Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Just getting caught up, Chris. Sorry to have been away.

There is very little I can add to what has already be said .... you are doing wonderfully interesting stuff with that strange film and processing. Days 9 and 11 are my favorites. "What's That" 's grain is just perfect, as is the obscurity of whatever is being pointed to. And every father or mother can relate. The pensive look in "Playtime is Over" is priceless, and another familiar look that you have caught and made fresh again for we oldsters. Love the alteration of abstract-ish and realism in your portrayals.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
10 and 11 are great very partial to number 11 and the subject, setting and split nature of the image.

Real Name
Chris
Thank you my friends. I do finally see a theme emerging, however it's not quite a story. Yet??

Some manage to stick to a theme, some manage to stick to a mood. Somehow, you do both!
Another terrific little mini-series Chris. I'm loving the feel of this film work.

What's That? is simply wonderful.
I think Roland said it all, best! So glad you are back!
Very artistic feel.

I love what you're doing with the infrared (?) film.

Strong image with great mood and a title that befits the perfect capture of the boy's facial expression.
Yes, Washi Z is a near-infrared sensitive film. It had spectral response characteristics similar to Kodak HIE but without the "halation" effect. Another Washi film, F has good haloing effect, but is not even red sensitive! Go fig.

Just getting caught up, Chris. Sorry to have been away.

There is very little I can add to what has already be said .... you are doing wonderfully interesting stuff with that strange film and processing. Days 9 and 11 are my favorites. "What's That" 's grain is just perfect, as is the obscurity of whatever is being pointed to. And every father or mother can relate. The pensive look in "Playtime is Over" is priceless, and another familiar look that you have caught and made fresh again for we oldsters. Love the alteration of abstract-ish and realism in your portrayals.
I missed my own children's early times because I adopted them post toddler. This early stuff is all new to me, and it's delightful.

So far all my pictures have been straight scans of the full 35mm frame, with only curve adjustment for negative inversion and range adjstment. Wh0at's That? is a departure: I cropped it - the final image is about two thirds of the full frame. The camera I'm using for this meme is fully manual, so I guess at the exposure after a rudimentary reading with a handheld meter. With these new films, I don't yet know the proper EI , and then there's the complex filter/source interaction, and ... well, I don't really know what I'm doing.

There's a lot of hit or miss:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nicely done!
Love the mood on that shot. Well exposed.
"Well exposed." ... It's pure luck Paul, pure luck. See above.

10 and 11 are great very partial to number 11 and the subject, setting and split nature of the image.
Thanks Wade. By "split nature", do you mean the high contrast processing, or the allegory. Interactions with my children always recall the 1961 episode of the Twilight Zone with Billy Mumy. Until tonight I didn't know they made a sequel for the second run of Twilight Zone, with Mumy's daughter in the starring role.

Real Name
Chris
Day 12: It's Not What It Looks Like
notwhatitlookslike.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm think Roland's creatures might be invading the other threads?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Chris my “split” was in the mood or personality hinted at by the facial expression, and split between your title play time over and how the moods can be split in youngsters from one moment to the next. And upon further thinking your split of light and dark adds to that theme,

Regarding 12, keep an eye out, they can be anywhere!

Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the explanation Wade - that makes sense.

Roland, I jumped back as soon as I got my shot, and kept my eye on the 'thing'. There is another one on the other side of the park (but it's blue.) It must cause a lot of mayhem, because it's always wet around it.

I haven't gotten any film processed for a couple days due to celebrations going on around my wife's birthday. I hope to get some film souped tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest. I've been doing some light shooting each day though, so be patient, my thread will continue shortly.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Paul. Film itself is magic! And a lot of work. Tomorrow I'll be 3 days behind, but (hopefully) I'll catch up then. I've got an exposed roll and will finish the one in the camera tomorrow morning. Then I'll soup & scan both rolls. I haven't shot any of my Delta 3200 yet. When I do, you'll see some grain!

Real Name
Andy
This early stuff is all new to me, and it's delightful.
Your images continue to bring enjoyment. And it is worth saying that the effort you have undergone to do this all with manual exposure and wet processing film is extremely notable. But your statement above is the icing on the cake. I'm so glad to get this peek into this special aspect of your personal journey. Thanks for sharing it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom