Critique 2019 Octoberfest - Commodorefirst (Wade) - Hardcore - 2018 ipad 6 at widest setting - October 31, finis, or as I say as a musician Fine.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
This shot is my spouse’s idea, after taking her pic last night, (emergency I kept saying,) she said why don’t you take a photo of our clock. So this morning I did.

It proved to be extremely difficult, almost as hard as the piano fall harvest still life. My problem was the massive reflections. We are different in our decor, and we have a black lacquer grandfather clock, curio, to go with my grand piano. Have had them for years, but we are anti polished brass and instead opt for chrome or polished silver stainless looks in the living room. I have mirrored the back of our grandfather case and also chromed the pendulum and counter weights as a contrast and to match. I left the face plate brass. Hence my problem of exposing properly for mirrors, black frames, and silver weights. I had overexposed blown highlights, lost details, probably threw away 20 tries. Finally settled on a side angle shot that looked interesting. Gee thanks for the suggestion Diane. (no she never comes here). She commented as she walked by, you still doing that.... a half hour later.

B9075636-E327-4B25-9147-202226472C49.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Paul
This shot is my spouse’s idea, after taking her pic last night, (emergency I kept saying,) she said why don’t you take a photo of our clock. So this morning I did.

It proved to be extremely difficult, almost as hard as the piano fall harvest still life. My problem was the massive reflections. We are different in our decor, and we have a black lacquer grandfather clock, curio, to go with my grand piano. Have had them for years, but we are anti polished brass and instead opt for chrome or polished silver stainless looks in the living room. I have mirrored the back of our grandfather case and also chromed the pendulum and counter weights as a contrast and to match. I left the face plate brass. Hence my problem of exposing properly for mirrors, black frames, and silver weights. I had overexposed blown highlights, lost details, probably threw away 20 tries. Finally settled on a side angle shot that looked interesting. Gee thanks for the suggestion Diane. (no she never comes here). She commented as she walked by, you still doing that.... a half hour later.

View attachment 1647823
I can see the challenges. You handled it well. A great looking clock!

Real Name
Paul
iPad Fall Harvest still life portrait.

I spent a great deal of time on setting up this image today since I am not traveling anywhere, about an hour spent thinking and figuring out how to work with my limitations. More details on set up over in the bucket area, no added lights, natural light and my studio was my living room.

View attachment 1647693

Okra, Sungold Tomatoes, and Mexican sour Gherkens on a coaster.
Super job!

I'll bet you can figure out a solution to hold a polarizer over the lens of the iPad camera.;):ROFLMAO:
Nice image, reflections and all.

That would have been my solution after tearing up dozens of attempts.

Thanks for your perseverance Wade. The result was certainly worth it in the end.

Ok, after yesterday’s concentrated effort, going the other way today. Today was clean out garage day, 7 hours later, we plopped down in the living room to watch the Cards Braves game 5. An hour later after watching a 10 run first inning, (Go Cards!) it dawned on my addled brain, oh #&$” I have a challenge still to do today. Well, nearing 5 pm, cloudy, no light, time to panic.... took a photo of the tv with the score 10-0, nah... then my lovely spouse of 35 years sat down with her blue iPad cover and red cardinal shirt. Color pop. No interior lighting, natural light from the windows. No post work, simple crop. Simple image, forgive me today, at least I remembered!

View attachment 1647767
OK, you've used that card now, pressure arises ;)

View attachment 1647823
So much to discover, here, from materials to shapes, reflections to deep blacks, and: anyone noticed the strange font type used for the "8"? ;)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Raining today, and I am out and about for most of the day, as I was leaving in the drizzle, I stopped and hopped out of the truck to grab this shot titled “4000lbs.” All manually unloaded last week. Still feeling that on my retired body.

70 or so cattle panels, 80 8’ t-posts, a large number of heavy wood posts, etc etc etc, preparing to fence the orchard. As noted in the background most of our fruit trees are only top heavy with vegetation, thanks to 4 legged critters feasting on the lower leaves and fruit.

Thought the tones and colors looked nice in the rain, hence me getting wet.

F6B4C485-CC35-42DD-B6F6-D6FA48DE507D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Inspired by David’s abstracts on his Octoberfest, today I produced a square crop of my daily image, converted into pure grey scale B&W.

View attachment 1647541
Very creative capture, wade.
Traveling locally today, not much chance for photo ops, but I grabbed this wall shot while entering a location with early morning warm light. Very amazed still with the sharpness of this iPad camera. No post sharpening at all, just cropping. My apologies for not posting in other threads as much today. Will catch up later this evening.
Thanks for showing us what that iPod can do, Wade. You aren't the only one amazed!

Raining today, and I am out and about for most of the day, as I was leaving in the drizzle, I stopped and hopped out of the truck to grab this shot titled “4000lbs.” All manually unloaded last week. Still feeling that on my retired body.

70 or so cattle panels, 80 8’ t-posts, a large number of heavy wood posts, etc etc etc, preparing to fence the orchard. As noted in the background most of our fruit trees are only top heavy with vegetation, thanks to 4 legged critters feasting on the lower leaves and fruit.

They do look nice .... and wet! Man, my back is still sore from unloading speakers and boxes full of magazines to anchor them. I can't imagine!

Ok, after yesterday’s concentrated effort, going the other way today. Today was clean out garage day, 7 hours later, we plopped down in the living room to watch the Cards Braves game 5. An hour later after watching a 10 run first inning, (Go Cards!) it dawned on my addled brain, oh #&$” I have a challenge still to do today. Well, nearing 5 pm, cloudy, no light, time to panic.... took a photo of the tv with the score 10-0, nah... then my lovely spouse of 35 years sat down with her blue iPad cover and red cardinal shirt. Color pop. No interior lighting, natural light from the windows. No post work, simple crop. Simple image, forgive me today, at least I remembered!
Boy, do I know that feeling, Wade!

iPad Fall Harvest still life portrait.

I spent a great deal of time on setting up this image today since I am not traveling anywhere, about an hour spent thinking and figuring out how to work with my limitations. More details on set up over in the bucket area, no added lights, natural light and my studio was my living room.

View attachment 1647693

Okra, Sungold Tomatoes, and Mexican sour Gherkens on a coaster.
What a beautiful shot ... with any camera. Love the natural lighting and black background. Extraordinary with an iPad, Wade. Very, very well done!

Real Name
Paul

View attachment 1647907
Wow, that looks like a big project. Nice capture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom