Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Real Name
Chris
Day 13: The Ocotillo Fence
ocotillofence.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Washi F

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Day 14: The Chaos Generator
chaosgenerator.jpg

Delta 400 with B+W NL 4 close-up 'filter'

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Day 15: Two Dogs in the Yard
twodogsintheyard.jpg

Delta 400 with B+W 090 filter

Real Name
Chris
Day 16: The Pods

Delta 3200 with B+W NL4 close up 'filter'

View attachment 1648225
View attachment 1648226
Whoa, you're really getting dialed in on this film, filters, and exposures Chris. These are wonderful. Given all the work put in, it seems churlish of me to suggest that the dogs shot might have benefited from a bit more DOF in the filming. But at my age, we are allowed to be churlish. The "pods" shot is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. The pods and webs are sharp, the abstract OOF background is perfect, and the grain of the background image is just right. Superb shooting and processing Chris!!

View attachment 1648223
Washi F
Interesting looking fence material. :)

View attachment 1648224
Delta 400 with B+W NL 4 close-up 'filter'
You don't see proto-boards any more (let alone resistors, caps, and non-surface mount ICs). Enjoyable shot.

View attachment 1648225
Nicely taken.

View attachment 1648226
Nice shot. I actually like the one in the bucket better. :(

Real Name
Chris
Whoa, you're really getting dialed in on this film, filters, and exposures Chris. These are wonderful. Given all the work put in, it seems churlish of me to suggest that the dogs shot might have benefited from a bit more DOF in the filming. But at my age, we are allowed to be churlish. The "pods" shot is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. The pods and webs are sharp, the abstract OOF background is perfect, and the grain of the background image is just right. Superb shooting and processing Chris!!
Thanks Harry. Churl away. I'd have liked more, at least to get their tails in, but it was right at sundown, I had a very dense filter on the lens, and I think I was running out of hand-holdability. So f/2 or 2.8 was as good as I could do.

Not sure about this .... sharp and well exposed, but doesn't do a lot for me as a photo.

Reminds me of my first crystal radio kit. I think I might have cropped it some.
Heh. "Sharp".

The device takes entropy from imprecise human button pressing and translates it into a 'true random number' between 0 and 15. I think I'm gonna build some electronic dice with this, I've not encountered this method for generating TRNs elsewhere.

Real Name
Chris
Interesting looking fence material. :)
It's at the park across the street, and they have a yard for the Boy Scout troop to use fenced off with ocotillo all the way around. Out by the road (the pictured section) is the only part they have live plants, so that's the part I shot.

You don't see proto-boards any more (let alone resistors, caps, and non-surface mount ICs). Enjoyable shot.
I make electronic projects from time to time, and everything I make uses 'through hole' technology. My skills are insufficient to solder smt by hand. Unfortunately through hole components are getting harder to find.

Nicely taken.

Nice shot. I actually like the one in the bucket better. :(
Thanks Paul. I agree about the bucket shot, it's better composition. I went with this one because it fits my spooky, Octoberish theme better with the tree and prominent webs.

Thanks Roli! Was it funny because of the (almost) CSNY lyrics in the title?
Sorry, I don't know what CSNY lyrics might stand for… no clue of these songs.

It was funny.... because...
  • the dogs looked like (difficult to translate, "bestellt und nicht abgeholt")… all dressed up and nowhere to go, stand there lost
  • the dogs stand at the lower end of the frame, looking out of it. So it seemed you photographed the yard, exposed, had the film developed! - and realised THEN there where two dogs, overlooked when taking the shot
  • their tails lookes as if they have been plugged in, recently, static forces leading to the … hairdo ;)
  • so much more…
No. It cannot be the beer I just had.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
13, sorry, does not float my boat much, 14, man I freakin love this image, love the high key white and the minimalistic aspect of the image. 15 nice, and appreciate the tones and filter use on this image. 16 and the 3200 Delta is stunning too, great grain and love the sharp fore and out of focus background, love the Pods. But Chaos Generates the blue ribbon! Props on darkroom.

Real Name
Chris
Sorry, I don't know what CSNY lyrics might stand for… no clue of these songs.

It was funny.... because...
  • the dogs looked like (difficult to translate, "bestellt und nicht abgeholt")… all dressed up and nowhere to go, stand there lost
  • the dogs stand at the lower end of the frame, looking out of it. So it seemed you photographed the yard, exposed, had the film developed! - and realised THEN there where two dogs, overlooked when taking the shot
  • their tails lookes as if they have been plugged in, recently, static forces leading to the … hairdo ;)
  • so much more…
No. It cannot be the beer I just had.
It's Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's Our House:
Our house is a very very fine house,​
With two cats in the yard,​
Life used to be so hard,​
Now everything is easy ...​
It describes my life, except it's dogs. That reminds me, it's 5 o'clock, and I have an Asahi beer waiting in the fridge.

Yes, the dogs are constantly electrified, but we're getting them trained.

Real Name
Chris
13, sorry, does not float my boat much, 14, man I freakin love this image, love the high key white and the minimalistic aspect of the image. 15 nice, and appreciate the tones and filter use on this image. 16 and the 3200 Delta is stunning too, great grain and love the sharp fore and out of focus background, love the Pods. But Chaos Generates the blue ribbon! Props on darkroom.
Seems to be the consensus on 13. I was thinking when I shot it, the pic would be better if something interesting were going on behind the wall.

I wasn't sure about the chaos generator at all, so I'm really glad you like it! The two things I make over and over are clocks (timers, orreries, date count-downs, etc.) and random number generators (dice, magic 8 balls, i ching, etc.) They are opposite things in my mind - ultimate order, and no order at all, done by directing electrons through different wires. I'll post a couple of my other 'chaos generators' in the bucket (photographed with my declared scanner.)

Real Name
Andy
Not sure how it fits in with the story yet, but as a standalone image, not your best composition. Interesting rendering of highlights with this film type.
Great title for a clean, simple, and strong image
Love this!
Nicely composed image. Looking forward to seeing how it fits into your story.

Another great set here, Sensei.
The Fence really appeals - what is it hiding? Who built the thing? (Very Tom Waits)

I love the idea of a chaos generator (and I won't mention the fact that I share a house with one). ;)

The dogs and your pods are terrific as well. Loving the look of the grain from that Delta. How did you rate it for exposure?

Real Name
Chris
Another great set here, Sensei.
The Fence really appeals - what is it hiding? Who built the thing? (Very Tom Waits)

I love the idea of a chaos generator (and I won't mention the fact that I share a house with one). ;)

The dogs and your pods are terrific as well. Loving the look of the grain from that Delta. How did you rate it for exposure?
Thanks David. Yeah, pretty much everything in my life is newly chaotic. Before retirement, I had a 'fortress of solitude' in town, but now I am fully integrated with the Family. I've got a lot more money, but a lot less time. Thanks for liking the Fence. I was starting to get a complex.

My favorite Tom Waits song is Poor Edward. My favorite Tom Waits movie is Wristcutters.
A local Boyscout troop built it.

I shot a roll of Delta 400, and a roll of Delta 3200, but I wanted to develop them together in the same tank. I've been pairing rolls for development in all but one case so far. By shooting the 400 at EI 400, and the 3200 pulled to EI 800, I could give both of them seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B, and so I did. Pulling 3200 in this way gave me a density range I was not used to for this film while retaining it's palatable grain.

Real Name
Chris
Not sure how it fits in with the story yet, but as a standalone image, not your best composition. Interesting rendering of highlights with this film type.

Great title for a clean, simple, and strong image

Love this!

Nicely composed image. Looking forward to seeing how it fits into your story.
Hey Andy, thanks for the compliments. 👍

I'm really struggling with a story concept this year. Perhaps it's because the film handling aspects are keeping me so busy, or perhaps the story (classically a dark setup with a redeeming conclusion) isn't quite, you know, manifesting. It may not happen during this meme. I've got some ideas, but I'm not making/finding the right images for them. Nonetheless, I am working on a mood which includes a suggestion of more to come, and a particular (spooky) look. Both of these aspects are supported by my choice of medium. I pre-bought 19 rolls of film for Octoberfest, and I have 9 left. None of them are films I regularly shoot, causing me to be slower and more deliberate than I would otherwise be. I pull out the meter much more often that usual.

So I guess my story is nonfiction. I'm describing my encounter with some of the Washi films, refining my use of the Delta films, and learning to use spectral cut off filters with these films. All the while keepin' it October.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom