Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Real Name
Chris
Here we are again, aren't we?

It is my intention to shoot film for this meme, and use my 60mm f/2.8 Micro with the ES-2 film digitizer. It's a better scan, and takes a fraction of the time that the Coolscan 5000 requires. (I'll post a justification for this statement elsewhere.)

But I will also be using a 35mm f/2 lens, of which I have four. Of those four lenses, one stands out:
summicronisol.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll use the Summicron exclusively with film, scanning it by photographing the negative with the 60 micro.

Will I be able to keep it up for a month? I have before, and I will try to now. But playing as a poser gives me an out. I also want to promote the new category. (When originally proposed in 2009 the word poser was considered to have negative connotations. But it's 2019 now, and we've grown ... ;) )

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Gordo!

Here's an update: my Octoberfest gear will be the 35/2 Summicron, film, and 850/60/ES-2/SB600 digitizing rig. I'll shoot a picture a day, but since I'm home-developing the film, my pictures will lag by a few days. I have put all my other lenses away in their respective bags, not to be retrieved until November. I'm keeping poser status, because I won't be posting daily.

Here's my lens:

Let the fun begin! (In 6 hours for me.)

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Wade! I've also got a 50 'cron, (also made in Canada - my entire Leica kit is Canadian) but I have problems with 50mm that I don't with 35. Probably my shooting style - I prefocus, preset the exposure, then blast away like it's a P&S. Well, maybe (if this works out) I'll do week 50 with it. My challenge will be to get my development routine down. I had a dedicated dark/bathroom at my old house, but it's a new world now.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with...hardcore in my book, given you are working with film.

Real Name
Chris
WARNING: This is still a pre-run picture!

Just so y'all don't think I've been sitting around all day:

Real Name
Chris
Heh. As are we all Rolland.

Hey Andy, I just processed rolls from day 1 and day 2, they in the drying chamber now. I mean shower. They are hanging on a bent polymer covered hanger in the shower my son and I share. I still need to work some kinks out of my process - as I was hanging the second roll, the makeshift rack disengaged from the hook I had it on, and both rolls of film hit the tub floor.

Now this wouldn't have been so bad, except Sam had taken a shower earlier, and his stinky body wash product was all over the tub, so I had to give everything a second pass through the photo-flow. I'm hoping any debris adds some 'post modernism' to the pics. Should have some images in a few hours (further calamities not-with-standing.)

Sorry to hear about the film hitting the deck and I hope that you were able to rescue things. I'm really excited to see some of your shooting again Chris.

Real Name
Chris
Day 1: the decisive moment:

Washi F type film at EI 400, 6.5 minutes in HC110b, exposure unrecorded.

Real Name
Chris
Day 2: the desk

Trix EI 800, 6.5 minutes of HC110b, exposure unrecorded.

Real Name
Chris
Day 3: railroad gangsta

Washi film type F, HC110b for 6.5 minutes. #80A filter.

Wow... manually focused, 'only' film ISOs on-hand, that's not easy to get sharp, because 1/2000 and f/11 are no option, I suppose?

==================

The second one needs several looks to sort out what one sees.

The table and the chair look old - but then, there is that ultra-modern keyboard.
The specks on the tabletop, the file, the paper and the over-all mood, combined with B&W, the first-glimpse metal boxes say: drug abuse, junkies place… but then, these are lenses in front of a computer workplace.

Very strong picture, Chris!!

==================

Oh, while I type. #3 shows up:
Yes, this one fits the series very well. Gangsta, for sure!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom