Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Chris101 - Poser - 35mm Summicron on film - 31 Oct - fin

Real Name
Chris
I'm not sure this would qualify for a patent Harry. The background work required is burdensome. I'll look into it, but I've released most of my patentable/copyrightable stuff into the public domain. It's just easier that way.

Real Name
Chris
Day 17: Precision
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That grain is something else, Chris. We are spoiled by our digits. But you are now doing a wonderful job with that film.

Incidentally, the coffee shop where my "geezer group" sits several days a week has a low table with toys and books for kids near us, and it never fails to fascinate us old codgers how different the style of approach to this train set is among youngsters in the 4-5 year old range. In setting up the track, some will be precise engineers, studying the pieces and then fitting them together without much ado, but usually in very conventional shapes. Some will be budding theoretical scientists, observing the pieces, thinking hard, then attempting to build intricate and elaborate shapes. Some kids succeed eventually in completing a setup loop through trial and error. Some kids never do catch on. And, finally, some kids just create a flowing shape and joyfully run a car or cars back and forth on it for tens of minutes at a time. I think these folks may be our future artists.

Catching with all the threads in Octoberfest. Chris, it’s a very interesting thread and it’s a pleasure to see how it develop. I can’t imagine before how one can do it with film.

I've been off the grid for a few days, so do excuse the big dump of comments.

12: The stark black of that drinking fountain is such a foil for the grain and the softness of the rest of the shot.
13: That could be a photograph from a century ago--if one discounts the wire fence.
14: Ah the doomsday machine. Lavishing your focus and exposure as you did makes for such a strong image - 8 seconds/hours/days/years to ????
15: Obviously you are not the center of their attention.
16: The pods take on new meaning with that contextual background.
17: love the fact that his head is in a deep dark shadow. Grain is rather useful for dampening reflections and glare.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
17, capturing the train master at work, well done and excellent capture. I have not developed film since the mid to late 80s but I remember the process well, kudos!

Real Name
Chris
I'm so sorry that I have not had time to make any comments. Thank you to everyone who has looked and proffered opinions about my last pics.I'll get back to you! I've been engaged in family activities that include my son getting a new job AND back in school - hopefully he will be successful at both, but it will take some work. His daughter has here for the last three days, but he (and his "baby mama") asked that I not take any pictures of her ... yet. She's a beauty, so wait hopefully they will be coming soon.

I have come to realize that my thread story is essentially 31 days of Royce.

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Day 18: Budget Ghosts

Delta 400 exposed at iso 400, developed for seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20 degrees celcius.

Real Name
Chris
Day 19: What's That 2

Delta 400 exposed at iso 400, developed for seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution B at 20 degrees celcius. (same roll as above)

Real Name
Chris
Day 20: Pushing Back

I have finally nailed exposure on Washi Z! EI 50 (!!), Seven and a half minutes in HC110 dilution b (codeveloped with the above roll of Delta 400.) I used a B+W 090 filter.

I've got to give a nod to Roland's world for the antagonist in this picture. I've thought all along these creatures are fighting for total supremacy - they seem to be making real headway - not only in his thread, but in others, including this one! :eek:

Fortunately someone is pushing back!

18: Ghosts have sort of an Area 51 sort of look, but what are they doing in AZ?
19: Sibling "rivalry" or some such interaction that adults just don't get.
20: Brave fella--going head to head with a monster.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom