Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Real Name
Chris
While I like all, as others, I also have to agree:
Still on track is the winner. You'll criticize me for looking besides the main subject, but: the reflection adds. The burnt out sky. The trees and their silhouettes, especially the two right behind Royce, looking as if they were one. The special 'glow'. (y)
That special glow, in fact the special treatment of highlights is Washi F's signature. While I am not normally a fan of a bald sky, this film forces it. It is not sensitive to red light, and I don't have a green filter capable of darkening the sky. As far as monochromatic symbollism goes, the white sky seems appropriate.
Yes you shot that about 60 years ago, must be Octoberfest 1962. Then you forgot it, until now...
I knew it!
What youtube's that face from ;) ?
Royce watches a lot of You Tube with kids over acting. I joke with him about it sometimes. But also, I think he's a natural!
Hehe, yes, cross processing, multi exposure, strange things ... were all possible, have all been done, in film before! Glad you show something special, here!
I've had this roll of film for a couple years, it was labeled "8 shots taken". So I ditifully advanced the roll in the camera to exposure #10 and set-up and shot my double exposure of the pumpkin Olivia carved of her own face, and Royce in the same position. The alignment worked really well, I'm glad of that! But what I didn't realize was that the entire roll of film had been exposed with mundane stuff from around the house I used to live in. Additionally, several years of storage did not treat this film well. The base density looked like a bright highlight, requiring very deep scanning to get the image to come out! And there seemed to be some sort of ... blistering? along the edge.

None-the-less, it's got that artsy, post-post-modern look that only ruined film can truly show. Thanks for looking and helping me to understand the picture.

Real Name
Chris
Fantastic finale, Chris. This is like waking from a dream into another dream.
I LOVE that allegory Andy! Thank you.

31: The consequences of too much sugar? Hallucinations or vivid dreams!
Thanks so much for your unbridled energy, enthusiasm and humor, and your encouraging comments!
Too much time I'm afraid (see my explanation in a reply to Roland, above.) Thanks you, I think though, that I need to sleep for a week to recuperate from the nights spent scanning, adjusting, and straightening. It's been a blast, and thank you for your continuing comments on my postings.

Great final image Chris. Truly a great month of work from you.
Thanks Wade! And what a month it was, eh? Octoberfest always brings out the creativity, right? This was a wild one, for sure!

Wonderful work of art there Chris! I really enjoyed your film expose, during this challenge.
Heh. "Film exposure". Or in the case of #31, triple exposure! :LOL: I've really learned a lot this month, and I'll try to keep up with it. Thank you for your encouragement!

Real Name
Chris
Apparently nobody had a birthday on that day. Are you sure it was not just s "Fake Day"?
I see the operator there. Maybe he saw people I couldn't? Or maybe it wasn't even running. I never know. ;)

You've now got the film processing doing exactly what you want. Nicely executed Chris.
The backyard picture (1962) was a bit of a surprise, since we can't see it, I never know how to expose IR film. I usually make a guess, and bracket! But with action like this, I use the force (and post processing!) I do believe that I've gotten F down to a science though. It loves bright light ...

The highest of keys! Makes the sun as wet as the puddles. Cute shot of the little guy!
... so much so that it smears it all over the frame, where ever it will stick! Thank you for cheering me on in this crazy experiment!

What an offbeat and unexpected shot, Chris. Reminds me of a mid '30's poster for a avantgarde gallery show. Well done, and perfect for the end of Octoberfest.

And thanks, Chris, for the kind words you have wafted my way during the month. I truly enjoy and look forward each year to sharing the month with you.
Harry, I simply adore the pictures you post of your town, it's so easy to put myself inside them and vicariously visit Holyoke. You have encouraged me to look at my own city like you do yours. Thank you.

Real Name
Chris
Day 32: Epilogue

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This month I shot these seventeen rolls of film, developing on average every three and a half days. Two rolls were done at a time. I tried to match film and speed to get good results for both rolls. Here is my development schedule:

DateFilmMetered Development DateFilmMeteredDevelopment
10/2Washi F4006.5 minutes10/19Ilford Delta 4008007.5 minutes
10/2Kodak Tri-X4006.510/19Washi Z-7.5
10/5Washi Z-5.010/23Ilford Delta 320016009.0
10/5Kodak Tri-X4005.010/13Ilford Delta 4008009.0
10/8Ilford Delta 1001005.010/29Washi F1007.5
10/8Washi F1005.010/29Washi F1007.5
10/10Washi Z-5.010/29Kodak 400 Ultramax400-
10/15Ilford Delta 4008007.510/29Kodak Portra 800800-
10/15Ilford Delta 3200 16007.5

My processing of Washi F is to meter at ISO 100, and development for 7 and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20°C to get normal speed. Washi Z is a bit more difficult. EI 25 for a red filter, and 50 for orange or yellow gives mostly good results. With no filter, I gave it the full ISO 400.

I was able to extract 31 photos (a few more if you count the bucket pics), however I didn't actually shoot each picture on the specified day, nor did I post every day. So I'm glad that I held onto the Poser status for the month, just to keep the pressure at a reasonable level. I plan on continuing exploring these films, but perhaps at a more leisurely pace! :eek:

Thank you for another fantastic Oktoberfest Maestro. As per usual, your thread has been equal part tutorial, inspiration, storyboard and just plain fun. It was great to see your work up close again - we must continue!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom