Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Filmgrain does have a " look " unrivalled by digital....I entered the digital era late ( 2008 )..convinced it could never replace film, but that was put to shame with the arrival of the Kodak SlrN...since then I have not looked back.....unless i could afford a 120 roll for the Horseman...but I have tucked away both Durst Laborator`s and just invested in a PC-E Nikkor 19 f4.0 , so film is out of the question for the moment.....sigh.

Real Name
Chris
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In #27 and #30, Royce looks like he is jumping out of frame. You have quickly mastered the Washi F in my estimation. #28 Looks surreal. The lighting in this image is represented in a nearly alien way. #29 Looks like two of the bots from our other Octoberfest colleague. Is that what you were going for? If so, success!
Thank you so much for checking this out Andy!

When I am able to correctly focus this lens with my rangefinder camera, the image really pops, that is probably why I paid such an exorbitant amount for this lens. I love it, even though I am still making payments that (in part) pay for my purchase of it. These old fashioned lenses tend to render out of focus parts of the image with lower contrast than the focused bits, which leads to the the 3D Pop look.

I didn't intend for the sacry tunnel to look like Rolands bots, to me it looked like a spider face, but now, I totally see the influence. Kry27's thread has totallty lead the way in this month's challenge, right!?

Real Name
Chris
Wonderful lines from the white, to the rails, to the ties for the track. Well done Chris.

Lots of contrast!
One of my favorite aspects of Washi F is the amount of white. It's a nearly orthochromatic film with no anti-halation layer. This layer is added to normal film to stop light from traveling through film emulsion as if it were a light-pipe, bouncing off each layer interface through the light sensitive emulsion. Little did those medical imagers know, but us pictorialists really dig this look. At first I used a bluish filter, like my 80B, but it doesn't seem to affect the look of the film. Maybe there is a stop(ish) of exposure extra without the filter. The tones also seem bit better without any filter. Metering as surely easier.

Midday sun in Arizona is known for contrasty lighting. Mostly we fight it, but open acceptance also has it's place. Five and a hald decades later that is ...

Real Name
Chris
Nice decorations lurking...
This is the tunnel for the park's train ride, they really go all out, decorating it for holidays. Halloween might just be the easiest. The lower part is the back of the engine, but to me it looks like a spider's face.

Love the expression and great composition, Chris.
Royce watches way too much You Tube. A lot of his expressions nd gestures are from the videos he watches there. Becky and I review them, and counteract when necessary. Royce's "iPad" is really a Kindle Fire 7", which has very good parental control capability, and we can limit or expand his selection in real time.

Real Name
Chris
Filmgrain does have a " look " unrivalled by digital....I entered the digital era late ( 2008 )..convinced it could never replace film, but that was put to shame with the arrival of the Kodak SlrN...since then I have not looked back.....unless i could afford a 120 roll for the Horseman...but I have tucked away both Durst Laborator`s and just invested in a PC-E Nikkor 19 f4.0 , so film is out of the question for the moment.....sigh.
Hi again Nikoneer, and welcome to the Cafe, and Octoberfest in particular!

I shoot quite a bit of film, and I've got to agree. The grain is a large part of it's unique character. I have explored duplicating the grain look with various digital techniques, and yes, some come incredibly close. However there is more to the "film look' than just grain. There's the extreme dynamic range that is difficult to capture in any digital medium, but jumps right out at you when looking at any darkroom prints. Film is at it's best when used in a start-to-finish analog experience, and that means making prints in a darkroom. I don't have access to a real darkroom currently, which caused me to invest in a digital camera capable of maximizing dynamic range, and using that camera as my scanner.

ps, I often shoot digital pictures too. I enjoy both media.

Real Name
Chris
Day 31: Extreme Makeup
extrememakeups.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Triple exposure on expired Kodak Portra 800 film, developed with the Unicolor powder C41 kit at 102°F. Boo!

While I like all, as others, I also have to agree:
Day 27: Still on Track
View attachment 1649135
Washi F
Still on track is the winner. You'll criticize me for looking besides the main subject, but: the reflection adds. The burnt out sky. The trees and their silhouettes, especially the two right behind Royce, looking as if they were one. The special 'glow'. (y)
Day 28: The Poodles Think It's 1962
View attachment 1649136
Washi Z with no filter
Yes you shot that about 60 years ago, must be Octoberfest 1962. Then you forgot it, until now...
Day 30: The Last Ta-Da of the DayView attachment 1649138
Washi F
What youtube's that face from ;) ?
View attachment 1649158
Triple exposure on expired Kodak Portra 800 film, developed with the Unicolor powder C41 kit at 102°F. Boo!
Hehe, yes, cross processing, multi exposure, strange things ... were all possible, have all been done, in film before! Glad you show something special, here!

View attachment 1649158
What an offbeat and unexpected shot, Chris. Reminds me of a mid '30's poster for a avantgarde gallery show. Well done, and perfect for the end of Octoberfest.

And thanks, Chris, for the kind words you have wafted my way during the month. I truly enjoy and look forward each year to sharing the month with you.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom