique. It's more prominent where the image is oof.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks!

Very unique lens flare rendering with this film. I can't imagine how challenging it would have been getting the intended result the old fashioned way. Nicely done.
I couldn't previsualize the flare! But the back illuminated flower with the oof background, and the detail in the ground cover, that was in my mind's eye, but flare is always left to the lens gods.

Image 8 is vintage Chris! Love the flare and the image oozes darkroom feeling!
I did a bit of dodging in the flower, and I imagined I was wet-printing it, so if I ever get a darkroom again, I'll be able to print this one.

Day 8: The Dandelion
View attachment 1647745

Contre jour lighting with Washi F. Metered at iso 100, but the exact exposure was not recorded. The film was developed for 5 minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20°C. There will be more from my sunrise walk in the Bucket™.
Very cool shot and development! You have quite the mastery of processing film.

Oh and it has a lot of things to be discovered, on top of the feel and look due to your film handling. I'm speaking of the details as how the grass / vegetation are rendered, the road's edge, the water that reflects the lamp... :) Enjoyable!

Real Name
Chris
Very nice. Just the sort of image which I expected you to produce... abstract enough to be interesting, documentary enough to be informative.
Thank you David, that's exactly what I strived for here. I thought about the flower as a lens to focus the sun into the lens.
Very cool shot and development! You have quite the mastery of processing film.
Thanks Paul. Film development is actually kinda hit or miss. One of the first lessons I learned was "only show the hits" and that is so true. Last week I threw away an entire roll of film, because there were no images on it. But, as in this pic, when I hit, I love it!
Oh and it has a lot of things to be discovered, on top of the feel and look due to your film handling. I'm speaking of the details as how the grass / vegetation are rendered, the road's edge, the water that reflects the lamp... :) Enjoyable!
I need to remember to get down, and close to the ground more often. Thanks for seeing all that Roland. My attention always goes right to the man-made structures in the background. Now I want to photograph what's under the grass!

Real Name
Chris
Day 9: What's That?

Real Name
Chris
Day 10: Espalier

This apple tree begins it's second year - It produced some very yummy, if small apples last season, it's first.

Real Name
Chris
Day 11: Play Time is Over

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom